Questions for the Ronafide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't everyone?

you know, it's funny....balls do seem to be fun for everybody....animals, who don't know nuthin' 'bout nuthin', all like balls. there's a video going around of a manatee chasing a football being thrown by some dude in a boat.....there's another of a horse going crazy with a beach ball...............what IS it about balls that everyone loves to play with them?!? how does a horse look at a bunch of things and say "naaahhhh, those aren't fun.........oh WAIT, A BALL!!! now we're talking!"

Aaaaaaand IBTL

Why some people get some symptoms, others nothing, and others dead? Really good question. Part of it is of course comorbidity.

Confounding the issue is the fact that some comorbidities are invisible. The level of ACE2 expression in the airways is one. ACE2 an important entry receptor for the virus. People have different amounts, and different isoforms of ACE2. But none of us have any idea of what our ACE2 levels are in our airways. It's one of those non-obvious factors that has an impact on how likely one is to come down with the virus, and perhaps on how likely one is to get seriously ill.

This thing is so random on who gets hit with what symptoms and how bad. The first 20-30 people I knew that tested positive, only knew they had it because of required testing because someone else they came in contact with it that also only tested positive and didn't know they had it. Mom got it, and it kicked her ass from Friday to Monday/Tuesday, but she was back at 95% by that Saturday. Dad was about 3 days behind mom, and you know what happened there. My 95 year old grandmother (who thinks it is 1960 something) got it, had a fever for about 18 hours and kicked it. One of my bowling partners got it, no symptoms but did the quarantine, another bowling partner (in his 30's) ended up in the hospital for about a week, but was back on the lanes as soon as his transmission window was closed.

I agree with you there. It is an insanely squirrelly virus. We've probably all seen 85 year old fat smokers with diabetes, hypertension and a couple bypass surgeries under their belt get through covid just fine, then see a pretty healthy 30 something spend time in the hospital. My wife and I had it at the same time, in the same house with a completely different set of symptoms and timeline from each other. Strange indeed.

Ok Okie, the million dollar question, are you going to get vaccinated now?

Why would he if he *knows* he's already had it, and we *know* that the variants seem to be breaking through the vaccinated anyway - like Gov. Abbot down here in Texas?

Ryan pretty much answered that for me. Sounds like the likelihood of getting it again is pretty remote, at least for a while anyway.

I'll add this: I'm a little afraid of vaccinations. I have no idea if it would affect me in the same way, but I got a flu shot once about 10 years ago, and it caused a pretty severe reaction. My arm swelled up, turned red, and throbbed for days, then about a week later I got the most violent flu of my life. I hadn't had the flu for years before then, and I haven't had it since that I can recall. That incident has caused me to avoid vaccines. Perhaps having had the virus and getting the vaccine would be beneficial. I don't know. It's something to think about. For now, I'm just going to work on getting back to my old self after a solid butt kicking.

do you have any balls to play with? that might make u feel better.

Haha.. from coronavirus anecdotes to the "James Baxter the Horse" episode of Adventure Time. :D I'm gonna have that refrain stuck in my head all morning now.

My mom got CV from being stuck in the hallway at an overburdened ER. She was symptomless but quarantined for a month. She's 69. The quarantine and nursing care kept her up on her assorted meds (against her will), so she ended up cognitively improved by the experience.

A family friend of ours got it early this year. Her symptoms took a month to resolve, but it has been six months and she still has no sense of taste.

I got vaxed out of a desire to travel (...can't beat em, join em, etc). Now having traveled and experienced the, ahem, joys of long-haul airlines... yeah I'll stick to GA travel and just work more to pay for it. :D

I had the same symptoms again twice in the last two weeks, but tested negative.

Must have been some other unpopular virus. How annoying!

I'm getting over a pretty wicked case of the rona. As I've read, many have experienced dizziness, motion sickness, fatigue, and some pretty serious brain fog. I'm also experiencing these things. I'm curious if there are any among us on POA who have had a serious case, and if so, how long did it take before you felt comfortable flying again. I'm at about 3 weeks since I first got it, and finally back at work, but dang, I barely feel comfortable behind the wheel of a car. I don't think I have the brain power currently to fly an airplane. It's fairly concerning. I have no doubt that I'll continue to improve, but I was just curious about others' experiences on this issue.

The fact is you may never return to your original self and other folk’s experience has nothing to do with you recovery.

then see a pretty healthy 30 something spend time in the hospital. My

That is the craziest part. It makes sense a new virus could hurt someone with other issues, but this one seems almost random. A friend and local sheriff deputy here is early 40s, fit, healthy, no other medical conditions, spent 37 days on a ventilator. They thought they were going to lose him several times. When he did finally get home, he is now wheel chair bound and having to learn to walk again. He may not be able to work ever again. All for a "little cold virus" as I've heard some naysayers put it. I can tell you his fellow deputies started taking it more seriously after that.

Ryan pretty much answered that for me. Sounds like the likelihood of getting it again is pretty remote, at least for a while anyway.

I'll add this: I'm a little afraid of vaccinations. I have no idea if it would affect me in the same way, but I got a flu shot once about 10 years ago, and it caused a pretty severe reaction. My arm swelled up, turned red, and throbbed for days, then about a week later I got the most violent flu of my life. I hadn't had the flu for years before then, and I haven't had it since that I can recall. That incident has caused me to avoid vaccines. Perhaps having had the virus and getting the vaccine would be beneficial. I don't know. It's something to think about. For now, I'm just going to work on getting back to my old self after a solid butt kicking.

Yeah, I hear you. My son and his fiancée got the rona a couple weeks ago, they were fully vaccinated. The upside is it was like a cold with a fever and loss of sense of smell down for about a week. Not that bad for them. Supposedly the vaccine helps your immunity after you get infected and recover, but there is so much crap info circulating now, who knows.

The flu vaccine is hit or miss, some years they get it right, some years they don't. I've been getting it for 20 plus years, some times it hurts after more than others, but it's been worth it for me.

Anyway, thanks for answering, feel better.

you know, it's funny....balls do seem to be fun for everybody....animals, who don't know nuthin' 'bout nuthin', all like balls. there's a video going around of a manatee chasing a football being thrown by some dude in a boat.....there's another of a horse going crazy with a beach ball...............what IS it about balls that everyone loves to play with them?!? how does a horse look at a bunch of things and say "naaahhhh, those aren't fun.........oh WAIT, A BALL!!! now we're talking!"
And Monkeys and footballs

As long as no one posts a video of Celine Dion playing with balls.

A friend and local sheriff deputy here is early 40s, fit, healthy, no other medical conditions, spent 37 days on a ventilator. They thought they were going to lose him several times. When he did finally get home, he is now wheel chair bound and having to learn to walk again. He may not be able to work ever again.

That's horrifying. I'm sorry for your friend's plight.

Would a Long-term disability insurance policy cover something like this? I presume a sheriff has a decent benefits package that may at least help the family even though it wasn't an occupational injury?

My roommate got one dose of Pfizer and had debilitating shingles about a week later that lasted two months. There is no way she could work in that condition, but she already has SSDI for other chronic illness.

My thing is that I believe you are taking risks no matter which direction your conscience points you to go. I just find it weird that people don't want to hear that there is potential harm either way.

https://twitter.com/GeorgiaBClark/status/1425329896188825611
It is true there are risks in either direction. It is just that one direction has risks that are documented orders of magnitude larger than the other direction. Like walking down a path with a single bear trap or walking down a path with 200 bear traps. Which one would be safer?

It is true there are risks in either direction. It is just that one direction has risks that are documented orders of magnitude larger than the other direction. Like walking down a path with a single bear trap or walking down a path with 200 bear traps. Which one would be safer?
Depends where you step.

For a young healthy individual? I kinda can't see it being 200 bear traps, unless we are talking an 4 foot wide path with them being spaced about every, what, 25 feet? Sure, if it's dark outside and you have no flashlight you might die...

For a young healthy individual? I kinda can't see it being 200 bear traps, unless we are talking an 4 foot wide path with them being spaced about every, what, 25 feet? Sure, if it's dark outside and you have no flashlight you might die...
It is a relative risk. The post was saying that both sides have risk. The absolute risk of both sides for young people is small. But the relative risk of one path is at least an order or magnitude less, if not many orders of magnitude for many aspects. Risk of myocarditis is 8-10 times higher the "natural" way, than the "protected" way. Both paths have lots of unknowns, so that argument is a toss-up.

My roommate got one dose of Pfizer and had debilitating shingles about a week later that lasted two months. There is no way she could work in that condition, but she already has SSDI for other chronic illness.
I got a bad case of shingles last year too. About two months before I got the Pfizer shot. Maybe I can blame it on the Pfizer shot too.

I got a bad case of shingles last year too. About two months before I got the Pfizer shot. Maybe I can blame it on the Pfizer shot too.
Funny enough, there is also a Shingles Vaccine. Along with the new Chicken Pox vaccine for kids these days. Lucky for my son, who now has a 80-90% lower risk of getting Chicken Pox, and then an equally lower risk later on after getting the Shingles Vaccine. What a change now that no (haven't seen or heard of one in any kids in my son's school) kids have to go through a week of oatmeal baths.

HIV vaccine entering clinical trials soon, too.

And mRNA Plague vaccine trials - as in the Black Death. And yes it is still around.

I know someone who got a bad case of shingles after getting the shingles shot. He had to delay getting the COVID shot while he recovered, but I think he eventually got it.

When I got the second shingles shot the pharmacist told me right up front that he hadn't gotten it because he was nervous about it. Right before poking me. But I told him I hadn't gotten a bad reaction with the first shot so wasn't worried.

I know someone who got a bad case of shingles after getting the shingles shot. He had to delay getting the COVID shot while he recovered, but I think he eventually got it.

When I got the second shingles shot the pharmacist told me right up front that he hadn't gotten it because he was nervous about it. Right before poking me. But I told him I hadn't gotten a bad reaction with the first shot so wasn't worried.
I got the first shingles shot, but when the second one was due, there was none available.
Then it became available, but COVID became the headline and my doctor wanted to wait on the shingles shot until after I got COVID shot.
Then I got a case of shingles.
After recovering from shingles, I got the COVID shot, then later the second shot. And my doctor again said to wait for the second shingles shot.

But my original post about getting shingles before I got the COVID shot was to point out that shingles happens, COVID shot or not.
Correlation does not equal causation. Getting shingles after a COVID shot does not prove that the shot caused the shingles.

As an aside, I just found out that my 32 yr old nephew, who refused the vaccine and came down with a fairly serious case of COVID (hospitalized) has found out that his 9 yr old son doesn't just have a bad cold. HE had COVID.

But my original post about getting shingles before I got the COVID shot was to point out that shingles happens, COVID shot or not.
Correlation does not equal causation. Getting shingles after a COVID shot does not prove that the shot caused the shingles.
And my post was to provide an example that people can get shingles even after being vaccinated (for shingles, not COVID). :)

I wasn't trying to imply that the vaccine caused the shingles. I think he got vaccinated sometime in the past, not immediately before he got shingles.

You are correct. There is a risk (small) of dying from the vaccine but I'm fairly certain that's not allowed to be said ...
I think there's a risk of dying or a bad outcome with any vaccine (or medical procedure), but that needs to be evaluated against the risk of the thing you are getting the vaccine to prevent.

I probably didn’t have it as bad as you…but what I did do was walk. I walked as much as I could several times a day. As soon as the fever broke I walked and hacked…and walked and hacked. I took me a couple of weeks before I felt half normal. Hang in there. Your immune system is working as designed.

the good news is now you have natural immunity. ;)

Last edited:
I probably didn’t have it as bad as you…but what I did do was walk. I walked as much as I could several times a day. As soon as the fever broke I walked and hacked…and walked and hacked. I took me a couple of weeks before I felt half normal. Hang in there. Your immune system is working as designed.

the good news is now you have natural immunity. ;)

I walked nearly every day as well. There were a couple days in there that I never left the couch, and a few days that I only made it 50 yards, but I got up and moved around as much as I could stand. Thankfully, I don't have to hack at this point, and I'm getting stronger every day. I've actually improved three fold since I started this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back