Questions from a Sun 'n Fun first-timer

Discussion in 'Sun'n'Fun' started by Martin Pauly, Mar 15, 2019 at 8:17 AM.

1. Martin Pauly

Martin Pauly Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Martin Pauly
    For people that have done Sun 'n Fun with camping on the field before, what are some of the recommendations you have for a first-timer like me? Things you wish you had brought along? Things you brought along and ended up not needing?

There are a few practical questions I have:
    • How do people shop for supplies, e.g. are there nearby groceries stores or convenience stores, and how do you get there?
    • Are there places to charge batteries for phones, cameras, etc.?
    • I read in the FAQ that bicycles are not allowed on the field. Is that enforced? I was thinking of bringing mine to be mobile, if not on the field then at least around it - but if I can't at least walk my bike to the gates (and then ride outside the airport), I might as well leave it at home.
    • I'll probably arrive early in the week. Once I'm parked, can I get the plane out for a fun flight and return to my site afterwards? Or am stuck until I'm ready to leave for good?
    Thanks in advance for your help.

- Martin

2. flyingcheesehead

flyingcheesehead Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    iMooniac
    Have you ever been to Oshkosh?

3. PaulS

PaulS Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    PaulS
    You can rent those little handicapped 4 wheel scooters and buzz around, there were a ton of them last year, you need to be careful walking, most of them don't drive so well.

4. Martin Pauly

Martin Pauly Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Martin Pauly
    Only for a day at a time - I've not stayed at Oshkosh overnight so far.

5. JustinJ

JustinJ Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Justin Jonusas
    Martin,
    I'll be following your thread for suggestions since I too am planning on flying down for a night and haven't been to SnF. I'll probably be attending Thursday and Friday. I've spent a fair share of time at Osh and I can't image it will be too much different. The biggest things I presume are hydration and plenty of Sun block since I too am from the Midwest.

6. alfadog

alfadog En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    alfadog
    I will take a shot. I go every year for the last 7 or 8 years but only camped out once under my Arrow.

1. The campground has a little general store. Other than that Google Maps is your friend.
    2. I imagine so. The campground has a common shower area, could likely do it there. Also charging stations in the SnF show itself.
    3. My guess is leave the bike at home. You can Uber to a store if you need to.
    4. Not sure that would work. Getting in and out of SnF is a hassle and no one is guaranteed to hold your spot for you, IMO.