PropGuard on a new Prop?

I’ve seen it work fairly well in areas with fod. My take is you have to understand that it is sort of “ sacrificial”. If it gets dinged up it’s doing it’s job. However; better to replace tape than props.

The best time to apply is on a new or o/h prop. If you apply over multiple coats of varying paint types you are relying on the adhesion of one coat to another.

The best time to apply is on a new or o/h prop. If you apply over multiple coats of varying paint types you are relying on the adhesion of one coat to another.

Who puts multiple coats of paint on a prop?????

Just getting a 3 blade prop back from overhaul and wondering how well this clear prop boot, PropGuard, works and is the maintenance a PIA?
While I can't give you the pilot side, my first question would always be do you think you need the extra protection? If yes, its a good product but there are alternates as well. If no, I wouldn't install the tape. Regardless, it does need replacement overtime in either case. Just make sure your prop paint is fully cured before installing the tape.

I used it on a Catto prop that lacked leading edge metal to prevent rain erosion on the leading edge. It worked well for that where I could keep it adhered to the prop; it adheres well in straight runs but is difficult to apply if your prop has a curved end. One good flight through rain or even mist ruined the tape necessitating removal and reapplication of the tape.

Now that I have a prop with nickel leading edge protection, I don't bother to use the tape. If you don't have a good reason to use it, I wouldn't bother with it.

What are you trying to protect the propeller from? In my experience, good pilot technique should largely eliminate the need for any additional protection.

I've never used any propeller protection on my personal aircraft, which is operated off dirt, grass, and gravel almost exclusively without any problem. I have serviced some aircraft that have had the guard installed and have seen the same results as others - the guard was consumable and seemed to create more work than benefit for the owners I knew that had it installed.

I've never done a before and after installation propeller balance check but I could potentially see an inconsistent application having some effect, although perhaps not enough to notice.

I've never done a before and after installation propeller balance check
FYI: I have with no difference provided you mirrored the installs on each blade. The tape has its place but only really if trying to save metal damage and not paint damage as you mention.

Trainer aircraft seem to be “ stone magnets “. Techs routinely dress the nicks and
touch up the flat black on the face of the prop during inspections.

The first task eventually leads to the prop being filed away below Minimum Blade Chord at the outboard stations.

When the flat black is touched up via rattle can I doubt if the applicator determines if the underlying paint is lacquer, enamel or rust oleum. Often these different products dont like each other and fail to bond.

USAF featured “ FOD walks “ on at least a weekly basis. Many GA airports allow cars to drive on taxiways. Stones can often transfer via tire treads and eventually find a prop.

Some folks tow their aircraft to the end of the runway. Others are taildraggers. Still others use care and avoid damage. I’ve also seen the look on peoples faces when the prop shop informs them their “ toothpick” is a paperweight!

Your choice. Just remember that just about EVERY 100 hr or Annual results in some 2025 aluminum on the floor and a slight reduced chord and performance.

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful responses. I'm not in a particularly troublesome areas for prop nicks. I'm the only pilot flying the plane and avoid rain other than very light stuff. Sounds like the maintenance is more trouble than it's worth my my particular case. I'm still thinking about it, but less inclined.

I've used it for the last 15 years. I repaired it a couple of times and completely replaced it during an annual about five years ago. When I have my prop overhauled or replaced in a few months, I'm putting it on immediately. It really does keep the leading edge in good shape. Here are a couple of pictures of it installed on my prop.
propgaurd.jpg propgaurd1.jpg

On painted leading edges lon's pics above show it definitely protects. If you are flying in rain and mist the tape gets eroded in one flight which is a hassle to replace. If you stay out of rain and mist it lasts a long long time and the benefits likely outweigh the cost. The benefits also depend greatly on the fragility of your props leading edges; are they metal, composite, etc...

Back