Question for owners of the Garmin G5's

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
With the current vacuum DG in our club's C182, it is my practice to periodically cross check the DG against the compass and make any necessary corrections due to the precession of the instrument.

For you those with the G5's (or any similar glass instrument), do you still perform this cross check?

Assuming you're referencing a dual G5 installation; Install the GMU 11 magnetometer for $275, as it will provide the accurate magnetic reference source for the G5 HSI.

We have a dual G5 setup and no vacuum, however, I don't reference it because you cannot change it. Because of precession I mostly relied on the magnetic course from the 540/430. However you will probably have to reference the compass if you are using a legacy AP, otherwise you would have pulled out your vacuum system and installed two G5s. Are you guys putting in the DG/HSI alter?

The compass is there, because FAA says it needs to be there. Other than that I haven’t looked at it since I installed G5 with magnetometer. No precision error with my legacy AP. GAD 29B magic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this is valid for anyone with an HSI, not just glass/G5?

I check it once at start-up, and may check it once or twice in flight out of habit.

I check it once at start-up, and may check it once or twice in flight out of habit.

If the HSI is slaved, then there’s no precession to worry about. Just like the G5, if slaved to a magnetometer, no update is needed.

I have a single G5 and still have a compass. I'm nostalgic about my compass, everything else is digital or glass.

I had a non slaved NSD 360. Had to check it pretty regularly for precession. Now with the G5 that’s a non issue. Love my dual G5’s.

Back