Questions about jobs

Jason M

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jay M
Hello

I’m looking at going as an aircraft mechanic/working on aircraft in general and just have a few questions I couldn’t pin down an answer to.
I’ve seen various opinions, but it looks like the general consensus is to get A&P certified then get a job. I can’t put my finger on it, but it seems like there might be one or two more certs/licenses. Is that the case?
When I did a search on Indeed/ZipRecruiter for "Aircraft Mechanic" I couldn’t find any jobs that didn’t require prior experience. How do you get that experience if everyone requires you to have it beforehand?
Again in reference in the search I did on Indeed/ZipRecruiter, it looked like most of the jobs (even the ones that required a few years experience) all had roughly the same pay. The numbers work out to be a fair bit less than the median. I would expect that to start, but I’m not seeing a way to increase the pay. What am I missing?

(think this is the best place to put this, sorry if it's in the wrong spot)

The most economical route is a community college that has an aviation curriculum. It takes time but if you get the licenses the rest will follow. It's that whole "journey of a thousand steps starts with the first one" thing.

Another option (not all states have community colleges with A&P) is to apprentice at a local and reputable shop. Get the books (free PDF on the FAA website), study & learn the hands-on work. When you pass the exams, not only will you be an A&P but also have experience.

There are 3 sections to the A&P: General, Airframe and Powerplant (at least when I was in A&P school). General is exactly what it sounds like - basic arithmetic, drawing, understanding and writing log entries, basic hands-on stuff (simple electronics, safety wiring, simple welding, various fluids, etc), finding problems (squawks in the airplane), FAA regs, and so on. The other 2 are specific to the topic.

Get the FAA books, they will help you understand the topics and processes.

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation

8083-31A (2 vol), 8083-32A (2 vol) and the AMT General Handbook.

Last edited:
This is a good time to make a clarification. Mechanics hold a mechanic certificate, not an “A&P”. On that certificate you will have airframe and power plant ratings. An inspection authorization comes later, and isn’t really a rating on the certificate although you have to have a mechanic certificate.

Perhaps that is what you’re thinking of.

Experience expectations will likely vary depending on what you’re trying to get a job working on.

but it seems like there might be one or two more certs/licenses. Is that the case?
There have been several recent threads on PoA about obtaining an A&P certificate that give a lot of info. But in general, you have an airframe certificate and a powerplant certificate. In order to qualify for those certificates you must either attend a Part 147 mechanic school or obtain documented hands-on experience equaling 18 months for each certificate or 30 months combined for both certificates. There's a military experience path but it doesn't sound like that applies in your case. There have also been some recent changes to the Part 147 schools where distance learning will become part of the curriculum. Check out the other threads first then come back with your questions.
How do you get that experience if everyone requires you to have it beforehand?
If talking about after you obtain your certificates there are a number of aviation companies that hire new A&Ps with no experience. Zip Recruiter and the like are not a good source entry level job availability. Regardless, another option is to look for an aviation company who has an in-house apprentice program where you work for your experience as long as you commit to get your A&P. A lot of this depends where you are located or want to locate to. In most cases, as mentioned above the quickest way to an A&P based on your original questions is to find and attend a community college with an A&P program.

Last edited:
I found most of the salaries on glass door and similar to be inaccurate for aircraft maintenance jobs. Any regional airline in today’s market will hire you without experience.

Thank you for all the information!

Klaus M, I am not a pilot.

Thank you for all the information!

Klaus M, I am not a pilot.

None of the mechanics that work at one large GA maintenance facility near me are pilots (and have not been for years), including the head of maintenance and the IA. These are guys that work on planes from the large local flight school and itinerant traffic including turboprops. They also happen to work on my bird.

It might help in hiring but is not necessary, especially if there is a mechanic shortage (which I’ve only heard anecdotally is the case).

Don’t lose focus on your mechanic cert. You can always learn to fly later if you want.

Get your A+P .go to Savannnah. Get a job at Gulfstream. If you are going to bend wrenches for a living do it on the planes that pay the most

Know a couple guys that left Hunter AAF right into working up the road at Gulfstream. Probably doubled their salary over night…and no deployments.

None of the mechanics that work at one large GA maintenance facility near me are pilots (and have not been for years), including the head of maintenance and the IA. These are guys that work on planes from the large local flight school and itinerant traffic including turboprops. They also happen to work on my bird.

It might help in hiring but is not necessary, especially if there is a mechanic shortage (which I’ve only heard anecdotally is the case).

Don’t lose focus on your mechanic cert. You can always learn to fly later if you want.
The question I have to any Aircraft Mechanic that does not have a pilot license.. Why?

Why work on planes and make half as much. The lowest paying mechanic jobs any mechanic can get is an aircraft maintenance job. That's why there's an Aircraft Mechanic shortage. SAE will make you much more then an A&P.

Work there for a few years then get a corporate job and do post flights. Arrivals and departures. They go away for weeks at a time.

The question I have to any Aircraft Mechanic that does not have a pilot license.. Why?
Simple. Flying was not what I wanted to do. But I think it was best summed up by several of my old mentors who had started wrench-turning and flying in the 20s: you can either be a great mechanic and a good pilot… or you can be a great pilot and a good mechanic. Both take years to be great. While I did pursue flight training, I never went past student for the simple reason I was too busy working on aircraft. And most the mechanics I run with have similar backgrounds.

Regardless, while I think there are still some niche markets where having a pilot ticket does enhance a mechanic’s services/position, in general, for the last 50 years or so having that ticket doesn’t get you in the door any quicker or necessarily make you a better mechanic. The bottom line from my perspective is if you want to fly for a living concentrate on being the best pilot you can be or if you want to work on aircraft concentrate on that and be the best you can.

As to the earning potential of a mechanic that is very subjective to the job, location, and personal requirements vs a general statement of “making half as much.” I know more mechanics who have retired early than pilots who have retired early. So in my book its more than just a nickel that drives people to want to be an aircraft mechanic. Unfortunately, in today's world fewer people want to pursue an A&P just as with any other manual skill field with the A&P shortage on the verge to accelerate in the next several years. Interesting times ahead for sure.

Last edited:
I would expect that to start, but I’m not seeing a way to increase the pay. What am I missing?
Things have a way of working out in this business. The key is to follow your own interests. I can’t emphasize that enough. There’s plenty of ways to increase salary, if that’s your goal.
Don’t worry, most FBO’s and flight schools will hire up a fresh A&P. You’ll likely work under a lead A&P or IA. Before you know it you’ll have the experience to move in any direction you like.

Pilots license: Not required. Focus on the A&P first. Only get a pilot ticket if it’s what YOU want. Most A&Ps that I’ve worked with do not have it. Actually, some of the best A&P/IA’s I’ve had the pleasure of working alongside had zero interest in flying. Can it help make more money? Sure, it can certainly open doors.

College degrees: Not required, but can you make more money? Will it open doors? Probably. Again, you have do what’s right for you in this business.

Here’s my route: Got the A&P, private pilot, and associates degree at at a CC many years ago. Hired into a jr GA mechanic pos at a large FBO. The FBO had a contract to provide on-call maint to the airlines. After a couple years I signed up for that gig. Then worked my way into a part time A&P position for a couple big airlines. Then on to full time. The airlines have tuition reimbursement. Yep, sign me up for that please:) It took while but was able to get a bachelors at ERAU free of charge. Meanwhile I kept up my hobby of flying and GA work. 10 years later I decided to get my instrument rating. Then commercial, flight instructor ratings, and so on. Enjoyed working as an A&P in the morning and teaching flying in the afternoons. Finally, 18 years after my A&P decided to switch to flying full time. Big pay cut for a while, but had the time of my life and learned a running ton! I’ve flopped around a bit but always because it’s what I enjoyed.
Now, 36 years after the A&P I’m still flying, and still find myself working on GA airplanes on my off days because it’s what I like!

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back