Propofol

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propofol

Tonight I find a friend in the hospital that had this administered, resulting a heart Atrib episode, now he will be on heart meds for the rest of his life simply because the Quack had no idea.

no more medical ever.

Prayers for Brian 23

Tom-D.

Propofol is a great drug used in operating rooms and icu every day in every hospital in the USA. The percentage of people who have cardiac arrhythmia and propofol is very small.

I suspect many have underlying cardiac disease

All drugs given have a risk benefit ratio. Sorry to hear about your friend, but propofol is a very useful drug

Tonight I find a friend in the hospital that had this administered, resulting a heart Atrib episode, now he will be on heart meds for the rest of his life simply because the Quack had no idea.

no more medical ever.

Prayers for Brian 23

Sorry to hear about your friend, but blaming all of medicine or advising others to avoid medical care is pretty silly Tom.

I'll take my chances with the medical profession. :rolleyes:

no more medical ever.

Prayers for Brian 23
Tom

I use Propofol on a daily basis. I am not sure what a "heart atrib episode" is.

Something I have noticed over the years is often folks have heart disease they do not know about. Sometimes, only after being placed on a EKG heart monitor for a while that disease is noticed. Perhaps the "Quack" in question did a poor "pre-purchase" inspection and did not notice the issues until the ferry flight home or first annual. Can those issue then be blamed on the ferry pilot?

Feel free to PM me and I will do my best to answer any questions you may have in as earnest manner as I am capable to the best of my knowledge.

Sorry to hear about your friend, but blaming all of medicine or advising others to avoid medical care is pretty silly Tom.

I'll take my chances with the medical profession. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure he was referring to his friend's ability to hold a class III

no more medical ever.

Prayers for Brian 23

My wife is in school to become a pharmacist and after talking to her and a few other people I know in the medical profession you kinda realize how much regular doctors don't know about the drugs they prescribe. Not saying that would have changed what happened with your friend sometimes nobody can predict what will happen, but I'm going to go on this quick rant anyway.

From what she told me doctors for the most part are required to take one or two semesters on pharmaceuticals, and that's it. Compare that to your average pharmacist where that's all they do for 4+ years (pharmacists are required to have a doctorate now). Yet my wife has told me of patients/customers (she worked as an intern with CVS for several years) who absolutely refuse to listen to the pharmacist when they make a recommendation.

Apparently just in the last 5-10 years pharmacists have started taking on a clinical role; going on rounds with regular doctors in hospitals to make recommendations on what drugs the patient should be on, making sure there's nothing that's going to cause complications, etc.

TL;DR - If your pharmacist has a recommendation for you, listen to what they're saying. Drugs and their effects are basically the only thing they studied for 4+ years. And they keep up with developments in the industry beyond what the pharmaceutical companies tell them at fancy dinners. Your doctor meets with drug reps and does his best, but he's got a lot of other stuff to focus on.

That makes more sense. I took it the same way the others did.

That does make more sense.

I have met commercial pilots still flying after having heart attacks. I would think one event due to surjury is not a medical killer. It just depends on how hard you want to fight it. He can always go LSA.

TL;DR - If your pharmacist has a recommendation for you, listen to what they're saying. Drugs and their effects are basically the only thing they studied for 4+ years. And they keep up with developments in the industry beyond what the pharmaceutical companies tell them at fancy dinners. Your doctor meets with drug reps and does his best, but he's got a lot of other stuff to focus on.

That may well be true in general. However, from my understanding (not in a medical field), Propofol would not be administered by a GP, but generally under the supervision of an anesthetist. I would bet that those docs have a very good understanding of the drugs that they administer, I would dare say that they would have more indepth knowledge of them than just about any general pharmacist.

That may well be true in general. However, from my understanding (not in a medical field), Propofol would not be administered by a GP, but generally under the supervision of an anesthetist. I would bet that those docs have a very good understanding of the drugs that they administer, I would dare say that they would have more indepth knowledge of them than just about any general pharmacist.

Fair point, they most likely do know more about those drugs than a pharmacist. :) I didn't look at what the drug was honestly, my mind just started along that track because I had the discussion on what I brought up with someone just the other day.

Unless you are Micheal Jackson.... Then self administered is OK...:yes:.......:(

My wife is in school to become a pharmacist and after talking to her and a few other people I know in the medical profession you kinda realize how much regular doctors don't know about the drugs they prescribe. Not saying that would have changed what happened with your friend sometimes nobody can predict what will happen, but I'm going to go on this quick rant anyway.

From what she told me doctors for the most part are required to take one or two semesters on pharmaceuticals, and that's it. Compare that to your average pharmacist where that's all they do for 4+ years (pharmacists are required to have a doctorate now). Yet my wife has told me of patients/customers (she worked as an intern with CVS for several years) who absolutely refuse to listen to the pharmacist when they make a recommendation.

Apparently just in the last 5-10 years pharmacists have started taking on a clinical role; going on rounds with regular doctors in hospitals to make recommendations on what drugs the patient should be on, making sure there's nothing that's going to cause complications, etc.

It's a little more complicated than that. Pharmacists and physicians have complimentary roles. I (physician) call pharmacists for advice on many issues such as drug interactions but they can't begin to tell me how to treat a specific medical problem. I encourage my patients to listen to pharmacists. Having a PharmD round with hospital teams is a good thing. Students (medical, pharm, nursing) should be careful about making sweeping judgements about various medical professionals until they have enough real world experience.

It's a little more complicated than that. Pharmacists and physicians have complimentary roles. I (physician) call pharmacists for advice on many issues such as drug interactions but they can't begin to tell me how to treat a specific medical problem. I encourage my patients to listen to pharmacists. Having a PharmD round with hospital teams is a good thing. Students (medical, pharm, nursing) should be careful about making sweeping judgements about various medical professionals until they have enough real world experience.

The sweeping statements are more my interpretation of my conversations with her on the topic. Sorry if there was offense there, didn't mean for it to be. Just wanted to point out that pharmacists generally don't make suggestions without a reason (of course, there are going to be exceptions to that rule as well).

They definitely are complimentary roles, I know she wouldn't claim to know half of what a doctor knows. :) But she's also made suggestions to some of the doctors she's worked with during her rotations that they hadn't thought of.

Last edited:

In my experience, medicine is certainly a practice. I been watching a good friend react to just about everything trying to treat Neuromyelitis Optica :sad:

Students, or the general public should fear the medical community...

There were 120,000 deaths last year from medical mistakes, hosptal induced infections etc, etc etc.....

That is 300 times more deaths then from aircraft crashes.....

Safer in a plane, then in a doctors office.... Who would have even guessed...:rolleyes:

Safer in a plane, then in a doctors office.... Who would have even guessed...:rolleyes:

I heard that somehow Omaha was successfully sued when a child was injured by sledding into a tree. :mad2:

Students, or the general public should fear the medical community...

There were 120,000 deaths last year from medical mistakes, hosptal induced infections etc, etc etc.....

:rolleyes:
That number is fabricated and complete nonsense. Trial attorneys and politicians with an agenda are responsible for that number. The good news for people who believe it is real is that no legally competent adult can be forced to submit to medical care. Unfortunately our government will still make you contribute money for healthcare according to the provisions in the ACA.

That number is fabricated and complete nonsense. Trial attorneys and politicians with an agenda are responsible for that number. The good news for people who believe it is real is that no legally competent adult can be forced to submit to medical care. Unfortunately our government will still make you contribute money for healthcare according to the provisions in the ACA.

OK...........:(

I'm not onboard with the anti-medicine vitriol, but that's the second such number you've dismissed with a waive of your hand (the previous being 500,000/yr. in another thread). Its kind of hard to take that sort of argument seriously if it is true that the medical profession keeps a secret database that arguably could give more accurate numbers.

I had an outpatient procedure yesterday. I was sedated with Versed. Lie down, zone out, wake up, walk out all better. What a difference a day makes. Modern medicine has been very good for me! And don't get me started about how much I respect my cardiologist!

no more medical ever.

Prayers for Brian 23
How badly overweight is he? If you don't want to interact with the medical community and have better outcomes if you have to, stay skinny my friends.

I'm not onboard with the anti-medicine vitriol, but that's the second such number you've dismissed with a waive of your hand (the previous being 500,000/yr. in another thread). Its kind of hard to take that sort of argument seriously if it is true that the medical profession keeps a secret database that arguably could give more accurate numbers.
Ive been practicing over 20 years in a variety of settings and can tell you that preventable deaths from incompetence, mistakes, negligence are rare. This number was agenda driven by massaging the data. The problem is that the people who are generating this number have an extremely low threashold for determining causality. For example, if a nurse forgot to administer a dose of a medication and a patient subsequently died (and would have died even if the patient had received the drug) it is considered a death as the result of a medical mistake.

It's the government's database, not the medical profession's.

My closest friends are an RN and a pharmacologist. They're the first call I make when a doctor prescribes something for me. Bonus points - the pharmacologist is also a pilot.

Hey, my sister and her husband are RN and Pharmacist. They're my first call BEFORE I go to a doctor. I pick my doctors very carefully.

Hey, my sister and her husband are RN and Pharmacist. They're my first call BEFORE I go to a doctor. I pick my doctors very carefully.
Why? Are they better diagnosticians? It makes sense to talk to a pharmacist after the doc has prescribed the med(s) to tell you about them.

Not diagnosticians at all, but they know which docs are have better success, happier patients, fewer problems. It's been a good resource for me.

Not diagnosticians at all, but they know which docs are have better success, happier patients, fewer problems. It's been a good resource for me.
I agree that non-physician medical personnel often have valuable inside information on the quality of docs.

Last edited:
It's the government's database, not the medical profession's.

All the more reason it should be open to the public. I'd take the AMA's position on the matter with the same weight of salt as I would the ABA's position on a hypothetical similar database concerning attorney malpractice.

So, the NASA ASRS database should be public, along with everything about who filed the report and such then?

All the more reason it should be open to the public. I'd take the AMA's position on the matter with the same weight of salt as I would the ABA's position on a hypothetical similar database concerning attorney malpractice.
Start with a call to your Congressman/woman and Senator. It seems that people want to hold me accountable.

I agree that ancillary medical personnel often have valuable inside information on the quality of docs.
The nurses in my family would bristle at your use of the word ancillary. It makes me laugh.

The nurses in my family would bristle at your use of the word ancillary. It makes me laugh.

Makes me think of my cousin, who went back to get her PhD in Nursing just so doctors would have to call her Doctor.

I agree that non-physician medical personnel often have valuable inside information on the quality of docs.
That was not my meaning but I still fixed it for ya. The improved version seems a little awkward.

That was not my meaning but I still fixed it for ya. The improved version seems a little awkward.
Aw I was ok with your phrasing. It just reminded me of the struggle between doctors and nurses I hear so much about. I wasn't knocking you.

Connecticut will soon be saying they can. They are currently in battle with a 17 year old woman over her refusal to take chemotherapy. The state says they have the right to force her to accept the therapy. :mad2::mad2::mad2:

Connecticut will soon be saying they can. They are currently in battle with a 17 year old woman over her refusal to take chemotherapy. The state says they have the right to force her to accept the therapy. :mad2::mad2::mad2:
She is not legally an adult. Her mom does not believe in chemotherapy. It would be fine if her mother refused treatment for the same disease but I'm not convinced that the daughter understands the consequences. Contrary to the mother's beliefs she has a near certainty of death without treatment and a good a high chance of cure with treatment. This case raises issues on parental rights as well as informed refusal of medical treatment.

"This is not about death," Fortin says. "My daughter is not going to die. This is about, 'This is my body, my choice, and let me decide.' " But Cassandra's doctors say that without treatment, she will die. They testified in previous hearings that Hodgkin lymphoma, a cancer of the lymph system, is lethal without the recommended treatment. With treatment, she has an 85 percent chance of survival. http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/201...-force-a-teenage-girl-to-undergo-chemotherapy

Back