Question about letter from FAA

S

Stan22

Hello all, I obtained my 3rd class medical about 6 months ago. I reported a misdemeanor alcohol offense (non-driving related) that occurred 20 years ago. Nothing was said about it at the Dr and I received my medical in the office. About a week ago I received a letter from the FAA that after review of my records, that I’m eligible for a 3rd medical and my current one is still valid and expires at the normal time. What does that mean? Before it wasn’t good or it was a special issuance for a certain period of time?

What Greg said. The fact you disclosed it required they review the matter. They decided it wasn't disqualifying and you're good to go. Go fly!

Thanks..the letter just caught me off guard I guess. Thank you for the quick replies.

To expand a little, 67.407(c) makes the action of a AME subject to reconsideration by the medical branch for 60 days. We usually don't see it taking place, but if it's one of the potentially disqualifying events, we might get that type of letter, essentially saying "we reviewed and it's OK."

Got one of those after my last third class medical too. Gave me a "huh?" moment too. Posted it at the time. Is this what you got?
faaMedCaution.jpg

Typical FAA weasel wording. I had a false positive for a condition that took me years to convince the FAA that I didn't in fact have (even though all the providers submitted responses that said otherwise at the time). I got a letter like the above saying "OK, you don't have X, but if you ever do get X, stop flying and notify us." Great, no more likely to have X than anybody else, but the FAA can never concede they are wrong.

The funniest part of mine was which conditions were mentioned and which were left out. For example my mild seasonal hay fever was mentioned, but the condition which led to having an SI for several years was not.

To expand a little, 67.407(c) makes the action of a AME subject to reconsideration by the medical branch for 60 days. We usually don't see it taking place, but if it's one of the potentially disqualifying events, we might get that type of letter, essentially saying "we reviewed and it's OK."

Got one of those after my last third class medical too. Gave me a "huh?" moment too. Posted it at the time. Is this what you got?
faaMedCaution.jpg

Yea pretty much along this lines. I’m 35 so the normal date of experation is 5 years from the exam date correct?

Box 18(w) remains positive for every subsequent application. Save the eligibility letter and present it to every subsequent AME for a smooth issuance. DO NOT LOSE THE LETTER.

Last edited:
The funniest part of mine was which conditions were mentioned and which were left out. For example my mild seasonal hay fever was mentioned, but the condition which led to having an SI for several years was not.
...and that reflects that the condition for which the special was issued, "is no more".

Box 18x remains positive for every subsequent application. Save the eligibility letter and present it to every subsequent AME for a smooth issuance. DO NOT LOSE THE LETTER.

Yea the letter did state that and also what to include in the explanation box “previously reported, no change in status; reference PI#”

Yes, but it is also the one for which a recurrence would be the most serious.
yes, but it had not recurred at the then current time. The letter goes on to warn that for the condition, ruled eligible, should it recur you were to inform the agency immediately and self ground, essentially.

What makes the letters awkward is that the regulatory power contains the near future(!)

yes, but it had not recurred at the then current time. The letter goes on to warn that for the condition, ruled eligible, should it recur you were to inform the agency immediately and self ground, essentially.

What makes the letters awkward is that the regulatory power contains the near future(!)
I think you misunderstood. The most serious condition was not mentioned at all in the letter. So it was not warning me about anything concerning it. That's what I found weird abd a bit funny about it.

And there is not one word in the letter obligating me to report anything to the agency until my next Part 67 application, nor anything else I am aware of obligating me to (if I'm wrong about that, I'd really like a reference). Self-ground under 61.53(a), yes, of course. That's true even without the letter. But nothing about having to report anything about "new symptoms or adverse changes" in my mild seasonal hay fever or if I suddenly have bad side effects from Claritin.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back