question about piper value

fast99

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
fast99
Have been following aircraft sales for a while. Considering the purchase of a PA28 or 172 next year as a time builder. Looking at adds between the 2 brands Pipers seem to be priced quite a bit less with similar times, equipment and age. Know it is probably supply and demand but why? Is it the wing AD, flying characteristics, operating cost or something else? Did a search here couldn't find an answer. If this has been covered before, my apologies.

Everything being equal, the Piper is always gonna be cheaper than the Cessna.
Everybody will offer the reason one way or the other. Both have their problems. Just like Ford or Chevy trucks. Some people didn’t like the fact that pipers have one door. But that issue doesn’t seem to bother them when they talk about getting a Bonanza.
I think it’s because people trained in Cessnas by and large and that is what they are used to. people go with what they’re used to. I trained in both Pipers and Cessna‘s. I have a Piper and I’m fine with it.

Last edited:
More have learned in Cessna's than Piper......that's all. Both are middle of the line quality.

in any case, get the airplane you want.

When buying a Cessna 172 you're probably competing against flight schools who are buying them as trainers. My guess is they're willing to pay more b/c those planes are producing income for them.
PA28s are, for whatever reason, less popular trainers than C172s. And people just like to fly in what they know, as other people suggested.

As a PA28R owner for the last 3y I have no regrets about going the Piper route :). You don't burn a ton of gas, get a little bit more speed, and don't have a strut blocking your view as was documented by EMAN.

Buy whichever airplane gives you the most for the money you can afford. I have had both.

Wings fall off Pipers. I like my wings to stay on. I own a Cessna.
And you sweat more before....and after....the wings fall off! :eek: Full disclosure- I was heavily leaning toward a Piper Arrow but I wanted a 'newer' aircraft likely to have the typical age related squawks that might interfere with my training schedule. It was pointed out that a high wing would be a bit more comfortable in the deep south during the warm months (April to November LOL). I did not think that was anything to consider but in retrospect, it sure makes a significant difference (182).

Wings fall off Pipers. I like my wings to stay on. I own a Cessna.
They come off Cessnas also.

Fly anything like you aren't supposed to and things go bad. But, never let facts get in the way of a high winger and his proselytizing.

Cessna 172 is just the most common trainer, don’t know if it’s because of higher supply, easy access to parts and mechanics, or longer production years, I haven’t done any research but this would probably come into play.

Piper is a close second, I see them at a number of flight schools, usually newer aircraft, or a Piper Arrow to help get those complex hours for a commercial rating (not a requirement anymore).

Some other considerations are:

Low wing vs high wing

Single door

Requirement to keep an eye on fuel management

Piper has a shorter wingspan (easier to store in a hangar)

Many Pipers have no co-pilot brakes (can be added)

Piper generally feels like you are sitting down like a cool 16 year old in a race car, Cessna is more like your Mom driving a minivan.

Piper is cheaper to buy, I found the maintenance to be fine, and Piper uses less fuel than a Cessna. I can lean a Piper Arrow for 7gph or less (or more) whereas the club Cessna will be using 10-11gph.

When buying a Cessna 172 you're probably competing against flight schools who are buying them as trainers. My guess is they're willing to pay more b/c those planes are producing income for them.
PA28s are, for whatever reason, less popular trainers than C172s. And people just like to fly in what they know, as other people suggested.
I wonder if CFI's prefer having their own door/window. Maybe they feel easier about signing off on solo flights knowing the student will probably forget about the fuel selector.

At this moment on FlightAware, there are 729 Cessna 172s and 443 PA-28s. Down in third place is the Cessna 182, with 99.

Fly either, you'll have lots of company. If it were me looking for a time builder, I'd look for a Grumman Traveler or Cheetah, but I'm biased, I learned in Grummans.

I wonder if CFI's prefer having their own door/window. Maybe they feel easier about signing off on solo flights knowing the student will probably forget about the fuel selector.
They have their own door and window in either case.

Back