Radar Altimeter KRA 10A

Marshall

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Lee
With 5 G network my Radar Altimeter KRA 10 A does not work. Is there a fix or repair or replacement that are being used. I fly my Cessna 206G IFR and was kind of nice to have working.
So everyone just pulling them and throwing away?
I have a annual coming up and have found little info out there.

What do you mean by "it does not work"? Based on my understanding, some radio altimeters are going to be susceptible to occasional erroneous readouts should they be in close proximity to a 5G cell tower. But that doesn't render them completely useless. If you have a radio altimeter but your operation doesn't require one, you could just keep it. My guess is it'll still work most of the time.

If a radio altimeter is required (e.g. in a jet), then that's a different story...

- Martin

I believe my radar altimiter is a KRA10 in my Cessna 210. I havent run in to any interference with landing at airports with known 5G towers/coverage. . . However, the only time im looking at the radar altimiter if at all is when I'm doing a xcheck against the altimiter ribbon and only insde the FAF. So its not like Im checking that gauge that often to see if there is interference with it all the time.

I think I'd rather not have a radar altimeter rather than having one that might not be working properly when I try to use it.

Radio altimeters work between 4.2 and 4.4 GHz, while the afflicting variety of 5G is between 3.7 and 3.98 GHz. It's a significant difference. The question is whether it's a big enough difference to avoid interference for every airport approach and for every plane.

If you're worried about it, I wonder if it's possible to add a filter. Or replace the antenna with one that better rejects 5G.

Agree with Martin. What does "not working" mean. Odds are good that it'll be just fine when 5G goes full power.

Free Flight makes a 5G tolerant RA. I’ve yet to see interference with our legacy TRA40 or our new GRA55. Having said that, there’s still a lot of interference reports from the 121 world. It can happen but it’s no different than any instrument failing. Just gotta be ready to take over manually.

Flying the same approaches since G5 is live, Radar altimeter will do full needle swings completely worthless. Normally these approaches set alarm to go off at minimums nice for AGL backup when in full blown IFR. Worked flawless and now does not. Same on other Radar altimeters, other planes, in our area, per the IFR flight instructor I fly with once a month.
Having trouble finding a repair or solution, if cannot be fixed, replaced or repaired was thinking of removal at this annual. When you are on short final blind, nice to have in your back pocket as a backup. I have 3 altimeters besides this. Plane was overloaded with avionics, was former spotter plane for forest fires.....

Back