Private Pilots License

Derek, Im not sure if this would work, or if you would be interested. Have you checked out using tuition assistance for your training? There are at least two places in the Phoenix metro that are part 141 flight colleges; ASU, who partners with ATP for their flight training, and Chandler Gilbert Community College, who works with UND Aerospace for the flight training. They are at Gateway (KIWA) in Mesa. I am a CGCC/UND student using GI Bill, so I know how that works after private, if you are interested.

Last edited:
After I get my license, I plan on saving and paying for flights as I want to take them. No immediate plan to make flying a career, just an enjoyable hobby. I was planning on doing the same for flight training, but it makes sense that dragging it out would cost more money, and I might forget some of the instruction.
I dragged mine out. Trained at the rate I expected to be able to fly after. Finished in 60 hours in 2 years, so it didn't cost me much in "extra" hours. Not optimal, but doable. And I'm not big on waiting.

Good luck, we're all counting on you.

Edit: OK, so I checked my log book, it was 68 hours, it keeps getting lower every time I remember it so... Anyway, I wouldn't do it over differently to save 10 hours, flying is flying after all.

Last edited:
Edit: OK, so I checked my log book, it was 68 hours, it keeps getting lower every time I remember it so... Anyway, I wouldn't do it over differently to save 10 hours, flying is flying after all.

Just tell everyone you did your certificate in however many hours your checkride took. ;)

It’s accurate that way. Nobody asked how many hours BEFORE the checkride. :) :) :)

Back