Questions about registering a deregistered EAB

lsaway

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
lsaway
I'm looking at an EAB aircraft for sale that was donated to a charity. Registration expired a few years ago. Seller has the logbooks, original AW certificate, and builders manual. Seller will not provide an FAA Bill of Sale, for reason that it has been deregistered. Without an FAA bill of sale, what would be involved? Is it possible to rebuild this aircraft and obtain a new EAB certificate? I would be looking at making changes to the configuration anyway, so can the process start over?

I believe you can re-register the aircraft, but best to ask the FAA, EAA or AOPA legal advice, or an aviation attorney to get the exact details. It might be as simple as essentially getting a bill of sale from the charity. Basically you need something that the FAA will accept as proof of ownership. You cannot obtain a new AWC, but you shouldn’t have to.

Last edited:
Seller will not provide an FAA Bill of Sale, for reason that it has been deregistered. Without an FAA bill of sale, what would be involved?
I would give the Registration Branch a call on the local number with your questions: (405) 954-3116. They should be able to give you your answers. Don't follow why they seller wont give you a Form 8050-2. Have used them on imported aircraft with no problems.

I would give the Registration Branch a call on the local number with your questions: (405) 954-3116. They should be able to give you your answers. Don't follow why they seller wont give you a Form 8050-2. Have used them on imported aircraft with no problems.

I am assuming because imported aircraft don't have any FAA record of previous or current registered owner.

I am assuming because imported aircraft don't have any FAA record of previous or current registered owner.
Not at all. Technically Form 8050-2 is just one method to prove ownership. You could use an Bill of Sale that is equivalent to 8050-2 or one of a number of other methods. The main issue is to prove the chain of ownership. Being a de-registered E/AB doesn't prevent the use of a 8050-2, however, there may be something else required in your situation hence the recommendation to call Oak City.

as bell pointed out, getting it re-registered is just a matter of providing proof of ownership acceptable to the FAA. The key is having the AWC, without that, its a paperweight. you can get a duplicate, but if it was surrendered, it a no go. you cannot get a new one issued.

Back