Quality of life question

Money isn’t everything so long as you can maintain a suitable lifestyle. I could move somewhere else and easily make double what I make. However my wife’s family is close by, we love our community, and have a lot of friends and connections here. Therefore, we stay here and live comfortably within our means. You can move a lot of times chasing money, but the grass isn’t always greener.

Retired military. Moved two kids during elementary, middle, and high school for each. No choice in relocations until I retired.

It comes down to what’s important to you and your family. Our considerations were Location, Pay, Company.

We decided location was most important to us and moved back to my home state, about 2 hrs from our daughter and my extended family.

I only applied for roles at companies that shared my values and only for roles that paid what my market worth was in that area.

I accepted a position that met or exceeded all those criteria.

You and your family are going to have to figure out what’s important to y’all.

An hour's not a long commute, IMO.

57 minutes longer than mine has been for the past 21 years. Which equates to

57mins x 2times a day x 240 times a year x 21 years =
574,560 minutes or
9,576 hours or
399 days or
57 weeks
of your life you wasted. Oh and you got to pay for it too.

57 minutes longer than mine has been for the past 21 years. Which equates to

57mins x 2times a day x 240 times a year x 21 years =
574,560 minutes or
9,576 hours or
399 days or
57 weeks
of your life you wasted. Oh and you got to pay for it too.

online+bookkeeping

4 seems to be optimal choice for me, assuming it’s a good place to live. I just couldnt handle a very small nothing town, no matter what the cost of living savings are. Relocating is fine at the kids age, and also easy for parents to integrate into community due to hobbies, jobs, and kids school and activities.

Fresh starts can get the juices going.

FWIW, I didn’t meet my childhood best friends until 7-9th grade, and each of them happened after switching schools.

The real problem is that life dynamics come down to more than just bullet points, there's a lot of "softer side" bits that you can't really put into bullet points.

One thing that came to mind is the difference between friends and people who've become your chosen family. I've left both. The 2nd one is really hard to do, but despite that, I would make the same decisions again. But, that's me, and as my kids get older that would be harder.

@Ozone - why are you having to deal with #1. Why the pay cut.

Also, I live in MN - do you live in the Twin Cities area or more outstate?

The west metro area (Plymouth, Maple Grove, Golden Valley, Minnetonka, Wayzata, Eden Prairie, Chanhassen, Orono) all might have higher costs of living but tend to have fantastic schools and pay that seems to match the cost of living. We actually live in smaller outlying suburb and open enroll in Minnetonka. So we have a nice big yard, 25min commute, its quiet at night and can actually see the stars. We're only 20min from our airplane. And the house was about $150K cheaper than in town. Call it a compromise. Our house will be paid off before our daughter graduates HS and well before we retire.

Or maybe you live in our same neighborhood and hate it LOL :)

Money isn’t everything so long as you can maintain a suitable lifestyle. I could move somewhere else and easily make double what I make. However my wife’s family is close by, we love our community, and have a lot of friends and connections here. Therefore, we stay here and live comfortably within our means. You can move a lot of times chasing money, but the grass isn’t always greener.

Same here, I could easily double my pay moving to a hotbed area for my skillset, but that would come with a 50% increase in cost of living, so call it a 50% increase. That said, we love where we live, like the community, live comfortably, and want to retire in the house and community we're in now. So, we're staying.

Since I’m retired and live in two different states,all I worry about is the cost of living,in my choices. You have to do what makes you comfortable.

You and your family are going to have to figure out what’s important to y’all.
This, because other people may have completely different priorities and tastes than you do. On the other hand, people may have brought up items you hadn't considered. Still, I have found that other people often don't understand why I decide to do the things I do, and that's perfectly fine with me. In deciding between locations, there are going to be plusses and minuses to both.

This, because other people may have completely different priorities and tastes than you do. On the other hand, people may have brought up items you hadn't considered. Still, I have found that other people often don't understand why I decide to do the things I do, and that's perfectly fine with me.

No kidding. People keep on saying I'm putting the cart before the horse. I should probably change my avatar to reflect that this is just how I roll, and always have.

1*j-o_xZcmtEBmydGZEICnSA.jpeg

Everyone's different and ultimately nobody has all the information you have. They might have different information, but that needs to get taken with a grain of salt, as with everything.

Everyone's different and ultimately nobody has all the information you have. They might have different information, but that needs to get taken with a grain of salt, as with everything.

Everybody has a different take on life. As much as I know this, I was really surprised to see the difference in a recent conversation. Some co-workers and I were discussing one of the recent large lottery jackpots and what we would do if we won $### million. It was interesting the different directions we each took. One co-worker instantly talked about moving to a different state. My wife and I are so happy where we are, that thought honestly never crossed our mind. We may buy or build a different home, maybe even get a second vacation home in one of our vacation spots, but we never even contemplated leaving town. Some may see that as being shortsighted, but we are just content where we are.

Of course a TBM-930 wouldn't hurt either.

An hour's not a long commute, IMO.

Depends on what you're used to. I wouldn't do it, personally, unless the pay was extraordinary along with other perks. My commute has always been less than 30 minutes, the past 10 years has been under 20 minutes. I do not want to spend an extra hour or more each day simply getting to/from work unless my work hours are reduced to compensate. People who are used to spending an hour on a train/mass transit/sitting in D.C. traffic each day may feel otherwise.

I currently live in MN. I am an outpatient-only spine medicine and sports medicine doctor. I manage people with joint and spine problems, do some injections and coordinate care with other health practitioners like physical therapists, chiropractors, massage therapists, etc. It's a good job and a good life.
I had a strong feeling from your OP that you were a doctor :)

Everybody has a different take on life. As much as I know this, I was really surprised to see the difference in a recent conversation. Some co-workers and I were discussing one of the recent large lottery jackpots and what we would do if we won $### million. It was interesting the different directions we each took. One co-worker instantly talked about moving to a different state. My wife and I are so happy where we are, that thought honestly never crossed our mind. We may buy or build a different home, maybe even get a second vacation home in one of our vacation spots, but we never even contemplated leaving town. Some may see that as being shortsighted, but we are just content where we are.

Of course a TBM-930 wouldn't hurt either.

I think a lot of it depends on whether they like where they live or they just live there because of the job. In our case we moved here because of the job, but really love it. If we won the lottery, I wouldn't see us moving. What I would see happening is getting a lot of work done faster than we otherwise would - things like building the hangar, some additions and remodels on the house, etc. I could also see us buying a vacation home somewhere and doing more travel, but ultimately keep our base what it is. I know some people who would absolutely move to a different state.

I think a lot of it depends on whether they like where they live or they just live there because of the job. In our case we moved here because of the job, but really love it. If we won the lottery, I wouldn't see us moving. What I would see happening is getting a lot of work done faster than we otherwise would - things like building the hangar, some additions and remodels on the house, etc. I could also see us buying a vacation home somewhere and doing more travel, but ultimately keep our base what it is. I know some people who would absolutely move to a different state.
If you win try to keep it a secret as much as possible, otherwise you might have some "friends" from POA showing up at your door :D

If you win try to keep it a secret as much as possible, otherwise you might have some "friends" from POA showing up at your door :D

Seeing as we don't buy lottery tickets, our probability of winning is 0.

As opposed to if we buy lottery tickets, our probability of winning would be very close to 0. ;)

Ted will be easy to spot when he starts commuting to work in a Jetranger.

Pfft. MD500.

Interestingly, one thing we've agreed on is that if we won the lottery, we'd plan to continue working. We'd just work to arrange things so we didn't work as much for the day job.

If I won the lottery I'd buy a new plane and then look down at everyone else that has a plane older than I do. And also make sure to brag post about how how awesome it is so I can reinforce the point that I have more money than the other people on here.

If I won a big enough lottery, I'd see about buying an island somewhere and see about making it my own country. Then I'd set it up so you could register your planes there, convert your certificate to match the country of registration and all your ADS-B information will display as **** The FAA, LLC. I would be more lenient on trade names than the US is. Registration prefix would be FU-

If I won the lottery I'd buy a new plane and then look down at everyone else that has a plane older than I do. And also make sure to brag post about how how awesome it is so I can reinforce the point that I have more money than the other people on here.

If I won a big enough lottery, I'd see about buying an island somewhere and see about making it my own country. Then I'd set it up so you could register your planes there, convert your certificate to match the country of registration and all your ADS-B information will display as **** The FAA, LLC. I would be more lenient on trade names than the US is.
And I assume there would be no yearly taxes on the planes right? ;)

And I assume there would be no yearly taxes on the planes right? ;)

Nope. Just a initial set up fee for processing the paperwork - maybe like $50 or so. Any property tax bills from the city/county/state, landing fees by municipalities, etc... that get mailed to me by get put into a shredder. Hangar it wherever you want without getting hit with a property tax bill.

Agreed, but we chose #6 and being near family, living next to a grass runway, and it allowed us to buy an airplane. The other choices weren’t really available regarding commutes/cost of living comparisons to get the family and aviation stuff included.

<snip and edit> …I have no passion for it. I'm just punching a clock. I do my job well. Most of all, I'd rather be doing something else.

Sounds like you have a job. Welcome to work. If those things were different they’d be called a hobby, or “Good times,” or happy hour, or ....

I just remember being taken aback by my co-workers comments. Not so much that they wanted to leave the area, but by the fact the thought never even occurred to me. I think it was then I realized how much I do like where I am.

Reactions: Ted
I just remember being taken aback by my co-workers comments. Not so much that they wanted to leave the area, but by the fact the thought never even occurred to me. I think it was then I realized how much I do like where I am.

My problem is I love the woods, the mountains, the ocean, and the desert. Only have 1 of those here. So I'm gonna need 4 places if I win the lotto.

I commute about 47 miles one way to work. Some nights it's 35 minutes, others have been as much as 2 hours due to construction, trains and wrecks. Coming home it's almost always an hour. I work overnights and took that shift for a couple of reasons..

1. My mental health, I cannot stand dealing with much of our management and the stupidity level they have. The frustration with them vacillating on decisions, or simply
putting them off, makes me nuts. We find problems that often easy fixes now, but they wait til things crap out hard before fixing them and then getting all worked up over why we have the problem.

2. The wife's disability. She has enough problems, that she barely drives anymore. If it's not a local area that she is reasonably familiar with, she gets lost easily and begins to panic. She missed a turn going to the Dr.'s office one morning and drove nearly 300 miles in circles trying to figure out how to get back home.

3. I'm the backup caregiver for my elderly dad. He's declining pretty rapidly now, and my little sister, who is the primary, is probably going to be bringing in my help as things progress.

4. I work shorter hours... On 3rds, we are scheduled for 6.5 hours, but are paid for 8 as bonus for the weird hours. I get home in the mornings and put in another 5 hours or so on household or shop stuff.

We could move closer to work, but that would entail much bigger expenses, including nearly tripling our property taxes as well as putting my wife in a much more debilitating area to live. The closer I am to where I work, the decrease in average air quality. In our case, a move further out is planned as soon as we can get one of homes sold and the other ready for the market.
The distance is a bit of a problem for the wife's Dr. visits, but as she rarely can drive into the area of the office, due to traffic and construction, it's only a problem on the one day a month she has to go.

As to the kids, they are flexible and will go with the flow. My oldest moved 4 times between nursery school and 5th grade. The youngest will be changing schools at the end of this next school year anyway.

Even though we live in a small town now, it is getting crowded, They just started a huge development that will take up all buildable space between us and the city limits in two direction. That one development will be almost double the number of homes in town now. We will be going from less than 1800 homes to over 4000 by the end of next year. With that coming, traffic and simply being overwhelmed with people is on the near horizon. Couple that with the fact that every home that has been platted for construction, until the city is built out, will be more than 2.5 times what we paid for our home 8 years ago. We are already getting unsolicited offers on our house for almost double what we paid for it, and it need some upgrades before it's even ready for market.

My suggestion is to lay out the pluses and minuses of each option, rank each plus and minus for each possibility, and then actually go visit the other locations and see what they feel like before you make a decision. You and the wife have to both be in agreement on which way to go on this, or there will be a wedge between you forever on

My problem is I love the woods, the mountains, the ocean, and the desert. Only have 1 of those here. So I'm gonna need 4 places if I win the lotto.

I’m the same way (although I don’t need the desert). It’s an issue that’s going to cost me a crap ton of money! :)

Back