PSA Fleet Grounded

800px-Pacific_Southwest_Airlines_L-1011_N1079.jpg

:)

I miss the old PSA airline. Air Cal too. Awesome regional west coast carriers. Not the same service ever since after acquisition.

670.jpg

I'm guessing 737-200. Boy those engine nacelle inlets look tiny...
Yeah, but look how loooong they are.

Nauga,
who missed the turn for the bypass

I'm guessing 737-200. Boy those engine nacelle inlets look tiny...
On the 737-100 and 737-200 had those P&W JT8D engines. Starting with the 737-300, The Classics, they had the much larger diameter CFM engines. Very few 737-100s were built so that's likely a 737-200.

The PSA in question, however, is a wholly-owned AAL regional affiliate which operates CRJ-700 and CRJ-900 aircraft. Likely a clerical error which resulted in a required inspection not being performed on the fleet, or not being performed properly. When discovered, the airline would self-disclose to the FAA and a plan would be developed to return to compliance. In this case, it appears that the plan was to ground the affected airplanes--most of them--until a relatively short inspection was accomplished.

Nauga,

Ah yes, the good old days! When underwing engines were under the wing, instead of out in front. ;)
724max8no3.jpg

Ah yes, the good old days! When underwing engines were under the wing, instead of out in front.
Ah, Edwards. I miss my pet scorpion.

Nauga,
arid

The PSA in question, however, is a wholly-owned AAL regional affiliate which operates CRJ-700 and CRJ-900 aircraft. Likely a clerical error which resulted in a required inspection not being performed on the fleet, or not being performed properly. When discovered, the airline would self-disclose to the FAA and a plan would be developed to return to compliance. In this case, it appears that the plan was to ground the affected airplanes--most of them--until a relatively short inspection was accomplished.
Moral of the story... There's gonna be at least one job opening at DAY soon (their HQ)

Nauga,

Sometime around 1988 my company received a contract to do work at the Aviall facility at Love Field. I built a lab facility within the existing building, which involved building walls to the deck and sealing the perimeter because we also provided a Halon 1301 gaseous fire protection system. It was right before the Montreal Protocol went into effect.

Anyway, I digress. I really enjoyed working in the facility, because its main function was overhauling JT8D engines. It had a production line arrangement, and the pace was pretty rapid. I didn't know much about turbine engines at the time, and I was fascinated by all of the action going on, particularly the parts control procedures. My Aviall liason was a nice guy, and he took the time to show me around the facility and explain the internal functions of the engine.

It was really sad that PSA took the double hit of the Flight 182 San Diego midair collision and crash plus the horrible inflight murders that caused the destruction of Flight 1771.

By all accounts, the airline's employees were dedicated and customer oriented, but when it was absorbed by US Air and eventually shut down, that withered away.

Moral of the story... There's gonna be at least one job opening at DAY soon (their HQ)
Not necessarily. It depends on the details of the error(s) that led to the problem.

If you fire people who make honest mistakes you are motivating them to cover up their mistakes. Modern safety systems at US airlines seek to do the opposite. They encourage people to report their mistakes so that threats can be identified and corrected before they lead errors.

Someone will be fired if they were negligent or attempted to cover up the problem. Short of that, the data gathered will be used to improve the process, fix loopholes that allowed the mistake(s) to go undetected, and to train employees on the process, how it failed, and how to prevent similar failures in the future.

It was really sad that PSA took the double hit of the Flight 182 San Diego midair collision and crash plus the horrible inflight murders that caused the destruction of Flight 1771.

By all accounts, the airline's employees were dedicated and customer oriented, but when it was absorbed by US Air and eventually shut down, that withered away.
Different airline, of course. Same name but different. AAL had the name "PSA" and assigned it to what was previously Jetstream International Airlines to keep the name alive.

Different airline, of course. Same name but different. AAL had the name "PSA" and assigned it to what was previously Jetstream International Airlines to keep the name alive.

Yeah, I should have mentioned that.

Not necessarily. It depends on the details of the error(s) that led to the problem.

If you fire people who make honest mistakes you are motivating them to cover up their mistakes. Modern safety systems at US airlines seek to do the opposite. They encourage people to report their mistakes so that threats can be identified and corrected before they lead errors.

Someone will be fired if they were negligent or attempted to cover up the problem. Short of that, the data gathered will be used to improve the process, fix loopholes that allowed the mistake(s) to go undetected, and to train employees on the process, how it failed, and how to prevent similar failures in the future.

these mistakes were made because PSA outsourced Mx and you get what you pay for.

Next door neighbor just left there to fly cargo. So I should have inserted the word “allegedly”

My Alma Mater. ‘87 to ‘89
"Flaps up, flow on"

I flew the J32 at Flagship '91-'96. Then the CRJ at PSA for seven months after a few furloughs and just prior to joining our current employer.

these mistakes were made because PSA outsourced Mx and you get what you pay for.
You may know more about it then I do. I don't have any of the details on this current situation. I was commenting on the generally process.

"Flaps up, flow on"

I flew the J32 at Flagship '91-'96. Then the CRJ at PSA for seven months after a few furloughs and just prior to joining our current employer.

You may know more about it then I do. I don't have any of the details on this current situation. I was commenting on the generally process.

I really don’t but if you have any specific questions I can ask my buddy and get back to you.

“I’d like to phone a friend, Bob.”

They were just building an additional mx hangar at DAY not too long ago FWIW

PSA (Poor Sailors Airline, as it was known when I worked for the Navy in the late 1970s) was a popular airline on the west coast. Flight 182 hit entirely too close to home when we had two people from our command get off it at its previous stop and my best friend was scheduled to take it to San Diego that day, but canceled as he wasn't feeling well that day. And I remember 1771, as well. Rotten things to happen to an otherwise good airline.

Back