Questions from a Sun 'n Fun first-timer

Discussion in 'Sun'n'Fun' started by Martin Pauly, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Martin Pauly

Martin Pauly Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Martin Pauly
    For people that have done Sun 'n Fun with camping on the field before, what are some of the recommendations you have for a first-timer like me? Things you wish you had brought along? Things you brought along and ended up not needing?

There are a few practical questions I have:
    • How do people shop for supplies, e.g. are there nearby groceries stores or convenience stores, and how do you get there?
    • Are there places to charge batteries for phones, cameras, etc.?
    • I read in the FAQ that bicycles are not allowed on the field. Is that enforced? I was thinking of bringing mine to be mobile, if not on the field then at least around it - but if I can't at least walk my bike to the gates (and then ride outside the airport), I might as well leave it at home.
    • I'll probably arrive early in the week. Once I'm parked, can I get the plane out for a fun flight and return to my site afterwards? Or am stuck until I'm ready to leave for good?
    Thanks in advance for your help.

- Martin

2. flyingcheesehead

flyingcheesehead Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    iMooniac
    Have you ever been to Oshkosh?

3. PaulS

PaulS Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    PaulS
    You can rent those little handicapped 4 wheel scooters and buzz around, there were a ton of them last year, you need to be careful walking, most of them don't drive so well.

4. Martin Pauly

Display Name:

Display name:
    Martin Pauly
    Only for a day at a time - I've not stayed at Oshkosh overnight so far.

5. JustinJ

JustinJ Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Justin Jonusas
    Martin,
    I'll be following your thread for suggestions since I too am planning on flying down for a night and haven't been to SnF. I'll probably be attending Thursday and Friday. I've spent a fair share of time at Osh and I can't image it will be too much different. The biggest things I presume are hydration and plenty of Sun block since I too am from the Midwest.

6. alfadog

alfadog En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    alfadog
    I will take a shot. I go every year for the last 7 or 8 years but only camped out once under my Arrow.

1. The campground has a little general store. Other than that Google Maps is your friend.
    2. I imagine so. The campground has a common shower area, could likely do it there. Also charging stations in the SnF show itself.
    3. My guess is leave the bike at home. You can Uber to a store if you need to.
    4. Not sure that would work. Getting in and out of SnF is a hassle and no one is guaranteed to hold your spot for you, IMO.

7. 2Airtime2

2Airtime2 Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Cherokee 180c
    I've only been once, last yr from Louisburg, NC. Once you park you are there til you fly out. I brought drinks and snacks to keep at my plane/tent. I brought my portable jump starter which has air pump (luckily not needed) and a usb port to charge my phone each night. Plenty of food to buy and eat while walking around the show. Lots of people brought there own grills and food to cook at the plane in the eve. Bring your own tiedowns. I brought ropes, 3 two foot steel spikes, and a 24 oz framing hammer to drive them. Sold my Cherokee 180 so didn't go this yr.

8. tsts4

tsts4 Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Auburntsts
    Kinda late to need — Sun-n-fun was 2 weeks ago

9. Martin Pauly

Display Name:

Display name:
    Martin Pauly
    My flight to Sun ‘n Fun was a bit adventurous. I just finished this video about what happened.

Jim_CAK and Lndwarrior like this.
  10. alfadog

alfadog En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    alfadog
    What day was this? I was going to go up on Tuesday but cancelled for weather. Wednesday looked good but I could not get the planned a/c and my back-up had developed an issue over the weekend.

11. Martin Pauly

Display Name:

Display name:
    Martin Pauly
    This was on Tuesday.

12. BrianNC

BrianNC Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    BrianATL
    As I mention on your Youtube channel:

[​IMG]

Martin Pauly likes this.
  13. alfadog

alfadog En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    alfadog
    Yeah, if I had gone up on Tuesday, it would have been before 9AM as I was planning to overnight with friends in Lake Wales, just 22nm away. I would have missed the closures but the weather would have been worse, TAFs showed low IFR for early morning, IIRC.