Question about the cockpit illumination colour of the Airbus 320

JetCat Alpha Bravo Zulu

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
JetCat
Hi pilots,

I have a question about the cockpit integral light for the A320 CEO (EIS2, and newest latest version).
In a lot of YouTube videos and on airliners.net photos the integral light looks orange almost deep red.

On some other pictures and videos it looks yellow.

When creating a cockpit - which one of these colours is the true correct illumination of the panels and the MCDU?
I cannot finish my cockpit project without knowing how the Airbus looks illuminated at night.

Thank you very much in advance for your answers :)

I spent a fair amount of time researching this when I was deciding on my cockpit lighting. I found a couple of research papers on lighting. My takeaway was that red isn't a good color in cockpits. One of the reasons was reading paper charts under red light which is not as important now in the age of EFB's.

The most important thing is being able to dim the lights. So I went with white lights LED's and a good dimming circuit. That way I can get the amount of light output very low if needed.

White light. I suppose some people may see a slight yellow tint, but that’s just the normal soft white light.

kritch is correct. the older buses had real light bulbs, which give off a warmer (ie more yellow) light. the new buses use led lights which are a cooler (more blue) light.

I have led lamps that have switchable white and blue leds. I rarely fly at night but tend to use the blue leds.

So the modern illumination is 1500 Kelvin warm-white, and the old illumination is like in an A330 this slightly amber-orange?
Excellent, in this case I am going to reduce the amount of yellow in the illumination colour layers :)

1500 Kelvin is very very warm (red/orange). 3000-3200K is a normal incandescent light bulb. 5400-5600K is normal daylight (more blue). (these are approximate). 4300K is called warm/white in the consumer world.

Thank you very much for the tips! I was able to create a nice cockpit illumination for my Airbus.

20230528142212_1.jpg

Back