Questions for Management of POA

As I said earlier, first world problems. It’s nice to have nothing more to complain about than how a forum mod decided to treat your post. I don’t know how we can live in such tyranny.

Reactions: Ted
Yes, conservatives have long complained about the moderators liberal bias. And, some have left (ohhh - perhaps that is the wrong word) because of it.

On the other hand, those of the liberal persuasion are not happy with what the conservatives get away with.
The rule on every internet forum I've been on is that "no politics" means "no politics unless it's conservative politics". I've just learned to live with it.
On this forum, I feel they are reasonably even-handed. You do need to report it. I'll sometimes flag a thread so they can watch it a little more pro-actively.

@Bill Greenwood

May I suggest you check out purpleboard.net.

there are lots of good people over there. Many of them used to be here but tired of the heavy-handed stifling here (or they still are here but rarely, if ever, participate).

it has a political forum you can opt into separately if so desired (I haven't).

and the best part is that it is not a public forum so you have to be far less careful about what you discuss there. No worries about an FAA pinhead running across your post about buzzing your buddies house (or whatever). ;)

and you can cuss over there like an adult also!
The problem is the political BS leaks out from the spin-zone (Mos Eisley) over there. If I wanted to read that BS, I'd go over to Pilotspin, or sign up for the Mos Eisley over there.

Last edited:
You needed to be around when the spin zone was in its prime. You agree to the rules when you join the group. The mods can never please everyone. Just my opinion.

The Purple Board wins the prize for classiest name for their politics section, IMO: "Mos Eisley."

Mryan75, thanks for your comment. I somehow, without any evidence to prove it, just got the impression that this forum was a little more balanced and a little less hypocritical than others. No one told me that, the management never in any way claimed that. And we have Ted above who seems to be proud to not have freedom of speech as one goal of the forum. Once again he raises the red herring of "rights" as if he is arguing a case in court. And he writes of "civil" and I'd bet a $100 that I didn't write anything in my post that was deleted that was uncivil toward anyone on this forum.

The funniest thing I always find with attacking the MC policies is that, so long as it’s not a personal attack, we allow it. So people complain about how we’re tyrants, and we are such tyrants that we don’t remove the posts nor issue warnings with points for it.

Yep, tyrants.

Bill, what's your goal here? It appears to just be attention seeking and fist pounding. The MC is not going to change and certainly not for a member that has been here a month and only proceeds to make waves. You are not captive - and free to leave at anytime OR participate within the RoC.

Bill, what's your goal here? It appears to just be attention seeking and fist pounding. The MC is not going to change and certainly not for a member that has been here a month and only proceeds to make waves. You are not captive - and free to leave at anytime OR participate within the RoC.
Maybe he’s trying to win a tee shirt.
359C8C64-5699-4496-A6C0-1684883EDDF4.jpeg

Mryan75, thanks for your comment. I somehow, without any evidence to prove it, just got the impression that this forum was a little more balanced and a little less hypocritical than others. No one told me that, the management never in any way claimed that. And we have Ted above who seems to be proud to not have freedom of speech as one goal of the forum. Once again he raises the red herring of "rights" as if he is arguing a case in court. And he writes of "civil" and I'd bet a $100 that I didn't write anything in my post that was deleted that was uncivil toward anyone on this forum.
Red herring. Lol. Freedom of speech is a right. It’s a specific legal thing. It’s not some imaginary thing you do on a website to let people drive level headed people away from your site that becomes filled with venom over time.
And with that, it’s time to leverage the ignore feature because this is not my fight. Congrats on being my first.

Ted.I never used the word tyrants nor did I write it in regard to any one on this forum nor any moderator of this forum. If I am mistaken, Ive got $100 that I'll put on that if you can recover the post I wrote. Maybe you really didn't read it and are just assuming.
By the way if we are going to make spurious comments, are you the guy who keeps writing on Salty's garage door? And that is suppose to have a little humor to it.

Ted, I think my best course at this point is just to ignore it as if it didn't happen, and this forum is like most if not all the rest. I don't have a "right" to expect any more than that.

Last edited:
Ted.I never used the word tyrants nor did I write it in regard to any one on this forum nor any moderator of this forum. If I am mistaken, Ive got $100 that I'll put on that if you can recover the post I wrote. Maybe you really didn't read it and are just assuming.
By the way if we are going to make spurious comments, are you the guy who keeps writing on Salty's garage door? And that is suppose to have a little humor to it.
I think Ted was just making a general comment. You are not the first to critique the MC's policies and I doubt you'll be the last. Some of the those who didn't like the policies were less than polite about it.

And we have Ted above who seems to be proud to not have freedom of speech as one goal of the forum.
How on earth did you make it all the way through the rules of conduct and come out with the expectation of "freedom of speech"? The ROC states very clearly certain types of 'speech' that are not permitted. That should have been a clue.

Nauga,
who doesn't scream about cars in church

Geez, @Bill Greenwood , what's your goal here? You've been here a month and already want to argue about the moderation of the site. Just like when you were shocked that a company selling you half-price fuel and giving you a free lunch wanted your email address for marketing, I'm not sure what you're expecting.

There's a pattern here. Just saying...

Not everything has to be political, even if it involves people who have prominent political backgrounds.

In the absence of a properly educated society, everything is now indeed political.

There is a coordinated ongoing effort to keep it that way.

Unless there is a change, we are doomed as a culture.

But arguing on the internet is still like the Special Olympics.

We have a local man here, Walter Isacson, who is or was the ceo of Time INC. He sponsors a program every summer called Ideas, I think. They bring in people from all over the world and it really is diverse, they have had Dick Cheney and they have had Hillary and hundreds more, big names from business, government, even entertainment and sports. One of the news worthy ones last year was Caitlan Jenner. They had Martina Navratilova, who by the way is a pilot. Bill Gates, Geo Bush, Bill Clinton, They really have the good, the bad, and even a few of the ugly. It goes on for a month and is very popular and sold out attendance.
The key is that everyone gets to make a speech then answer questions from the moderator and the audience. And you are expected to be polite, no personal insults, but you can make your point strongly or disagree with anyone.
I think it is great, and many other people do also. Now I know a small event like this is not going to solve global warming or maybe even make a dent in other major problems, but it may help. And I don't expect any airplane forum to be in that category but I still think it is great.
PS and as for as I can tell none of them write on anyone's garage doors.

Last edited:
To your point about a forum with lots of politically different folks (BIll, Bush, Gates etc) - sounds great. Think the point here is the common denominator is flying. Not Politics. I have strong political opinions and I am free to express them. I just don't do it here (and in several other places) because it's not what its about here.

@Bill Greenwood
You are the first person in over 10 years that has made me come to the defense of the MC.

Get over it.

edit: I"m not sure that came out right. I have expressed my appreciation to the MC before. I have just never felt the need to defend them from someone that thinks they are so special.

I thought this name sounded familiar. Got chucked off of beechtalk a few years back.

Hang 4 , the forum started by Walter Iasacson is not a "politics" forum, although there are major political figures there, as well as business, sports, entertainment, science, even the U S military, etc. It is a Idea Festival. For instance the doctor from the medical center in Houston on latest research and treatments for cancer. I saw a replay just this morning and it was on jet engines and how GE has profited because their new engines send so much data to the ground not only on how they are running, but their service history etc. very high tech.
It is NOT POLITICAL, in the sense that no one is advocating any candidate or any lobbying for any election. Many of these people have already been in office or a success in business. Now many issues do have a political connection, ie how can you talk about global warming without talking internal combustion or wilderness preservation without considering oil and gas production, but it doesn't start with any one running for office.
There are some of the most brilliant, most educated, most successful people in the world, and really really a diverselot, and it is in a beautiful setting, and people love to come to it as a participant or viewer.
Now, I know some people don't want to hear anything beyond that which they get on Fox news, but there is a big world our there. If I have my history right.there is a tradition of learning all the way back to Socrates and on trough the British round table where information is discussed to try to learn from it, not to be afraid of ideas or to work so hard to censure them.
Of course none of this can compare to a forum where the question of what part number is the washer on a 172 nosegear.

If you need that washer and it costs $150 from Cessna, it might be helpful to find an approved substitute.

I was not trying to detract from the forum you were talking about, just saying it's different that what is here. I belong to one that is focused on Hang Gliding, several on GA flying and I used to be on one that was focused on older Porsche cars. Each one is a topic that has a knowledge base that is difficult to acquire elsewhere or before the internet. You are assuming my choice in news sources without actually knowing who I am which is why I find political discussions on sites with a specific topical area so useless. I have never seen any evidence of anyone saying " gee I never thought about it that way, I'm changing from an X to a Y due to your persuasive argument.

If I want to understand the world outside of aviation, I'm going somewhere else to achieve that. I have been on several forums where some of the most knowledgeable posters got chased off by members who created a political issue about everything. It just became constant shouting. That forum is a ghost of it's former self and pretty useless at this point.

One of the funniest things I have done in aviation is hang gliding, I used to do some of it. I m, still a novice and it seems most people have gone to parachutes now. I have a good friend. a pilot who still hang glides.
I am not assuming your news source, that came from a survy of voters in Ohio and they almost exclusively used only FOX.
And no, I am not trying to get anyone to change their mind.that first has to start with someone being open minded and wanting to know more then they do now and so many people are not that way.
I owned 2 Porsches. Great car. I knew some friends who raced 917s at Le Mans and they said a great thrill in racing was sifting into high gear at 190mph and still accelerating hard. and 217 mph on Mulsane straight and still accelerating. One man said, "We don't do that at Laguna Seca. Im not a car nut anymore, streets are too crowded and planes are more special.But there is still just that little yearning there, mostly but not quite fully suppressed.
Finally, I didn't "create political issue " about anything. I didn't start the topic, there were 33 posts before mine, and I only responded to a the ludicrous idea that we are somehow supposed to respect some office without regard to who is there. Do we have to respect a lawyer who got O J acquitted or who works for the Mafia?

Last edited:
Hang 4 , the forum started by Walter Iasacson is not a "politics" forum, although there are major political figures there, as well as business, sports, entertainment, science, even the U S military, etc. It is a Idea Festival. For instance the doctor from the medical center in Houston on latest research and treatments for cancer. I saw a replay just this morning and it was on jet engines and how GE has profited because their new engines send so much data to the ground not only on how they are running, but their service history etc. very high tech.
It is NOT POLITICAL, in the sense that no one is advocating any candidate or any lobbying for any election. Many of these people have already been in office or a success in business. Now many issues do have a political connection, ie how can you talk about global warming without talking internal combustion or wilderness preservation without considering oil and gas production, but it doesn't start with any one running for office.
There are some of the most brilliant, most educated, most successful people in the world, and really really a diverselot, and it is in a beautiful setting, and people love to come to it as a participant or viewer.
Now, I know some people don't want to hear anything beyond that which they get on Fox news, but there is a big world our there. If I have my history right.there is a tradition of learning all the way back to Socrates and on trough the British round table where information is discussed to try to learn from it, not to be afraid of ideas or to work so hard to censure them.
Of course none of this can compare to a forum where the question of what part number is the washer on a 172 nosegear.

BillyMadison.mov

For what? Forgetting the Grey Poupon? ;)

I don't care who you are, or what you believe - that there is fun-NEE!

---

As for the whole topic here, a few comments:

1. The reason we did away with the Spin Zone had nothing to do with wanting to "repress free speech," or anything like that; it was a purely administrative decision, based upon the fact that we were being inundated with Bad Post reports which amounted to a bunch of people being butt hurt because somebody disagreed with them (and, often, people disagreed with each other with an utter lack of civility). We all have day jobs, and binding children doesn't fit into the plan.

2. You might be amazed at the diversity of opinion extant within the current membership of the Management Council; somehow, though, we are all pretty nice to each other. I'll say this about each and all of them: I would trust them at any time, for any reason, and as a group, they are a bunch of good people (I speak about the other; about myself, others have to decide).

3. What kind of pilots is this board intended to draw and/or represent? I think, pretty much, any who operate aircraft - or who wish to operate aircraft. Obviously, we have a strong predominance of general aviation-only pilots, but there are more than a few who are professional pilots, and of course, active duty and retired military. The Management Council has one active Part 121 Captain, a retired Part 135 pilot, at least two additional holders of Commercial Pilot certificates (both instructors), and at least one A&P mechanic. I am sure I have left out some qualifications, but understand this: our common nexus is a love of aviation. Speaking for myself, learning to fly and becoming involved in the aviation community has allowed some of the greatest blessings in my life, including lifelong, devoted friends, and nearly all of these, I originally encountered as a result of being a participant at Pilots of America. (At least one married couple met through pilots of America, both spouses being active pilots, and producing - as of now - three beautiful children).

4. Unlike virtually every other web board you'll ever encounter, Pilots of America is owned by a non-profit entity, and will thus never be monetized by some individual who controls the URL, a fate which nearly every other Internet message board ultimately suffers. It is, well and truly, your community, as long as "you" are somebody who sincerely loves aviation, and wants to talk about it with others who do as well.

Can you hear the fife and drums yet?

Suck it up.
It’s an airplane forum.
Talk about planes or cole slaw.
If you want to play with politics or boob topics, get ready for whatever you get from forum leadership.
Ain’t that hard, unless you have no other life or issues that are “real” and want to create a cause.

I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this month, sorry to be a crank (actually, I’m not sorry, meant that to be somewhat polite).

Palm Pilot you have a wonderful knack for misquoting or twisting a quote. I said that I never used the word "tyrants" IN MY ORIGINAL POST ON THE TOPIC . AND IT WAS NOT NO 17 ON SOME FOLLOW UP. I did not refer to any Mod as a "tryant" and I made the offer to Ted. of $500 if he can resurrect my original post and prove I did. No response from him on that offer.

I said that I never used the word "tyrants" IN MY ORIGINAL POST ON THE TOPIC .

You said "never," and you didn't say anything about that being limited to your original post:

Ted, I think my best course at this point is just to ignore it as if it didn't happen, and this forum is like most if not all the rest. I don't have a "right" to expect any more than that.

S Cutler, you say the mods are good guys. They may well be, I never said they weren't. never called anyone a "tyrant' and never wrote anything uncivil about any one on this forum. You say you have a diverse group among management. Ive got a $100 we can bet on that. And you say you would "trust" the group, of course you would, you can trust them to think, talk and operate within small parameters where everyone is pretty much the same. A sociologist could point out that is the way groups operate, doesn't matter if its the Marine Corp or the KKK, having the same language maybe even same clothes, but most of all thinking alike and discouraging any outside thinking.
You also say you had a lot of complaints and "bad " reports from a lot of people. That problem wasn't me. I didn't report someone and frankly I cant see myself doing that, its so juvenile to say to big daddy moderator the someone has written something other than what you hear on Fox, and it shakes your whole world so badly you cant stand it. I think it is wrong to encourage people to whine about something like this, and bad tatics. Of course it your forum.
I happen to think the best of the "good guys" are those who are intelligent, information seekers. open minded, and certainly secure enough that they aren't frightened by an idea that may not be in theirirror. You can certainly be a good guy, or think you are and stay in your small comfort zone, just like most people probably want to do. Its your forum and no one else has any "rights" to expect otherwise. I'm not sure where I got the idea that this forum might be more, no one promised it, just my disillusion. I am probably out of my element, my heroes are not often the last sheep in line, I tend to look up to people like Abe Lincoln or Dr, King who had a vision of something better.

Last edited:
Bill Greenwood, do you fly an airplane in your spare time?
Tell us about that, not free speech.

I am a relative newbie here, and I like the lack of political wrangling.
Airplanes is what I come here for, and sometimes cars and food.
There is thread drift into balloons too, but they are a variation of airplanes.
It would suit me if this thread went POOF, but there is a message here..... we are about flying.
That may discourage others from making a big deal about minor things.
PS, there was a post about Bill Clinton, and it did not get wiped, so there is some tolerance of two parties.

Let it go. It’s a collection of electrons where people get together to talk pilot ****. Go fly, enjoy aviation.

Bill, some of us here at POA know you from other websites, and we don't troll you looking to start fights, or anything. In fact, I've still got that helmet. Some of us realize that relationships are more important than changing minds here on the internet. Aviation brings us together on this forum, so let's stick to what's good with the world on this website and when we sit down over a meal face to face we can talk about harder things...

Bill, some of us here at POA know you from other websites, and we don't troll you looking to start fights, or anything. In fact, I've still got that helmet. Some of us realize that relationships are more important than changing minds here on the internet. Aviation brings us together on this forum, so let's stick to what's good with the world on this website and when we sit down over a meal face to face we can talk about harder things...

Similarly, I know Bill has some great stories and insight. It would be a shame for that to be lost to this forum if he continues on his current course.

Back