Ram Has To Buy My Truck Back

My guess is the network to distribute their predominately european lines. It's instant market share. Locally two of the Chrysler dealerships are now 'Chrysler/Fiat/Maserati/Ferrari' dealerships...

The Maserati and Ferrari relationships have been around since the Iaccoca days, that's true, but Fiat has always had a distribution presence in the U.S.. Chrysler almost destroyed Daimler, for Fiat to buy them is a big risk for the potential gain.

Might want to look into the warranty issues on that one. LOTS of people waiting for replacement engines for months because FiChry won't pull them off the assembly line. Those engines have been plagued with first year development issues.

I haven't looked closely at them yet, thanks for the heads up. :yes:

What recall?

This is why the NTSB is requiring them to buy the truck back. I was never notified of any recalls. ;).

:happydance:

These articles read as if they were already recalled...interesting.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/more-t...ps-recalled-for-accidental-airbag-deployment/Following a $105 million total fine involving axle and steering defects on other Ram pickups, the automaker issued two separate recalls for 2012-2015 models. The first recall affects 1.06 million trucks, affecting 1500 through 5500 trim levels from 2012-2014, for a driver’s-side front airbag that can suddenly deploy due to an electrical short. A wiring harness inside the steering wheel can rub against a retainer spring in the airbag module. FCA first investigated the problem in September after receiving parts from three defective vehicles. In total, FCA knows of 55 inadvertent deployments and has bought back two pickups. Dealers will put caps on the springs and tie down the wiring harness so they don’t contact each other. Only vehicles with the Electronic Vehicle Information Center option are included.

The second recall involves 667,406 Ram pickups from 2013-2015—this time, only 1500 through 3500 models are included—for side and curtain airbags that can deploy when the doors are slammed shut. In addition, the seat-belt pretensioners can activate.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/fca-will-buy-back-578000-ram-trucks-after-failed-recalls/
Update: In a statement, FCA explains that the buyback offer only extends to owners who have not yet had their vehicles repaired in accordance with the recall. “As of this date, repairs have been completed on well over 60 percent of the subject vehicles, leaving less than 200,000 eligible vehicles,” the automaker says in the statement. Our original post has been edited to reflect these updated numbers.

This is going to be interesting, I think the term "buy back" may be a bit of a stretch, but let's go with it. It appears that people that own the affected vehicles can sell them to Chrysler/Fiat for NADA or some other book value, plus some amount of cash or rebate towards another vehicle. Sounds like a cash for clunkers that is funded by the manufacturer. :dunno:
It's not going to get any better after the GM key fiasco, the government agencies and the manufacturers are on high alert and recalling vehicles for every imaginable reason.
I'd like to hear from someone that has gone through the process. ;)
P.S. I am glad it's not Ford. :D

These articles read as if they were already recalled...interesting.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/more-t...ps-recalled-for-accidental-airbag-deployment/Following a $105 million total fine involving axle and steering defects on other Ram pickups, the automaker issued two separate recalls for 2012-2015 models. The first recall affects 1.06 million trucks, affecting 1500 through 5500 trim levels from 2012-2014, for a driver’s-side front airbag that can suddenly deploy due to an electrical short. A wiring harness inside the steering wheel can rub against a retainer spring in the airbag module. FCA first investigated the problem in September after receiving parts from three defective vehicles. In total, FCA knows of 55 inadvertent deployments and has bought back two pickups. Dealers will put caps on the springs and tie down the wiring harness so they don’t contact each other. Only vehicles with the Electronic Vehicle Information Center option are included.

The second recall involves 667,406 Ram pickups from 2013-2015—this time, only 1500 through 3500 models are included—for side and curtain airbags that can deploy when the doors are slammed shut. In addition, the seat-belt pretensioners can activate.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/fca-will-buy-back-578000-ram-trucks-after-failed-recalls/
Update: In a statement, FCA explains that the buyback offer only extends to owners who have not yet had their vehicles repaired in accordance with the recall. “As of this date, repairs have been completed on well over 60 percent of the subject vehicles, leaving less than 200,000 eligible vehicles,” the automaker says in the statement. Our original post has been edited to reflect these updated numbers.

Mine is a 2011. Both recalls don't in involve mine, but the buy back does. I have never been notified of any recalls hense the mandated buy back. They are being slapped around for dragging their feet. Win Win!

Last edited:
So what happens to the bought back trucks? Do they just repair them and put them out on the used lot?

So what happens to the bought back trucks? Do they just repair them and put them out on the used lot?

Yes. They will install or comply with the recall notice, inspect the truck and either put it on their own lot, or send it to auction. Which is why I mentioned that all of them are required to be labeled as a 'buy-back' or lemon vehicle. You can get serious savings on some of them based on the severity of the buy-back issue.

I really, really hate stuff like this. As a card-carrying libertarian I rue the needless regulations. But - Chrysler should be nailed right to the effing wall for this kind of mistake.

Thanks for posting. Surprised it isn't getting wider attention.

It's all over my Facebook feed for the last couple of days. Funny that people would bother.

Mine is a 2011. Both recalls don't in involve mine, but the buy back does. I have never been notified of any recalls hense the mandated buy back. They are being slapped around for dragging their feet.

It will be interesting to see if they determine you are not eligible for buyback...

"The Italian-American automaker admitted it broke the law in failing to quickly repair vehicles in three separate recall campaigns and agreed to buy back as many as 578,000 older Ram pickups for steering issues after some owners said they have waited 18 months or longer for repairs because of parts shortages."

"NHTSA said in the 23 recall campaigns Fiat Chrysler failed in a timely fashion to fix vehicles, notify owners of defects or notify NHTSA of recalls or safety related communications in a timely fashion. The agency earlier this year accused the automaker of misleading it.

Vehicles in the buyback program include 265,000 2008-12 Ram trucks for a tie-rod assembly steering problem; 35,942 2008-12 Ram 4500 and 5,500 trucks recalled for similar steering problems; and 278,000 2009-12 Ram pickups, 2009-11 Dodge Dakotas, 2009 Dodge Durangos and Chrysler Aspens for a rear axle pinion nut problem that can cause the axle to lock up."

"If you like your truck, you'll be able to keep your truck"

:D

Mine is a 2011. Both recalls don't in involve mine, but the buy back does. I have never been notified of any recalls hense the mandated buy back. They are being slapped around for dragging their feet. Win Win!

What am I missing. It appears they have to buy it back for FMV, which by definition, is what you could have gotten in an arm's length transaction. Why the excitement?

What am I missing. It appears they have to buy it back for FMV, which by definition, is what you could have gotten in an arm's length transaction. Why the excitement?

No haggling with Craig's list people, instant sale, way better than trade in, you can plan the day to give them the truck, I can put my old tires back on, and I get a new truck!

Mine has 110k miles, been wrecked twice (repaired at the Dodge dealer so they can't ding me on the car fax) so I'm due. I was looking at a new truck anyway. This just sweetens the deal. :yes:

"When life gives you lemons, make lemonade."

A phrase that the owners of Chrysler Corporation products are intimately familiar with.

:goofy:

"When life gives you lemons, make lemonade."

A phrase that the owners of Chrysler Corporation products are intimately familiar with.

:goofy:

Tell me about it, I have a 2008 Grand Cherokee that has a continual code for an O2 sensor. I love that SUV, but I think I am done with Chrysler.

Buying a used truck now, and looking at the Ford F250 with V10. Getting great reviews unlike the new 6L Diesel which is getting hammered in the media.

The new Ford diesel is the 6.6 - the 6.0 had problems, so they made another one.

I'm gonna wait until some of the buy-backs are on dealer used lots. Hope they want to move them at a discount.

Since they're going to repair them and then put them on the lot, seems like it'll be very good hunting for used Dodges for quite a while, once the buy backs start. Could be a great time to pick up a used one.

The new Ford diesel is the 6.6 - the 6.0 had problems, so they made another one.

Since they're going to repair them and then put them on the lot, seems like it'll be very good hunting for used Dodges for quite a while, once the buy backs start. Could be a great time to pick up a used one.

The company that screwed them up in the first place is going to repair them? Part of the problem here is that their past repairs have failed.

Why would Fiat buy Chrysler...:dunno: It makes no sense. More sense than Mercedes, but still not enough.

Mercedes force ably took over Chrysler because they wanted access to the US pick up market. As you know it's huge and repersents about 50% of vehicle sales in the US. Mercedes prior had 0% of this market.

They thought it would bring growth to their company.

Fiat bought Chrysler on the cheap because they just wanted access to the US market. They were riding a high after their rebound in Europe and thought the time was right to reintroduce the Fiat brand to America. Enough time had passed that they thought Americans would accept the brand again. Chrysler gave them an instant platform and infrastructure to do that.

They thought it would bring growth to their company. Unfortunately, Fiat appears to be the same lame company and are exactly repeating their performance that got them thrown out of America before. JD Powers ranks Fiat dead last in their reliability and customer satisfaction reports.

I always thought that - "So, Fiat, Chrysler and the US Government walk into a bar... " was the beginning of a really, really bad joke.

Sadly, Chrysler was doing just fine and really improving prior to the hostile take over by Mercedes. They really didn't need "saving" or some lame "partnership".

The company that screwed them up in the first place is going to repair them? Part of the problem here is that their past repairs have failed.

All depends on what they do to repair them. It's a machine. Aren't any perfect ones.

Most of us here fly something that has at least one AD against it. Some of them we just inspect the known weak parts more often, which is pretty easy to do once you know which parts like to break.

All depends on what they do to repair them. It's a machine. Aren't any perfect ones.

Most of us here fly something that has at least one AD against it. Some of them we just inspect the known weak parts more often, which is pretty easy to do once you know which parts like to break.

Look, I like Chrysler, I like their products, from the Challenger to the Jeep, the minivans and the trucks. But, the bean counters are running the show, from bad mexican rotors, to hvac issues and other problems. Any company has problems, but the same problem over and over again is border line criminal. My hemi jeep has a broken manifold bolt, a quick look in the googles finds this has been an issue for years, and probably still is an issue. The bolts are too small, and it looks like they are cutting threads rather than rolling them. Make them bigger, and roll the threads, two simple solutions with minimal cost implications would probably save 10s of millions more in warranty work than it would cost to implement. I hate stupid ****.

Every type has their known problems. I have a Dodge and a Chevy. I know what'll break on both. Or has already. On the Chevy it's the instrument cluster, the 4WD controls, and engine through bolts. On the Dodge it's steering stuff, and the fuel pumps, and never ending brake replacement. The Lincoln/Ford of the wife's it'll be valves/head warping, and engine cooling and HVAC stuff. On both the Chevy and Ford the transmissions have a better than average chance of dying around 130,000. The Dodge has the bulletproof manual that'll just become too hard to shift into 3/6 when they synchro dies because it doesn't get enough oil splash in the original design.

All very well documented on type forums.

Just avoid new ones of all brands until the commonly broken stuff becomes a new "sticky" on all the type forums.

Very similar to our 30+ year old airplanes. Everyone knows what breaks on X models.

The manifold bolt is a bummer. Sorry to hear that. I have the Cummins with the "light case" that most experts agree should have been a recall by Cummins but they didn't want to rebuild engines at a crazy rate into properly forged cases.

They all do stupid ****.

The shop was really impressed when the Lincoln blew a heater core. You get to take out the steering wheel and the dash and set them on the ground beside the truck to get to that one. And the Lincoln part has a little nipple on the hose connection that the Ford part doesn't. Otherwise identical but guess what leaks if you use the wrong one and who gets to remove the steering and dash again? ;)

Might want to look into the warranty issues on that one. LOTS of people waiting for replacement engines for months because FiChry won't pull them off the assembly line. Those engines have been plagued with first year development issues.

x2

Do not buy an ecodiesel Ram. They have problems and no parts are available.

I wouldn't mind buying a recall truck, a 2011-2012 4x4 hemi 1500 would fix me up nicely.

Last edited:
The new Ford diesel is the 6.7 - the 6.0 had problems, so they made another one.

FTFY. Also, they had the 6.4L in between the 6.0L and the 6.7L. The 6.4L was a decent engine, built largely by Navistar, and used from '08-'12. No doubt that there will be some great deals on repaired Dodge's that were buy-backs. I just don't know how much I trust the Rams in general, since they've never really been "top of the pack" with their trucks.

. . . The shop was really impressed when the Lincoln blew a heater core. You get to take out the steering wheel and the dash and set them on the ground beside the truck to get to that one. And the Lincoln part has a little nipple on the hose connection that the Ford part doesn't. Otherwise identical but guess what leaks if you use the wrong one and who gets to remove the steering and dash again? ;)

The heater core was the only "repair" I ever had to do on my '98 F-150. You are correct, in that the one-piece dash has to be pulled (partially), the steering column has to be lowered, removal of all airbags, and even the antenna mast had to be disconnected from the cable! Something like 75 bolts/screws had to be removed, lol. However, I was able to do it in my driveway while in college with basic hand tools and a write-up from an F-150 forum. Repair would have probably cost $700+, but I did it for the cost of the heaters core ($120).

At least Ford learned after that, and the newer vehicles (04+ Ford F-150s for example) have a segmented dash which eliminated the need to remove the whole damn thing!

My Ram 1500 has been quite a bargain. The only thing that almost left me stranded was the fuel pump and that actually warned me it was going out with the whining noise. I got to a shop just in time.

Let's see, wheel bearings, AC pump, PS pump, dash fell apart, radiator that's about it other than normal wear items in 178k miles. I tow a lot with it, so most of this stuff is expected anyway.

I had to work through a lot of issues with my 2001 F150 when I first bought it, due to serious neglect by the previous owners, combined with the fact that it went through a really nasty wreck and a sketch shop "repaired it".

The nice thing was I bought it from the sketch shop for half of what everyone else wanted for one of those. I put a few AMU into parts and did all the work myself. It's been solid ever since.

Had to put a new 4x4 actuator on it this year (why the hell they made that vacuum operated, I have no idea) but that wasn't really a big deal.

I expect to get a lot of years out of it yet.

Had to put a new 4x4 actuator on it this year (why the hell they made that vacuum operated, I have no idea) but that wasn't really a big deal.

Yeah, the vacuum-powered IWEs are the number one source of frustration for modern Ford 4x4 owners. Especially since the loss of full vacuum partially engages the hub, lol. I like that the manual hubs are still a very popular factory option on the SuperDuty Ford trucks.

All you need to know about Dodge;

dodge

(dŏj)
v. dodged, dodg·ing, dodg·es
v.tr. 1. To avoid

Good luck with your truck shopping...

Well crap. I did not realize the recall was based on VIN numbers, not model years. My truck doesn't qualify.

Well crap. I did not realize the recall was based on VIN numbers, not model years. My truck doesn't qualify.

You can still take it to Carmax. Probably get more than trade in value, and go make a deal on a new one. A bit more legwork.

And the dream is dashed.... oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

Exactly right.

I checked out the reliability of the new Ecodiesel. It seems like they have had a few problems, but nothing more than statistical averages. The local Dodge dealer has replaced one engine in 2 years. Most problems were with software and cured with updates.

http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...der-heads-2014-tsb-09-006-15-09-006-15-1-.pdf

http://www.thehulltruth.com/trucks-trailers/659073-ecodeisel-goes-boooooom.html

http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-general-discussion/2833-engine-blew-up.html

I would not buy one right now. A not insignificant percentage of trucks are blowing up, needing catalytic parts, or head replacement. And owners who have these common issues are waiting 30-60 days for parts If you want a new 1500 diesel I think Nissan is coming out with a cummins powered Titan.

I would never have this problem. The reason is I just can't fathom owning a 'Ram'.

The heater core was the only "repair" I ever had to do on my '98 F-150. You are correct, in that the one-piece dash has to be pulled (partially), the steering column has to be lowered, removal of all airbags, and even the antenna mast had to be disconnected from the cable! Something like 75 bolts/screws had to be removed, lol. However, I was able to do it in my driveway while in college with basic hand tools and a write-up from an F-150 forum. Repair would have probably cost $700+, but I did it for the cost of the heaters core ($120).

At least Ford learned after that, and the newer vehicles (04+ Ford F-150s for example) have a segmented dash which eliminated the need to remove the whole damn thing!

Hers is an '08 and they had photos of taking out the entire dash. It's the Lincoln LT if that makes a difference (other than a crapton of electronics in the dash).

I had to work through a lot of issues with my 2001 F150 when I first bought it, due to serious neglect by the previous owners, combined with the fact that it went through a really nasty wreck and a sketch shop "repaired it".

The nice thing was I bought it from the sketch shop for half of what everyone else wanted for one of those. I put a few AMU into parts and did all the work myself. It's been solid ever since.

You ever put the rear view mirror back up? ;) Not that I really needed it when I drove it across town for ya. Haha.

Back