Questions to ask during CFI interview(s)

HPNFlyGirl

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iBrookieMonster
Ok....so its seems I will be interviewing some flight instructors within the next few weeks. Ya know so I can get out of the FWP (Future Woman Pilot) phase and finally accomplish something in life. So my question for you guys/gals is:

"What questions should I ask the CFI(s) when I interview them?"

Thanks in advance.

Are you serious or just building time to go to the airlines?
Are you going to be around till i finish up?
those are two i'd ask Brook
Dave G.

HPNFlyGirl said:
Ok....so its seems I will be interviewing some flight instructors within the next few weeks. Ya know so I can get out of the FWP (Future Woman Pilot) phase and finally accomplish something in life. So my question for you guys/gals is:

Thanks in advance.
Do you smoke?
How many students have you recommended for the "check ride"
What is pass/fail rate.
Do you mind if i occasionally use profanity?

What head set is the best
how many hours till I solo
high wing or low wing?
can I train in the right seat?
what is the best hand held transceiver for me to get
do I need renters insurance?
Should I buy my own plane to train in? The 152 I am looking at is $75,000, is that too much?
If I put my plane on a treadmill............

HPNFlyGirl said:

Thanks in advance.

Good question Brook! I need to pay attention. My last instructor just left to go fly a regional. I've had so many instructors now, it's not even funny. :no:

Figure out exactly what you think you want and ask them if they can deliver it.

"Building time for the airlines" and good flight instruction have never been mutually exclusive and never will be. I've had CFIs leave for the airlines, other employment reasons, and life's various other unpredictable demands during my flight training for different ratings plus, I fired one inattentative CFI. It took approximatly the time in flight of a checkride in each case to show the new CFI what I knew and didn't know and of course, the time was applied towards the hours for the rating involved. I think the possible CFI switch is only an issue if students make it one.

Start with "will I be your first student?"
How flexible are your hours?
Do you only fly on "perfect" days or can we fly in some weather (on an appropriate flight plan, of course)?
Do you have a general "hands off" approach, or do you leave your hands on the yoke as I land, stall, etc., "just in case"?
Are you comfortable with female students?
How did you score on the various knowledge tests?
How many attempts did you require for each of your checkrides?
When did you start flying?
What do your current students really like about your style?
What would your current students really DISlike about your style?
Do you hit your students?
Do you use a sylabus?
Where did you do your primary training?

When your CFI starts out with "I have an instrument rating and I'm not afraid to use it.", stick with him. You will train in some conditions that might ground other CFIs, and you'll get a good look at weather that you'd rather not fly by yourself. At least, here in the Pacific Northwe(s)t that's the case. Really helps with my go/no go decisions.

Do you have a cell phone? Do you leave it in the desk/car when you teach, or are you always on it every five minutes?

igottafly said:
Do you smoke?

All great questions so far, but I gotta ask, why is that something to ask a CFI? They don't smoke in the planes, I'd bet.

Dave Krall CFII said:
"Building time for the airlines" and good flight instruction have never been mutually exclusive and never will be.

One of our best club instructors is a CJR captain, but still LOVES to teach, and does often.

alaskaflyer said:
Do you have a cell phone? Do you leave it in the desk/car when you teach, or are you always on it every five minutes?
Excellent point! I'm glad you brought this up. I flew with one CFI (who I will never fly with again) who went so far as to answer his cell phone booking prospective new customers while we were on short final once, and once as I was rolling out. I have to assume that he had it securely stowed while we were doing aerobatics. He didn't ever hesitate to answer the phone while we were having ground school either. But then, he was easily distracted during ground school by admiring himself and his airplane on his screen saver as we sat in front of his desk.

Diana said:
But then, he was easily distracted during ground school by admiring himself and his airplane on his screen saver as we sat in front of his desk.

Ugh!

[Donald Trump] You're fired! [/Donald Trump]

HPNFlyGirl said:

Thanks in advance.

How do you/what are your lesson plans?
What are your thoughts on how we can structure the program so I can reach my goal?
What is your approach to teaching?

HPNFlyGirl said:

Thanks in advance.

How many students have you had at (private, inst, commercial)?
What are your career goals?
How long have you been teaching?
Describe a situation in which you had a difficult time overcoming a student's lask of forward progress and what you did to get them through it?
Do you smoke?
What type of aircraft are you rated in and what are your total hours and teaching hours?
Describe frustrations you have had with your own educational advancement?

SkyHog said:
I gotta ask, why is that something to ask a CFI?
One reason might be because some smokers smell strongly of smoke even when they aren't smoking, and that might be unpleasant or distracting to some non-smokers, especially in the small confines of an airplane.

Diana said:
One reason might be because some smokers smell strongly of smoke even when they aren't smoking, and that might be unpleasant or distracting to some non-smokers, especially in the small confines of an airplane.

Makes sense. I sometimes forget how much we reek sometimes, especially when sitting no more than a few inches from someone else.

Shipoke said:
Are you serious or just building time to go to the airlines?
Are you going to be around till i finish up?
those are two i'd ask Brook
Dave G.

"just building time"... Unless you're lucky, there aren't many ways to build time without doing instructing. Sure, if you've got your own plane maybe, but why would want to fly for someone else, you're probably already making more than most professional pilots. I've found there's just not many readily available opportunities *other* than instructing. Time building is serious. Without hours in the logbook, you're not going anywhere.

I do like to ask:
  • What their aviation goals are ?
  • Are they on track with the timetable they've set for themselves ?
  • How flexible is their schedule ?
  • What's their favorite aircraft and why ?
  • What's their least favorite and why ?
  • Do you frustrate easily ? :D
  • How do you feel about e-mail questions/conversations ?
  • What's your beverage of choice ?

Diana said:
Excellent point! I'm glad you brought this up. I flew with one CFI (who I will never fly with again) who went so far as to answer his cell phone booking prospective new customers while we were on short final once, and once as I was rolling out. I have to assume that he had it securely stowed while we were doing aerobatics. He didn't ever hesitate to answer the phone while we were having ground school either. But then, he was easily distracted during ground school by admiring himself and his airplane on his screen saver as we sat in front of his desk.
Gees, don't tell on me online!!! Besides, I took the picture of the airplane off the screen saver. Now it's just a picture of me. :D

SkyHog said:
All great questions so far, but I gotta ask, why is that something to ask a CFI? They don't smoke in the planes, I'd bet.

Hopefully not, but it's hard not to notice bad breath in a closed airplane cockpit and to non-smokers, the fumes from a heavy smoker can make you want to puke.

Brooke, I'd examine your questions carefully and toss out any that have an obvious "correct" answer since that's the answer you are likely to get from any CFI with half a brain.

EG: Are you serious about instructing or just here to build time?

Can you imagine any CFI admiting to the latter? A slightly better question would be: "I expect to fly often enough to complete my PPL within the next three months. Will you promise to remain here as my instructor for at least that long?" An unscrupulous CFI might agree to that knowing he's got a good chance on a freight job in another state coming up in two weeks, but most folks (including CFIs) have enough integrity to be more honest than that.

I would ask about the number of student checkride recommendations (to judge his CFI experience quantitatively) and also the number who passed on the first try.

I'd also want to know something about the sylabus used, how well he sticks to it, and under what conditions some flexibility would be warranted.

A big factor in your success vs frustration will be how compatible your schedules are. Assuming you have a pretty good idea when you will be able to fly, find out if he can adjust things to fit your schedule rather than the other way around.

Try to find out up front how much time will be spent pre and post flight discussing the flight and what if any of that time will be "on the clock" and seek a commitment to adhere to a mutually acceptable plan for that. I personally have no problem with a CFI charging for all the time spent working on flight training, but different folks have different ideas about that. In general, I think you will find that CFI's who expect to be compensated for ground as well as air time are more likely to provide proper attention to their students on the ground (which is important). That said, some CFIs who do it simply because they love to teach flying tend to provide superior ground instruction without charge. A good clue to a particular CFI's performance in this area is the flight/instructor schedule. If the CFI appears to schedule most students back to back for hour or hour and a half intervals, he's probably dropping one student for the next as soon as the prop stops.

I like the idea of an instructor interview and there are some excellent questions here. But you'll know most of what you need to know after one or two hours in the airplane with the CFI. Compatibility, teaching style, etc. can't be hidden and you're looking for a partner in this experience. It's just got to feel right when you're together. Don't worry about going through a few instructors until you get the one you can work with.

C

Don't tell them you're interviewing them. Just go to the airport and hang out, and you'll get the true answer to the "good teacher" vs. "I'm only doing this because I have to to get that airline job" variety.

My primary CFI jumped to the airlines just about as soon as he had 1500TT/500 multi. But, he was a great instructor - We even discussed that at one point (I think after I'd already finished my private) and he said that if he could make a career of teaching, he would. It's just very hard to make a decent living as a career CFI. :(

So, even though he was headed for the airlines, he loved to fly and loved to teach people how to fly. He still stops by the FBO when he's in town just to do some hangar talking. And, he was excellent not only in the teaching aspects, but also in customer service - He once drove to the airport (1/2 hour each way) just to sign me off for my long solo cross country. No instruction, no charge!

After he left for the airlines, I just went and hung out at the airport, in the flight school. My private was done and I'd started on instrument but was in a financially-induced pause in training. By just talking flying, I found that the CFI who'd replaced mine was every bit the arrogant jerk who couldn't stand to fly something with a propeller on it. (Credit the flight school, he was fired after a fairly short period of time.)

My CFII that I finished the instrument with got the best "interview" of all: He used to be a huge airport bum and I used him as my safety pilot once, before he was ever a CFI. I learned a lot on that flight, and I knew he'd make a great instructor. He got his CFI/II/MEI tickets and I made a bunch of money, and I've been getting excellent instruction ever since.

So, you won't get a good answer to the time-builder question by asking the question. Just go to the airport, hang out in the flight school, and listen to the instructors. Be a groupie, IOW. ;) You'll learn most of what you need to know without asking a single question, and the CFI's won't be in salesman mode.

flyingcheesehead said:
Just go to the airport, hang out in the flight school, and listen to the instructors. Be a groupie, IOW. ;) You'll learn most of what you need to know without asking a single question, and the CFI's won't be in salesman mode.
I think this is great advice. You'll also get a feel for their personality and teaching style and whether or not you feel compatible with them. A CFI who meshes with one student might not necessarily mesh with another one and it's good to be on the same page.

That said, I was lucky with my primary instructor. I knew nothing about picking an instructor or flying in general and went with the first person who called. Even though he was "building time" and I was probably only his second or third student, I think he did a good job and we still keep in touch today.

For a number of later ratings I interviewed a few CFIs beforehand. Some of them were definintely in the hard sell mode which to me was a turn-off. But then again, diff'rent strokes...

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Krall CFII
"Building time for the airlines" and good flight instruction have never been mutually exclusive and never will be.

Bill Jennings said:
One of our best club instructors is a CJR captain, but still LOVES to teach, and does often.

No doubt.
The biggest trick with CFIs, as in almost any other people, is getting a bead on what type of person they really are, especially when it's on their dime. If they're good people with real integrity, everything else is gonna get worked out for the better, one way or another.

When you figure out how to ascertain those qualities of integrity in advance of time and financial commitments 100% of the time, let me know. We'll then bottle it for sale & make a million bucks!

HPNFlyGirl said:

Thanks in advance.
Try to fly with a several of the instructors and see who has a teaching style that best suits you. Two of the instructors at JNX are older guys who just teach because they like to. Should be worth considering.

Another good question for you to ask is whether they are single...:goofy:

What is your name?
What is your quest
What is your favourite colour?

Diana said:

Yeah, fly with the windows open... :)

Do you have gastro-intestinal problems or do you eat a lot of chili?

AirBaker said:
Yeah, fly with the windows open... :)

Not good enough. I really hate that smell. :vomit::vomit::vomit:

I worked bingos for the VFW when I was going up through the chairs to be a district commander. I would come home and reek of cigarette smell. I would walk into the bathroom strip and bath until very clean. Then I would pick up all the clothes I was wearing and start doing laundry. It was usually 11pm or later by then but that smell could be experienced all thoughout the house.

HPNFlyGirl said:

Thanks in advance.

I would (will) ask for the names of two or three students that have completed the rating/certificate that I am going to train for. I would like to contact these former/current students to assess the CFI's methods, punctuality, reliability and general reputation.

Here's a question you can ask: Do you make people cry?

We have a local CFI who is really grouchy. When he told me he was teaching his first female student, I told him "You better not make her cry!" He said, "It's too late, I already did." I don't recommend him to anyone, not even people I don't like.

smigaldi said:
Not good enough. I really hate that smell. :vomit::vomit::vomit:

Only YOU can keep from smelling like a forest fires!

What about:
When do you start the clock? / What time am I charged for?

I only say this because I decided to take a flight with a 'Real Bonanza' instructor. He was good, but charged me from the time he got to the hangar until he got the check. I felt taken for about an hours worth of time compared to the 6 other instructors I've had.

NC Pilot said:
Another good question for you to ask is whether they are single...:goofy:

Yeah the last instr. I flew with at JNX (the one who stole my money) his wife called my house and cussed me out. Told I had good days and other days I had my head stuck up my a$$, and lots worse things. She was nothing but white trash.

I will be talking to the people out at JNX as well.

Thanks Mark.

HPNFlyGirl said:
Yeah the last instr. I flew with at JNX (the one who stole my money) his wife called my house and cussed me out. Told I had good days and other days I had my head stuck up my a$$, and lots worse things. She was nothing but white trash.

That is scary....and sad.

HPNFlyGirl said:

I will be talking to the people out at JNX as well.

Thanks Mark.
That was uncalled for. If it was the instructor I am thinking of you are better off not flying with him anymore. Too bad he ran off with your money.

Good luck and hope you get to get your ticket soon.

All great questions to ask and I'm sorry for your unpleasant expereince at your previous flight school. Here's some other questions;

NASCAR or Professional Bull Riding?
North Carolina or Virginia style BBQ?
Sweet tea or lemonade?
Cash or Credit?
The Beatles?
High wing or low wing?
Regular or extra crispy and if so, why?
Boxers or briefs and if not, why not?

Naw, seriously you asked a great question Brook. You hire on with an instructor you want the best person available for you. Good luck, I'm sure you'll do well this time around. :rolleyes:

Can a pilot log .............?

Do you use teach phrase 'Any other traffic..........'?

Back