R-985 idling high

CowboyJake

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
CowboyJake98
Adjusted the idle stop screw but it doesn’t make contact. Throttle cable acts too short. Can’t extend the turn buckle on the cable cuz it’s not actually a turn buckle cuz the threads work together. Any ideas?

What is the history, is this a sudden problem after it was working fine last week sort of thing or is it a problem noticed after engine re-installation?

Bought it last fall and flew it that way until the annual then figured it would be that contact screw and thought they adjusted it but when I flew it home from annual I came in at 1100 rpm and had to kill the motor to stop.

Need to run thru the throttle control system as well nad make sure it's rigged correctly.

Need to run thru the throttle control system as well nad make sure it's rigged correctly.
I did. Only thing I can think it is with throttle linkage is maybe I can rotate wear the throttle meets the carb body. It’s on an ag cat

I did. Only thing I can think it is with throttle linkage is maybe I can rotate wear the throttle meets the carb body. It’s on an ag cat
Don't do that. Find the real problem, which might take a mechanic experienced on this stuff. The cable housing clamp might be at fault; it doesn't necessarily mean that the cable itself, or the lever indexing; is at fault. Changing the wrong stuff could lead to much more serious trouble.

It's not owner-maintenance stuff anyway. Laws.

Bought it last fall and flew it that way until the annual then figured it would be that contact screw and thought they adjusted it but when I flew it home from annual I came in at 1100 rpm and had to kill the motor to stop.
If it’s like that from day 1, it could be the completely wrong cable, or at least the wrong length.
No bends in the run that could be straightened out?

Had a 985 on twin beech that wouldn't idle, it would run 1/2 to full throttle ok. Took carb apart and float was full of gas. Fixed float and it was ok, and idled about 900 rpm till we could get it fixed permanently with another carb.. Might make sure nothing in float seat.

Could you disconnect Throttle Cable and wire against Stop for test run?

Back