Question about downed 1976 Piper Piper PA-31T Rivets

Amanda Hensley

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Brooke Mitchum
Good morning, I am trying to find out if a 1976 Piper Piper PA-31T would have rivets on it with the letter "B" stamped on them. I don't really know how to find this out so I am posting in forums in hopes someone will have an answer. There was a crash October 25 2018 off the coast of Charleston SC, tail number N555PM and about a year go, someone found debris which could be related to the crash. It appears to be an aircraft of the same color but it is a rather small piece. I have attached a photo. For scale purposes, the piece is about the length of your hand. My dad was one of the passengers on the plane, nothing was ever recovered.

Attachments

• plane.jpg
    plane.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Good morning, I am trying to find out if a 1976 Piper Piper PA-31T would have rivets on it with the letter "b" stamped on them. I don't really know how to find this out so I am posting in forums in hopes someone will have an answer. There was a crash October 25 2018 off the coast of Charleston SC, tail number N555PM and about a year go, someone found debris which could be related to the crash. It appears to be an aircraft of the same color but it is a rather small piece. I have attached a photo. For scale purposes, the piece is about the length of your hand. My dad was one of the passengers on the plane, nothing was ever recovered.

Hard to tell with the small picture, but these look like Cherrymax rivets that could be in any plane. They are commonly used in the field for repairs.

I am trying to find out if a 1976 Piper Piper PA-31T would have rivets on it with the letter "b" stamped on them.
FYI: I'm not familiar of any aircraft rivets that would have a "B" stamped on them. Most rivets have symbols marked into them on the rivet head to identify them by type and material. There are "B" rivets used on aircraft but they are marked with a raised-raised cross. Below is a link that shows various rivet markings.
Rivet Markings Google

Are you sure on the colors?

A/C photographed in 2010 with this paint.
https://www.aircraft.com/aircraft/1375843/n555pm-1976-piper-cheyenne-ii

Has some red on it in 2004 photos.
https://www.airliners.net/photo/Untitled/Piper-PA-31T-620-Cheyenne/499298

Either way I think the easiest thing to do would be find one of these and compare those skin seams to any exterior skin seam on a PA 31.

edit, I am also unaware of any rivet that would have a B stamp. Im guessing those rivets are stainless steel given that there is a legible B. Also un-corroded material on one side makes me think the whole part may be SS.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone
Attached is a photo of the plane and its paint at time of the crash.

Attachments

• N555PM (1).jpg
    N555PM (1).jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 79
Thank you everyone.

Attached is a photo of the plane and its paint at time of the crash.

Amanda, I remember your posts from 2018 when the accident occurred. I'm sorry you are still looking for answers.

While several years have already gone by, I hope the passage of time will further allow your grief and sorrow to lessen, and the memories of your dad will be of the good times you had together.

I still miss my mom terribly after ten years.

Hard to tell. The red paint seems a brighter shade than what’s in the picture, but who knows what could happen after 15-20 years of salt water. Plus, I’m struggling to see where the red corner might have come from. Seems like too much paint for the N numbers

you are aware there are aluminum riveted boats as well, right? They’re not commonly used in the ocean, but they exist.

Looking at the picture on a larger screen than I did the first time, those are not CherryMax rivets. They may be Hi-Lok fasteners, which Piper has been known to use and are available for use in post-production maintenance.

2022-2018=15-20
:)

Probably not - I mixed up the 2004 date with the crash. I don't know how one could authenticate this piece as being from a particular airplane without additional markings.

Back