Proper radio call.

Vance Breese

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Vance Breese
I am at the hold short line ready to go and call the tower.

I say ready for departure.

A client says ready for takeoff.

The book Say Again reads ready for takeoff.

Who is correct and why?

Thank you for your help.

i usually say 'N12345' ready to go at __ (9-er, 2-7, 1-5, etc). i don't think it really matters as long as ATC understands your intentions. at a non-towered field i'll usually say 'N12345 taking off runway ___' and then add my intention to either depart the area to the ___ or staying in the pattern.

Last edited:
I'm in the "ready for departure" camp (or "ready to depart"). Non towered is "departing Runway X," followed by "turning crosswind," "turning downwind" and "departing the pattern to the XX" (this last will be my only call after departure if going out straight enough to avoid the crosswind turn.

Seriously doesn't matter.

This. I've had it bug instructors so much to make a point to correct me right there at the hold short line after I said "ready for take-off" by saying, "You know, take-off should only be used after the clearance has been given to avoid confusion." Basically saying I should say ready for departure, let tower say cleared for take-off, then confirm that I am cleared for take-off. Is it a big deal? I don't think so.

Straight from the radio comm phraseology section of the AIM: "The single, most important thought in pilot/controller communications is understanding."

Basically as long as both parties know what you are saying, that's all that matters.

What do I say: "Tower, N12345, ready runway XX"

hmmmm I just say "5MV holding Short 18"
If I am not on FF then "Holding Short 18 VFR departure to the west"

It is probably not correct but it is the way I have done it.

This. I've had it bug instructors so much to make a point to correct me right there at the hold short line after I said "ready for take-off" by saying, "You know, take-off should only be used after the clearance has been given to avoid confusion." Basically saying I should say ready for departure, let tower say cleared for take-off, then confirm that I am cleared for take-off. Is it a big deal? I don't think so.

Straight from the radio comm phraseology section of the AIM: "The single, most important thought in pilot/controller communications is understanding."

Basically as long as both parties know what you are saying, that's all that matters.

What do I say: "Tower, N12345, ready runway XX"

I get their point, and will teach it myself eventually, but I'll continue with exactly what you said afterward and the AIM reference. Way more important that everyone really knows what's going on, and if a pilot is inexperienced and confused about phraseology they should just utilize plain English and clarify if they're not sure, always.

Fine to demonstrate and ask for proper phraseology in training, but not going to hammer a private pilot over it and create a new problem of being mic shy when they're confused. Especially if they're the type that's intimidated by the radio. Let em practice how to get *something* out of their mouth and then debrief and discuss the "best" way.

I would like to make radio calls correctly and teach the proper phraseology.

That is why I asked.

I have listened to enough radio calls to know that communication is the point and many pilots feel the correct phraseology is unimportant.

I have radio calls written out on a kneeboard and it helps some clients get the hang of it.

If the client is working on an add on rating; I am training them to proficiency and it is not my place to change their communication habits.

I am one for studying and utilizing proper radio techniques and on this one I am in the "doesn't matter" camp.

I however personally use "ready for departure" solely to keep a clear distinction from the "cleared for takeoff" call/readback and leave no room for confusion or ambiguity when communicating with Tower. Wasn't taught that way specifically...just made sense in my mind.

That is why I asked.
Laudable goal. Like @Shawn I'm in the group who thinks "proper" phraseology is very important because use of common language avoids confusion but recognize that sometimes it just doesn't matter, because English is also a common language. To borrow a phrase, I guess "wisdom is knowing the difference."

The Pilot/Controller Glossary contains most of the important phrases, with the AIM containing many examples of recommended communications. The ATC Handbook directing controllers what to say in most situations is also a decent reference, although it is directed to them and is certainly not required reading for us.

FWIW, I guess the "preferred" phrasing for this one appears as an example in the section dealing with intersection takeoffs at towered airports:

Cleveland Tower, Apache Three Seven Two Two Papa, at the intersection of taxiway Oscar and runway two three right, ready for departure.​

OTOH, AIM examples use "climbing to" for reading back altitude assignments contrary to common wisdom (an oxymoron if I ever heard one), so there you go.

Personally, I split my time between "ready for departure" and "ready to go" depending on how wild and crazy I feel that day.

Ready to go when you are -- seems to work fine for me

"Ready for a (direction of intended flight) departure." is one hundred times better than "ready to go." Or "ready for takeoff." because other planes who may be in the area and on frequency will then know where about a to look for you once airpoborne.

I have a huge pet peeve with how so many pilots take radio communication as a chance to sound cool I.e "ready to go." Ready to go is essentially only helpful to the Air traffic controller, who may actually also benefit from a reminder that you intended to make a south bound departure after takeoff and it's completely useless to anyone in the air who may hear your call.

We should all be trying to give the best information we can in our radio calls. No one will care how cool you sound on the radio.

Ready for take off,runway number,direction of flight.

I don't even say "ready." I typically just say something like "Hanscom Tower, Warrior 123 Alpha Bravo, at 29er, for south departure."
If I've pulled up to the Hold Short line seems kinda obvious that I'm -
1. Holding short, and
2. Ready for departure
It's usually so busy there that I don't want to tie up the frequency longer than necessary. I haven't gotten reprimanded by the tower yet, so I guess it works for them.

Last edited:
Mine is Warrior xxxxx ready at xx

Just to keep this thread going for a few more pages, do you say anything if you're number two in line or do you wait until you're number 1?

I distinguish between "ready for takeoff" and "ready for departure". The former is imminent, the latter is less so. In helicopters, I am typically already in the air, hovering or hover-taxiing on the ramp, when I call "ready for southeast departure." This typically results in a hover-taxi clearance to some intersection, perhaps with a hold short, from where takeoff clearance will be given. Sometimes there is no restriction, I can just hover (or air) taxi to the designated spot (runway or taxiway) and takeoff immediately from there with no further clearance.
In airplanes, when told by ground to "call after runup complete", I say, "ready for departure" (but still holding short of a taxiway limit or in the runup block). I only say "ready for takeoff" when holding short of the runway (or in sequence).
I realize not all pilots follow this distinction, but try to stick to it to remain consistent in my own terminology.
Oh, and in gliders I just waggle my tail. :)

Last edited:
"Ready for a (direction of intended flight) departure." is one hundred times better than "ready to go." Or "ready for takeoff." because other planes who may be in the area and on frequency will then know where about a to look for you once airpoborne.

I have a huge pet peeve with how so many pilots take radio communication as a chance to sound cool I.e "ready to go." Ready to go is essentially only helpful to the Air traffic controller, who may actually also benefit from a reminder that you intended to make a south bound departure after takeoff and it's completely useless to anyone in the air who may hear your call.

We should all be trying to give the best information we can in our radio calls. No one will care how cool you sound on the radio.

For a towered airport, the controller will either say fly runway heading or proceed on course or turn right heading ###, etc. As a controller I have no problem with "ready to go, departure" or "holding short of runway." I would rather hear "ready to go" rather than "ready for departure".

No one will care how cool you sound but everyone will care or remember if you sound stupid. ;)

Just to keep this thread going for a few more pages, do you say anything if you're number two in line or do you wait until you're number 1?

Say "holding in sequence." Since ATC is first come first served, waiting until you're number one may put you behind someone else who may be at another intersection.

I say ready to go. Not to sound cool but because im ready. They say clear for takeoff runway 1. Then i say clear for takeoff runway 1 cirrus 123. Either way is fine

Thing is, I am IFR 99% of the time and usually my departure instructions change from the time I leave the parking spot to the time I am holding short.

I wait until I am #1 for take-off and the other aircraft has left the ground. Then again, at my base we don't do intersection departures.

Good point.

If it's busy and I'm 2nd or 3rd in line, I say something like, "Hanscom Tower, Warrior 123 Alpha Bravo, 2nd in sequence at 29er, for south departure." If it's really busy, though, and I'm 4th+ in line (common on the weekends), I'll wait until I'm 2nd or 3rd. On slower days that I just happen to find myself 2nd in sequence, I wait until the 1st plane takes off.

Here's one - I try not to make any calls to the tower when I see another plane is in a critical phase of flight (about to touch down, rolling down the runway for takeoff, etc) in case an emergency arises. Just the other day, I heard the tower try to make a "GO AROUND!!" call to someone and they got stepped on by a pilot announcing his desire to depart. ATC was trying to tell a landing plane to go around because the one who came in before him was suffering a nosewheel collapse. Does anyone else do this, or do you just make your calls when you are ready to make your calls? Am I wrong to wait?

Last edited:
If you know they're going to tell you to hold short then don't say anything until the landing aircraft has passed your position.

It depends on the situation. How busy is the frequency? What's the custom at that airport? Is there anything to be gained by it? Most of the time letting everyone know you're the next one in line seems to be a good idea. It can make the difference between the controller squeezing out 2 departures in a row in one hole in the landing sequence. Knowing that the next guy is already on frequency, ready to go and already having the call sign can make the difference.

If it's busy and I'm 2nd or 3rd in line, I say something like, "Hanscom Tower, Warrior 123 Alpha Bravo, 2nd in sequence at 29er, for south departure." If it's really busy, though, and I'm 4th+ in line (common on the weekends), I'll wait until I'm 2nd or 3rd.........................

I see that as a pretty good take on things. Gives everyone a good picture of what's going on

Cessna12345 holding short runway XX. Pretty useless to call up if you're not number 1. Tower will just tell you to hold short anyway if you're number 2,3,4, etc.

Ah that's true but they will also move your flight strip in sequence when they are ready to blast people off. The audible in the tower with multiple aircraft holding is "who called first?"

Who is correct and why?

Thank you for your help.

Uhh, both of you, who cares.

I've said "airplane 123, ready to go 28 at November" before, everyone knows what I'm saying and everything is just the same.

Also said ready for departure, ready for take off, and probably a few other incarnations of all that too

That is why I asked.

I have listened to enough radio calls to know that communication is the point and many pilots feel the correct phraseology is unimportant.

I have radio calls written out on a kneeboard and it helps some clients get the hang of it.

If the client is working on an add on rating; I am training them to proficiency and it is not my place to change their communication habits.

Oh man, well here's my take, from CFIing I'm am not a phraseology nazi, I'd rather the student say SOMETHING in a TIMELY manner, instead of worrying about saying the text book, 100% proper response, god knows I'd never have lines written on a knee board.

My first priority is on them learning how to
1 fly the dang plane
2 know where said dang plane is and which way to point it
3 let other folks know important stuff

If the student says something and the tower doesn't know what they are saying or asking, trust me, tower will let them know.

Last edited:
"Tower I'm ready when you are"

Yea seriously doesn't matter, your phraseology doesn't have to be limited to what the textbook says.

I do the same. I figure the less words used to convey a point on an active frequency the better. They know what I'm ready for, I've already told them on ground.

That certainly clears that up.

I will stick with departure.

As to sequencing it depends on the airport.

Camarillo (CMA) doesn’t want the departing aircraft to change to tower frequency until they are number one and they want the direction of flight on ground frequency.

At Santa Maria (SMX) Alpha Eight is wide and they would like to know when people are ready and their direction of flight because they may sequence them out of order to manage traffic flow better.

It seems to me each tower has its own culture and what they prefer to hear in radio comunication.

Thank you all for your help and opinions.

There are a few key "phrases" that I think are important and should always be used, verbatim. Things like "cleared to land," "line up and wait," "hold short," and some others. Beyond that, IMHO, the goal is clear, concise communication. Some people get so tied up in trying to sound "professional" and "correct" on the radio that they end up fumbling all over themselves trying to remember the "right" word/phrase or they say the wrong one anyway. Use a little common sense, and use words/phrases that clearly communicate what you want/need to go. "Ready to go" clearly communicates to ATC that you're ready for takeoff. So does "ready for takeoff," "ready for departure," and probably some others I can't think of right now.

I've always said "ready for takeoff", and also taught it that way. Doesn't make it any better than "ready for departure", "ready for blastoff", "ready to go", etc as long as the tower can understand you.

As a controller (retired) who has worked many towers, military and civilian, I never cared how a pilot said it.

Not when their next transmission is "fly straight out, I'll call your turn, cleared for takeoff". Heh.

Plus I operate out of an airport with a permanent special procedure in effect -- direction of flight is provided to the ground controller. Always. Whether a run up is needed is provided to the ground controller. Always.

And the ground controller sequences folks to the runways and then says "MONITOR Tower"... Always.

So technically -- I never say ANYTHING to the Tower, except "Line up and wait Runway XX..." Or "Cleared for takeoff Runway XX". And neither does anyone else at my home airport.

:)

That'll throw a wrench in the OPs question. Heh heh. Always on the ATIS...

Who is correct and why?

Thank you for your help.

There is no "proper radio call." For communications in general, AIM 4-2-1(b) says "Since concise phraseology may not always be adequate, use whatever words are necessary to get your message across." Thanks for reading my book, but understand that it contains suggested phraseology, not required phraseology. Controllers are required to use specific wording, pilots are not.

Bob Gardner

Back