Question, can I travel from AK thru Canada with Basic Med?

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
So the topic states it in short. Can I fly from Juneau to the lower 48 on Basic Med? If I fuel in Ketchikan and make 1 stop in Port Hardy, Canada is it legal? The last time I traveled that way I stayed behind a fenced area. No customs reporting. Just fuel and a pee break. Can I do that under Basic Med?

I have never been asked for my medical cert when traveling thru Canada. Is it a no go for the flight or not?

Theoretically I guess you could go into international waters, then fly to AK. Of course, that would be beyond insane - if you could even carry the fuel.

Well I guess my solution is to have a copilot with a 3rd class medical. Have them fly with me to Seattle, fly the wife down commercial and send copilot home commercial.

That is my best option, I may even sell the plane as I travel for 6 months in the lower 48

The Basic Med legislation does not authorize operations outside of the United States. Other countries may allow pilots to fly in their airspace under US Basic Med though. So far the only countries that allow this are the Bahamas and Mexico, not Canada. The legislation does not specifically authorize oceanic flights outside of the US, so going in international waters outside of US jurisdiction is likely afoul of the rule.
Jon

When would this hypothetical flight take place?

I'm not Canada-eligible either, but I've got a husband who is...

Well I guess my solution is to have a copilot with a 3rd class medical. Have them fly with me to Seattle, fly the wife down commercial and send copilot home commercial.

That is my best option, I may even sell the plane as I travel for 6 months in the lower 48

Not to pick nits, but you'll be the co-pilot, and the person with the 3rd class will be the PIC.

I made my Conus to Alaska flight,and back, on my 3rd class in anticipation of going Basic Med later in the summer of 2017. But regarding your dilemma, what about getting ferry tanks to make the non-stop AK to Conus, staying out of Canadian airspace. Obviously weather will be an important factor on the coast, but with extra fuel, increased possibilities for safety.

So the topic states it in short. Can I fly from Juneau to the lower 48 on Basic Med? If I fuel in Ketchikan and make 1 stop in Port Hardy, Canada is it legal? The last time I traveled that way I stayed behind a fenced area. No customs reporting. Just fuel and a pee break. Can I do that under Basic Med?

I have never been asked for my medical cert when traveling thru Canada. Is it a no go for the flight or not?

Basic Med aside, Canada still has quite a few Covid related travel restrictions in place for foreign nationals. You might land in Port Hardy only to have a nice chat with the RCMP.

I made Juneau to PDX non-stop in a single once. But only because a Caravan holds 330 gallons of gas. Tailwind all the way and I had 350 lbs of of gas left when I landed. Get those ferry tanks installed in the Mouse.

Last edited:

As others have posted, no. Canada has something similar, called a Class 4 medical (for the Recreational Pilot Permit) that the U.S. doesn't recognise yet, either. The FAA and TC need to have a good talk. :)

The real problem is that ICAO doesn't yet have a standardised level of medical below Class 3 (e.g. one limited to day VFR). It would be great if some member countries made a push for it; then cross-border flying would be much easier.

You could hire someone to fly with you.

OK. Here’s an insane thought. Get a Canadian medical? If they deny and insult you - it doesn’t affect US Basic med

Hmmm.... Can he do that and fly on a combo of Canadian medical and US Pilot license? Mix and match?

Also, would a Canadian 4th class be sufficient?

Hmmm.... Can he do that and fly on a combo of Canadian medical and US Pilot license? Mix and match?

Also, would a Canadian 4th class be sufficient?

no. You’d have to match the Canadian medical with a Canadian certificate.

Of course! But I’m sure @AKBill loves a challenge, and of course money is no concern....
Well I have started to estimate what my trip will cost. 6 months traveling around the lower 48. I figure 1/2 the time staying with friends, 1/4 of the time in a rented RV and 1/4 the time in motels....:rolleyes:

Paint the plane black, fly at night, under their radar.......

Last edited:
Back