Psychology

There is the genetic component, which is interesting, surrounded by PC denialists, confounded by overhyped negligible discoveries. The truth is in the popular stereotypes, you just aren't supposed to notice and certainly aren't allowed to prove it.

There is the genetic component, which is interesting, surrounded by PC denialists, confounded by overhyped negligible discoveries. The truth is in the popular stereotypes, you just aren't supposed to notice and certainly aren't allowed to prove it.

There is no truth only perception. Nature or Nurture?

To the schizophrenic showing positive symptoms in the form of hallucinations, the elephant they see is their truth. Their perception is their truth. As so with you.
First semester at community college?

There is no truth only perception. Nature or Nurture?

Both. Nearly everything we learn and develop into is both nature and nurture.

"There is no truth, only perception," not quite correct. What we can perceive and prove as truth is generally truth, however it is typically incomplete truth because of the influences of what we cannot perceive. So much of our truth is a limited truth based on our perceptions.

Both. Nearly everything we learn and develop into is both nature and nurture.

"There is no truth, only perception," not quite correct. What we can perceive and prove as truth is generally truth, however it is typically incomplete truth because of the influences of what we cannot perceive. So much of our truth is a limited truth based on our perceptions.

Well said

I practice what I call "bartender psychology".

You observe people and their problems long enough, you start to see the patterns and how they repeat. The scenario playing out is usually obvious and predictable to everyone but the parties actually involved. You can then sometimes get through to a person about what scenario they are in and sometimes they believe it and figure things out.

It's also been my observation that depression often has as much to do with someone not liking their life situation and being stuck in it than pre-disposition to the problem. It's a much more difficult thing to fix your life than get a pill prescribed but it's a much better thing in the long term.

There are also a lot of people running around who really really ought to be on medication but aren't....

Attachments

• burns.png
    burns.png
    926.8 KB · Views: 9
I practice what I call "bartender psychology".

You observe people and their problems long enough, you start to see the patterns and how they repeat. The scenario playing out is usually obvious and predictable to everyone but the parties actually involved. You can then sometimes get through to a person about what scenario they are in and sometimes they believe it and figure things out.

It's also been my observation that depression often has as much to do with someone not liking their life situation and being stuck in it than pre-disposition to the problem. It's a much more difficult thing to fix your life than get a pill prescribed but it's a much better thing in the long term.

There are also a lot of people running around who really really ought to be on medication but aren't....

Yep, and it's often debt related, and our system makes getting out of debt nearly impossible, especially if one has children.

Yep, and it's often debt related, and our system makes getting out of debt nearly impossible, especially if one has children.

Moved to new thread........

Last edited:
Personal debt is a choice.

To an extent that's true. There are some pretty predatory organizations out there though.

But perhaps that's another discussion that should go into another thread instead of derailing this topic.

Last edited:
Oooh, now here's a topic I like! :yes:

I know quite a bit -this is the field I've gone into (M.A. in counseling psych) -but there is so much I don't. I feel like the field is so broad that there's always so much more to learn.

I'm very interested in mental health, in reducing the stigma of mental illness so that people feel comfortable seeking treatment. I am fascinated in the resiliency of children after spending years doing play therapy with foster kids. I love working with people as they overcome difficulties -be it the death of a loved one, abuse, their own bad choices, you name it. Moving from merely surviving to thriving is incredible to watch and to know I've played a small part in it. So I guess my main interests in psychology still lean on the counseling and relational end.

As for what to explore, I am looking for a more holistic approach to treatment. think meds are vital for some people/types of diagnoses, but there are many ways to treat depression, anxiety, and other issues (counseling, meds, exercise, cognitive-behavioral techniques, light treatment, etc.). I've not seen success in a OSFA approach; I prefer being open to what works best for the individual.

I've had a couple undergraduate elective courses in it but it never interested me that much and I don't proclaimed proficiency, much less expertise in the subject.

Except that the field of subliminal advertising has always interested me and I even had an art prof in college that did that for a living as a commercial artist. I know a fair amount about that.

What do you know? Almost nothing...street knowledge only

What areas interest you? How/why humans make choices knowingly detrimental to themselves and so much around them. I am guilty of this behavior...

What would you explore? I like to solve problems through thought processes before I put them into the physical...I would like to get better at this...I do as I age but I fear this is from plain old learning from my mistakes...

Oooh, now here's a topic I like! :yes:

I know quite a bit -this is the field I've gone into (M.A. in counseling psych) -but there is so much I don't. I feel like the field is so broad that there's always so much more to learn.

I'm very interested in mental health, in reducing the stigma of mental illness so that people feel comfortable seeking treatment. I am fascinated in the resiliency of children after spending years doing play therapy with foster kids. I love working with people as they overcome difficulties -be it the death of a loved one, abuse, their own bad choices, you name it. Moving from merely surviving to thriving is incredible to watch and to know I've played a small part in it. So I guess my main interests in psychology still lean on the counseling and relational end.

As for what to explore, I am looking for a more holistic approach to treatment. think meds are vital for some people/types of diagnoses, but there are many ways to treat depression, anxiety, and other issues (counseling, meds, exercise, cognitive-behavioral techniques, light treatment, etc.). I've not seen success in a OSFA approach; I prefer being open to what works best for the individual.

My dad who was a research/clinical psychiatrist his whole career got further and further from the drug therapies as time went on. People need help in learning to control their minds, and that's a matter of educating them, not medicating them.

What do you know? Almost nothing...street knowledge only

What areas interest you? How/why humans make choices knowingly detrimental to themselves and so much around them. I am guilty of this behavior...

What would you explore? I like to solve problems through thought processes before I put them into the physical...I would like to get better at this...I do as I age but I fear this is from plain old learning from my mistakes...

Lack of good guidance and leadership based in a lack of faith in their own conscience. 80% of people are followers, our cultural idols, our leadership, is based on personal wealth. Our culture tells them it's correct to be selfish or even criminally destructive because selfish and criminals get rich. We get the society we create.

Every psych major I ever know went into the field to cure their own demons. Most of the stuff is crap. Obvious insights passed off as science. Half of a 20 yr. old psychology textbook is no longer considered relevant by the psych community. I wouldn't care but people in authority know even less and make life altering decisions for other people.

Every psych major I ever know went into the field to cure their own demons. Most of the stuff is crap. Obvious insights passed off as science. Half of a 20 yr. old psychology textbook is no longer considered relevant by the psych community. I wouldn't care but people in authority know even less and make life altering decisions for other people.

Yep, mental illness is as taboo today as ever, we don't want to deal with it.

Yep, mental illness is as taboo today as ever, we don't want to deal with it.
Not taboo for me. Most effective treatment for mental illness is chemical, not counseling. Calling test results with a correlation coefficient of 0.55 a success is not science. Call it what ever but it is not science.

Not taboo for me. Most effective treatment for mental illness is chemical, not counseling. Calling test results with a correlation coefficient of 0.55 a success is not science. Call it what ever but it is not science.

You can't lump all of what we consider mental illness into one treatment paradigm.

Instituitionalization is 100% effective, for everyone on the outside.:nono:
Bit of a moral problem tossing all in the bin tho...

Why not? If all mental illness is not a result of chemical issues in the brain, what other cause? Viruses? demons? There has to be a cause. You see I am treating it as a disease. All disease of our chemical bodies is fundementally chemical in origin.

Last edited:
Why not? If all mental illness is not a result of chemical issues in the brain, what other cause? Viruses? demons? There has to be a cause.

There doesn't have to be A cause, there are multiple causes just as there are multiple different issues. Define 'demons'....

Why not? If all mental illness is not a result of chemical issues in the brain, what other cause? Viruses? demons? There has to be a cause.
Bad genetics, viruses, bacteria, bad decision making, perhaps a bit of crap life situation. Probably the first one mixed with one or more of the others. Locking people up works for society but who decides? What is the threshold? Who pays for it all?

Instituitionalization is 100% effective, for everyone on the outside.:nono:
Bit of a moral problem tossing all in the bin tho...

De-institutionalization can be an issue also. There are many severely disabled mentally ill who are part of the homeless population.

De-institutionalization can be an issue also. There are many severely disabled mentally ill who are part of the homeless population.

Oh, that is what brought homelessness in America to the forefront. Under Reagan all the neglect of investment in the system came to a head and we were keeping the mentally ill in inhumane conditions. When confronted with this, rather than invest in the system, we did the opposite and closed all the facilities that weren't up to spec. And tossed the inhabitants onto the street.

I enjoyed my Psych 101 class a couple semesters ago. I liked to apply it to myself, analyze myself, metacognition.

I signed up for a psychology course in college and dropped it almost immediately. I thought it was psychobabble passed off as a science. I cringe every time I do the ADM units for recurrent. It seems that they try to force common sense into some kind of formula. I'm not talking about the study of mental illness, though. I think that really is a science.

Self awareness leads to self management leads to social awareness leads to relationship maintenance

Back