Q codes

Dexter72

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Dexter72
During my ground school exam studies, the first Q-codes that I had to remember were QFE and QNH.

At the time, I had no idea what they represented or stood for and was trying to figure out a way of remembering what each one meant.

I've since learnt that the code has no relation to the meaning ... which is helpful (correct me if I'm wrong?)

Anyway, I went with:

- QFE = (height above) Field Elevation
- QNH = Nautical Height (i.e. above sea level)

That's become a bit unstuck now that I'm doing the Communications exam and suddenly presented with QTE, QDM and QDR as I can't think of anything useful to remember them by.

I wondered how you folks remembered them during your studies?

There's also QNE, which is the standard altimeter setting (29.92 or 1013mb). The good news is you don't have to waste the time remembering which is which as you'll never use that info outside of a trivia contest. Unless you're flying in the UK where they use QFE instead of QNH.

But I didn't answer your question since I don't have a good response. So I substituted an easier question.

Your memory cue sounds pretty good for those two. What test are you taking that requires you to memorize all those? Or were they just mentioned in passing in some academics?

Sorry I can't be helpful on this either.

But I am curious. Where are you studying? I literally never came across any of them during my pilot and instructor certification studies. I've learned what QFE, QNH, and QNE are from casual contact but have no idea what those others are.

Wow! I couldn't resist looking them up.

Unlike the others, QTE, QDM and QDR are lateral navigation terms indicating, not altitude, but direction relative to a fix.

QDM and QDR are magnetic "D"irections(?), with QDR being magnetic bearing from a station, like a VOR "R"adial(?).

I guess the T in QTE could be a clue to it being a true rather than magnetic direction, but I can even come up with a bad clue to its "from" orientation as opposed to QUJ's true bearing to.

Now I have a headache

Do you study at your QTH? :)

Most kids nowadays have no effin' clue what Q-codes are. Heck, those poor clueless schmucks have no idea what Morse code is.
When I fly with pilots who have to look at a sectional at the "squiggles" next to a VOR to identify it audibly, I laugh.
I hear "dit dah dah dah, dit dit dah dit, dah dit dah" and I know I'm tuned into the JFK VOR. *shrug*

I guess I am old.
Now GET OFF MAH LAWN!! :D

New pilot, just passed beginning of year. I've never heard of anything called "Q Codes". Nothing on written, oral, or at any time during instruction. I've also never heard of a communications exam. Who was asking you for Q codes? Is this for a Commercial or ATP rating?

And isn't - QFE = (height above) Field Elevation just AGL, and QNH = Nautical Height just MSL?

New pilot, just passed beginning of year. I've never heard of anything called "Q Codes". Nothing on written, oral, or at any time during instruction. I've also never heard of a communications exam. Who was asking you for Q codes? Is this for a Commercial or ATP rating?

And isn't - QFE = (height above) Field Elevation just AGL, and QNH = Nautical Height just MSL?
Yes. It's the altimeter setting that results in the altimeter showing those numbers. If I'm remembering correctly, arriving at an airport in the UK, they give you QFE so your altimeter reads pattern altitude as AGL. ,

Back