R&I an AH ....under the supervision....

bluerooster

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
shorty
The artificial horizon in my cherokee had a case of the "leans". It showed about a 15-20 degree bank angle to the right while straight and level. I had one on the shelf, so I sent it off for overhaul, and placarded the one in the panel "INOP". Not required for VFR, but it's there, and I'd like for it to work.
Anyway, I get to the airport, talk to the A&P/IA, and explain that I have the OH'd unit, and would like to swap them out under the supervision necessary..... His reply was this: "don't tighten the fittings too tight and crack the housing. Go for it." Got it installed, and working properly. Then asked about installing input jacks for the AUX input on the audio panel. He said "keep it neat, and clean." Both jobs done, and back home by 2:00, after test flight. I have a proper logbook entry, and signoff by A&P/IA, I asked him the cost, his reply was; "$1m", I sed "how much a week?" He told me to not worry about it. I'm not too worried, as I'm certian he'll get it out of me in November at annual inspection. I'll bet I'll have to work for him for a whole week to cover that bill. ;)

None of the MX I know has ever signed off work they have not done or at least thoroughly inspected.

It's always interesting to read about the ones that gamble with their certificate.

Not mechanics, but I've had people sign off or do things in their authority, that in part depended on them trusting me not to hang them out to dry. I wouldn't expect it from a relative stranger, and I wouldn't post about it on the Internet. Just me.

None of the MX I know has ever signed off work they have not done
Guess you don't know too many mechanics. So why not? You seem to be big on opining on maintenance work yet don't offer any substantial responses to most questions. For example, are you an A&P mechanic?

But for the record, as an A&P I've signed off numerous work performed by people per Part 43.3(d). So what exactly is the problem that causes me to "gamble with my certificate"?

Both jobs done, and back home by 2:00, after test flight. I have a proper logbook entry, and signoff by A&P/IA, I asked him the cost, his reply was; "$1m", I sed "how much a week?"

This is beyond difficult to understand. Are you saying that you test flew the airplane and then had it signed off? Don’t you think the sign off should come first? Then a test flight afterwards, if you desire.

Test flight to insure proper operation, if no proper operation, no signoff. The A&P/IA in question will not sign off on an installation without testing beforehand. Also, I work for this guy on a regular basis, and he knows my work.
So he has no worries as to the "gamble with his certificate", He does not see it as a gamble. Now, if pfarber were to show up, and want to do the same thing, his answer would be NO.

Test flight to insure proper operation, if no proper operation, no signoff. The A&P/IA in question will not sign off on an installation without testing beforehand. Also, I work for this guy on a regular basis, and he knows my work.
So he has no worries as to the "gamble with his certificate", He does not see it as a gamble. Now, if pfarber were to show up, and want to do the same thing, his answer would be NO.

Ok, I didn’t realize that it’s legal to fly an airplane after having accomplished maintenance without a proper sign off?

The late great Bill O’Brien wrote an article on this situation.

Pilot is illegal per FAR 91.

Tech can be cited under FAR 43.

“ Go fly the airplane; I’ll do the Logs later” can put Certs in jeopardy.

Reactions: Jdm
I’m thinking it might be the owner/operator who could find himself in jeopardy of certificate action. Illegally operating a airplane after having known undocumented maintenance? Am I missing some here?
Yes, the mechanic might get a word or two, but he could easily say that he wasn’t finished, or simply not comfortable signing off the work. Pretty sure the pilot would take the heat on this one.

I’ve gotten to to where when I’m working on a large job with multiple discrepancies I’ll keep a list going on the board of all the items. Sometimes it’s just a clip board with scribble scratch. I check them off one by one. When I’m done, and happen to want a test flight, I sign the bottom of sheet with my name and A&P number along with a quick statement that all items have been repaired or replaced. I toss it on the work bench and I test fly the airplane. This way if I get ramp checked or have an accident I can simply show the rough sign off. Once I’m done and settled down I’ll make a nice detailed entry. Keeps me legal the way I see it.
Doubt an insurance co would pay for intentionally operating an airplane illegally. Seems like I remember something in the the common policy about airworthiness.

Back