Radios re-visited

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
Lots of new tiny radios that have built in intercoms, I've been told that the intercom side isn't very good.

Any one have one installed and can testify to that?

The new mgl v16 has gotten good intercom reviews.

When you don't understand the question, try to not answer.

What’s the fun in that?

One data point does not mark a trend, but i was looking at an Ercoupe with a Microair radio/intercom. The radio portion sounded fine but talking with the passenger the conversation wasn’t very clear. I think it’s trying to pack too much into the box and not having it work very well.

Lots of new tiny radios that have built in intercoms, I've been told that the intercom side isn't very good.

Any one have one installed and can testify to that?
All of the Garmin ones only support a 2-place intercom. This would be nice in something like a 150 or Citabria because you can have just a radio and no audio panel or separate intercom. A GNC255 could get your IFR capability and be the only radio in your plane other than xpnder. GTR225 would do the same minus the NAV abilities - Either way it really slims down the panel in a 2 place plane.

Anyway - no idea on the quality of the intercom.

Last edited:
What’s the fun in that?

One data point does not mark a trend, but i was looking at an Ercoupe with a Microair radio/intercom. The radio portion sounded fine but talking with the passenger the conversation wasn’t very clear. I think it’s trying to pack too much into the box and not having it work very well.
This is what I've been told by my avionic guy, just checking to see if he was the only one thinking that.

The Icom-A220 is an excellent radio with intercom, and fairly inexpensive.

ProductHeader.jpg

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...WAUKm2kugYNmhqYnDrSLzddb_wMLJ3_RoCzIcQAvD_BwE

I really like the icoms, have one in the cardinal. They sound excellent IMHO, when the voices aren't adequate for me to use the GTN I switch over the Icom. Unfortunately I have no experience with the built-in intercom features as it is wired to an audio panel with intercom (PS Engineering) which I really like.

The Icoms also have the NOAA weather frequencies 162.400, 162.425, 162.450, 162.475, 162.500, 162.525, and 162.550 MHz.

I have the Trig TY91 and use it as a radio and two place intercom and it works perfect. Quality is good and the sound works perfect.

When you don't understand the question, try to not answer.

That's a bold statement from a "mechanic" who had to ask a web forum what a TX/RX pin was for.

Compared to the KX170B you are pulling out, every radio is a "new tiny radio".

That's a bold statement from a "mechanic" who had to ask a web forum what a TX/RX pin was for.
I also ask Artex, to see if you guys were correct. But I did understand simply English which you didn't seem to.

At least I understood what was asked, but you didn't seem to but answered anyway.

I under
I also ask Artex, to see if you guys were correct. But I did understand simply English which you didn't seem to.

You may understand "simply English", but apparently you are not capable of writing it. Your entire post reads like Harbor Freight instructions.

I understood the question perfectly well, I just think that you would receive a better response if you asked about experience with specific models that you were considering.

I've used a few. Generally like them, but the ones I've used need an option to make intercom or radio a priority. It's really annoying when you are teaching a student and some yahoo makes a really long radio call when you are trying to coach a landing and as a result your student didn't hear a thing you were saying about adding power and keeping it straight. On the other hand, for a regular pilot flying around the country, it might be nice for the radio to be a priority when your chatty passenger is making it hard to hear the rest of the aviation world.

I understood the question perfectly well,
Then why didn't you simply answer the question? But no, you had to throw a tantrum, and disrupt the discussion.

Man, Tom is really unlucky to find so many people that give him a hard time for no good reason.

Back