Question for helicopter pilots

Cap'n Jack

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cap'n Jack
What is the control in his hand? The line isn't on a winch- is it another set of flight controls?

28347615155_938410f346_h.jpg

28313800746_8664ec2be5_h.jpg

28244219402_7aa16f2b58_h.jpg

Not a heli pilot, but it looks like the collective to me. The black cable tubing thats on the side looks like an independent device that works with the winch.

if the black tubing is what you are asking, that would be the manual hook release

??? the pilots left hand he is holding the Collective Pitch Control

Not a heli pilot, but it looks like the collective to me. The black cable tubing thats on the side looks like an independent device that works with the winch.

if the black tubing is what you are asking, that would be the manual hook release

Thanks. It looked like the collective was outside the aircraft, and that confused me. There is no winch on that rig (that's why I posted the set), but I agree with the hook release. The cable confused me initially, too, since it looked like it was part of the collective control.

Don't some more hi-tech helos have autopilots??

Don't some more hi-tech helos have autopilots??

Yes, a lot of helos have them. At around 130K a pop, not too many of your piston helos have them but some of the R44s do. Probably not much use to the operation above but they help with fatigue on long XCs. Some larger aircraft have systems like hover hold but I'd be willing to bet this guy is all hands and all feet here.

Last edited:
Thanks. It looked like the collective was outside the aircraft, and that confused me. There is no winch on that rig (that's why I posted the set), but I agree with the hook release. The cable confused me initially, too, since it looked like it was part of the collective control.

Heh, yea - did you ever check out a Hiller UH12 ? the pilot's station is in the middle seat and the removable controls on the left. The collective is literally on the outside of the helicopter, they even molded the LH door around it. Some AG guys sit left seat instead of center seat.

That guys not on a winch, it appears to be a fixed cable to me. So if you think about it that collective is a winch control !

For any skydivers out there, if you look closely it appears that the release mechanism is a ring system similar to the 3-ring system on skydiving rigs.

Heh, yea - did you ever check out a Hiller UH12 ? the pilot's station is in the middle seat and the removable controls on the left. The collective is literally on the outside of the helicopter, they even molded the LH door around it. Some AG guys sit left seat instead of center seat.
I haven't yet, though I like to look at the different aircraft that stop by.

The MD 500 series is typically flown from the left seat, as is the MD 600. The control you see is the collective control.

This is a typical sling load operation with the exception that it's HEC (Human External Cargo). Thus this requires the extra 'Belly Band" that you see in the photo that is not used on other types of sling load operations. In this photo the belly band is actually hiding the hook, but I assure you it is there.

The purpose of the belly band is to protect against accidental release of the load. (Humans don't like it when you drop them for a helicopter sling) It is just an additional back up measure.

PJ

You all act like it's totally normal for a guy to be dangling under a helicopter.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

"Saw" this today. Another job of the MD500.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Back