Prop project. (Pictures)

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
little project I started today.
Some of the pictures were taken prior to the repair, some during, and some after.

Attachments

• paujY%qMTvmZnKEdw3MFKA.jpg
    paujY%qMTvmZnKEdw3MFKA.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 130
  • yuRJBwZRSrixAHO3Cgm%tA.jpg
    yuRJBwZRSrixAHO3Cgm%tA.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 117
  • 5Vnl2wtnSBiIKcQiOhSZsA.jpg
    5Vnl2wtnSBiIKcQiOhSZsA.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 116
  • AbeeNXrdTQWQTLaQQ8oLIQ.jpg
    AbeeNXrdTQWQTLaQQ8oLIQ.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 111
  • NMGFksSURvW09pgv1G9vpA.jpg
    NMGFksSURvW09pgv1G9vpA.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 108
  • PLbKypnET8+los53k67eqQ.jpg
    PLbKypnET8+los53k67eqQ.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 113
  • XyKixR%nTnG6aMFSB8Rniw.jpg
    XyKixR%nTnG6aMFSB8Rniw.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
more pictures, keep in mind some are magnified and are just pictures off my phone.

Attachments

• 7CmFvGi6TdymvGcn12LZ9g.jpg
    7CmFvGi6TdymvGcn12LZ9g.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 80
  • 0JWmzg6PRJ63ZqqTakmQ6w.jpg
    0JWmzg6PRJ63ZqqTakmQ6w.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 82
I take some of these pictures magnified just so I can see better where I am with depth (etc)

Attachments

• XbJ1%4ECSqGyQFsapEnr9w.jpg
    XbJ1%4ECSqGyQFsapEnr9w.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 55YAEprZSAiO4qC1O7aldw.jpg
    55YAEprZSAiO4qC1O7aldw.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 74
your project is nicking up a prop? cool!

mostly done blending.

Attachments

• UXgROfUkTzC6iVPzM843yw.jpg
    UXgROfUkTzC6iVPzM843yw.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 80
  • e17CzoRPSOy7vcT%tjozlw.jpg
    e17CzoRPSOy7vcT%tjozlw.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 79
History on this prop is unknown, (no logs) it was one of those props that its records were recorded in a engine record and gone long ago.

Actually not bad. Lets see the reference to the repair limits.

PS Please remove file marks.

Actually not bad. Lets see the reference to the repair limits.

PS Please remove file marks.
The numbers are on the first picture, look them up your self, I'm not going to argue on this.

Trying to prove a point I guess. Not exactly sure what point that might be.
you draw too many conclusions. It is simply a demo project for those who have never seen what really happens when you have a damaged prop.

Last edited:
if you look close you will see that what appears to be file marks, have been anodized over. they are actually sander scratches from the manufacturer when they made the prop.

Attachments

• e17CzoRPSOy7vcT%tjozlw.jpg
    e17CzoRPSOy7vcT%tjozlw.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 68
Ugly as hell but blended right out with vary little deviation to the leading edge.

Attachments

• mTI7iyMKREmgHJK65XVrmQ.jpg
    mTI7iyMKREmgHJK65XVrmQ.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 67
  • XyKixR%nTnG6aMFSB8Rniw.jpg
    XyKixR%nTnG6aMFSB8Rniw.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 65
Thanks for sharing Tom! Nice work. Always gives me the willy's the see a nick that large and the amount of metal that needs to be removed to remedy.

Looks like you did nice work with the dressing and blending. Appreciated seeing this.

Thanks for sharing Tom! Nice work. Always gives me the willy's the see a nick that large and the amount of metal that needs to be removed to remedy.

Looks like you did nice work with the dressing and blending. Appreciated seeing this.
You are vary welcome.
But normally when done correctly it doesn't require too much metal be removed, it looks like a lot, but no.

From McCauley Owner/Operator Information Manual:

(c) Leading and Trailing Edge Repair Procedure
1 Determine the depth of the damaged area.
a The depth of damage must be measured using a depth gage.
b Damage that is located on the leading or trailing edges must not exceed 0.094
inch (2.4 mm) in depth.
c Damage depth greater than this limit is not field repairable.
61-00-06 Page 804
© McCauley Propeller Systems

Thanks Tom for sharing. It's too bad there is at least one d**head on every post. This one was no exception. What the heck is wrong with people who have nothing better to do than try to tear other people down???

1 thread started by him, 459 comments on other people's post. This kind of stuff is ruining this board.

Thanks Tom for sharing. It's too bad there is at least one d**head on every post. This one was no exception. What the heck is wrong with people who have nothing better to do than try to tear other people down???

1 thread started by him, 459 comments on other people's post. This kind of stuff is ruining this board.
Don't let it bother you, they are easy to spot. hit ignore

The numbers are on the first picture, look them up your self, I'm not going to argue on this.

And I did look them up.

Last edited:
And I did.
So tell us what your calibrated eyeball told you about how close I am to the limits.

Keep in mind I use my phone camera as a magnifying glass. and you never know how. much magnification I clicked the pictures. :)
I will tell ya there is no place on the profile that is over 1/16th of an inch out of normal new profile.
I am waiting for my static balancer to come home, and the chemicals to re-finish were ordered today.
So when they all gather we will continue.

Here is the next question, Am I allowed to polish this prop?

Thanks, I've never trusted myself with anything that can take off too much so I haven't tried a file.
For daily erosion/minor dings I've used a smooth, round steel bar.

From AC20-37E
e. Blade Polishing. The FAA receives frequent inquiries from airplane owners and maintenance personnel asking whether it is acceptable to polish propeller blades. It is almost always not acceptable. Corrosion protection such as paint and anodize should not be removed from the surface of a propeller blade. Propeller blades must be maintained to the type design. If the original design had corrosion protection and the instructions for continued airworthiness call for corrosion protection, then the corrosion protection should be maintained to those instructions.

See anything forbidding it?

Ac35,4-1
4. DISCUSSION. The propeller type certification process requires the applicant to prepare ICA. The ICA provide information for proper maintenance that ensures that propellers of that type design are airworthy. For the purposes of this AC, a propeller is considered airworthy when it meets the following two conditions:

a. The propeller conforms to its type certificate (TC). A propeller conforms to its TC when the propeller configuration is consistent with the type design and other data that is part of the TC, as well as other approved data such as that related to repairs, modifications, or alterations.

b. The propeller is in a condition for safe operation. A propeller is in a condition for safe operation when factors such as wear, damage, and deterioration do not prevent the propeller from demonstrating compliance with those requirements of part 35 that relate to the safe operation of the propeller and do not result in an unsafe condition to the aircraft. This means, for example, that a propeller in a condition for safe operation should still comply with the centrifugal load requirements of §35.35.

IMHO, polishing a prop depends upon if it will meet its type design when polished.
the TCDS for the 1A102OCM 6948

P-918.pdf

Anyone know where to find "the type design" for the 1A102?

Thanks, I've never trusted myself with anything that can take off too much so I haven't tried a file.
For daily erosion/minor dings I've used a smooth, round steel bar.
This is known as "burnishing" rather than blending.
it is a good thing to do because it removes no metal.

The MC has deleted a personal attack in this thread and the references to the personal attack. Please keep things civil folks.
thank you

Looks good to me. I'd fly behind it.

I love looking at your work, Tom.

See anything forbidding it?

McCauley Owner/Operator Information Manual, page 202:

C.
Operators CANNOT do the following:
(6) Do not polish propeller blades unless specifically permitted by McCauley’ s instructions

From AC20-37E, page 22:

b. Operators Cannot Do the Following...:
(8) Do not polish blades unless specifically permitted by the manufacturer’s instructions.

Unless there is some sort of SB or STC allowing polished blades.

Back