Question for Lear Jet Pilots

aviationluver

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Slumdawg_FO
I had the chance to fly a Lear 25D the other day. It was an extremely uncomfortable because of the small cockpit.

I'm 6'1' and my legs were jammed and held into place by the control yolk and rudder pedals. Also, the pilot's chair doesn't move back that far.

Does the Lear 35 or other Lears have more space? I might be getting a job offer to fly a Lear and I want to make sure I'm comfortable and not jammed into a space for long periods of time.

Thanks.

I know some guys down in Columbia that should be able to adjust your height for you. Free of charge.

I'm 6'6" and had to pass on a job flying a 35 because there was no way I could fly the plane. I knew a guy that was 6'5" and was fine in the 35. Lot of it depends on how you're proportioned. The only way to know is try it on and see.

Im 6'4" and can fly in a Piaggio. Try that and tell me it ain't uncomfortable.

I had the chance to fly a Lear 25D the other day...I want to make sure I'm comfortable and not jammed into a space for long periods of time.
It's a 25, not enough fuel to be comfortable for long periods of time.

dtuuri

Once you figure out how to get in the seat, it isn't so bad.

There is a joke about how to tell a Lear pilot. "He walks with a canted head and carries a little metal suitcase."

I tried on a C340 and was saddened to find that there was less leg and elbow room than in my Cherokee. Just over 6', 34" inseam and 44 Long jacket (in case someone wants to order something for me from Brooks Brothers for Christmas.) Not jumbo sized by any means. I swear most GA planes were designed for 5'8", 170 lb guys who stayed slim by smoking like fiends.

There is a joke about how to tell a Lear pilot. "He walks with a canted head and carries a little metal suitcase."

I get the reference to "canted head", but why the reference to a metal suitcase?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or look for the 5'4" pilots in the FBO.:lol:

I flew a 25 and 35 with a guy who is 6'6 and he was always uncomfortable. Im 6'1 and while, not comfortable, it is tolerable.
The 55 and 60 are much roomier

Bill Lear was 5'2....hence the cockpit designs.:goofy:(this is joke...don't know how tall he was)

Never understand designs of some of these jets(and other airframes)....and the aversion to make the pilot comfortable over other aspects of design.

I fit just fine in a 35 (and am obviously happy flying it). But for the sake of full disclosure l'm only about 5'9" :D Flew 24s and 25s too, and they're all about the same.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    58.9 KB · Views: 42
I fit just fine in a 35 (and am obviously happy flying it). But for the sake of full disclosure l'm only about 5'9" :D Flew 24s and 25s too, and they're all about the same.

Lucky short guy!!! Guess we can say that also for fighter pilots!!!:D

5'9 and skinny... The stereotypical Lear pilot.;)

I have never piloted one, but I used to overhaul their GE CJ610-8A engines at KPDK. I rode in back up to 51,000' to test the engines. The highest I have ever been. Wow, what a view! It started getting dark in the middle of the day, you could clearly see the curvature of the Earth and the pilot rolled the yoke full right and left to show how thin the air really was. Barely any roll from his inputs. Have fun flying it, jeez it had some serious power with three on board!

I get the reference to "canted head", but why the reference to a metal suitcase?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mapco coffee heaters:

img52d06d969b491.jpg

Looks like if you were any taller, your head would hit. At 6' I sat in a 35, it was tight, the passenger area look quite comfortable

Back