Private Pilots License

Awesome, small world. I was on the Test side all 5 years that I was there. Osan was probably my favorite assignment, though im sure it was quite different in 08-09 than in 73-74, lol.

I'm sure it was different, Korean War era buildings, mandatory chow hall (good food though), planes were F-4s, O-2s then OV-10s, a DC-130 and a U-2. I started flying at the Osan Aero Club in 74. We had a lot of fun, "Chico Vill" was wide open then. right out the gate. Let's just say one could have some night time fun very inexpensively too. :D

Been a while, but I’ve spent time at Eglin for missile tests. We fly JASSMs there, and we’ve done some JAGM ground shots there as well.

BTW, Mark - I know you like some of the old aviation movies. Did you realize the airfield scenes in 12 O’Clock High were filmed at Eglin?

Been a while, but I’ve spent time at Eglin for missile tests. We fly JASSMs there, and we’ve done some JAGM ground shots there as well.

BTW, Mark - I know you like some of the old aviation movies. Did you realize the airfield scenes in 12 O’Clock High were filmed at Eglin?

I've seen that movie many times. About a year or so ago for some reason I googled the movie and discovered those scenes were at Eglin like you said. Also the Doolittle Raiders trained at Field 4 I think, NE of Eglin. Interesting place Eglin, a lot of classified stuff going on there. When I was there it was like a friggin' airshow everday with around 100 or more fighters assigned there with all the different Wings, airliners landing there, Rescue with C130s and UH-60s, heck the Aero Club back then had 25 planes. Busy place, and the tower was ideal to watch it all.

Last edited:
Actually, the yellow pages (or google) is about the worst way to find a flight school. Getting references, especially from people you trust is the key in any personal service like this. Failing that, a good recommendation from a neutral party (like POA member) is a close second.

I've seen that movie many times. About a year or so ago for some reason I googled the movie and discovered those scenes were at Eglin like you said. Also the Doolittle Raiders trained at Field 4 I think, NE of Eglin. Interesting place glin, a lot of classified stuff going on there. When I was there it was like a friggin' airshow everday with around 100 or more fighters assigned there with all the different Wings, airliners landing there, Rescue with C130s and UH-60s, heck the Aero Club back then had 25 planes. Busy place, and the tower was ideal to watch it all.

Yeah, cool place. Good wx all year, and the Gulf allows for some interesting missile tests. Lots of history.

Florida is a good place to be if you like aviation. Year ‘round flying, lots of museums, SnF, several manufacturers, the Keys, the Bahamas,.... Just wish there weren’t so many MOAs and RAs and Trump TFRs!

Yeah, cool place. Good wx all year, and the Gulf allows for some interesting missile tests. Lots of history.

Florida is a good place to be if you like aviation. Year ‘round flying, lots of museums, SnF, several manufacturers, the Keys, the Bahamas,.... Just wish there weren’t so many MOAs and RAs and Trump TFRs!

Eglin has/had like 10 airports on their reservation, most of them active during WW2. One on the west side above Gulf Breeze is where the Blue Angels practice during their show season, Choctaw NOLF. Believe it used to be Field 10 when the Air Force had it.

Does anyone know if your ground school certification expires? I am looking at starting/finishing the school in the middle of this year, however, I will be paying for the actual flying lessons little by little, so it will take a significant amount of time.

Does anyone know if your ground school certification expires? I am looking at starting/finishing the school in the middle of this year, however, I will be paying for the actual flying lessons little by little, so it will take a significant amount of time.

https://www.faa.gov/pilots/become/knowledge/

Tyndall 96 - 97, Elgin (33FW side) 97 - 01. Then, 16 more years and never made it back.

Do you mean the endorsement to take the written exam?

I am wanting to finish ground school, and pass the written exam, then slowly work on the flying hours. Or, do you take the written exam once you finish the required flying hours? I was looking at buying the Gleim "Private Pilot Kit", and studying for the exam that way, instead of going to a "traditional" ground school. I apologize, I may have the order of events wrong, kind of learning as I go. I appreciate all of the help.

I am wanting to finish ground school, and pass the written exam, then slowly work on the flying hours. Or, do you take the written exam once you finish the required flying hours? I was looking at buying the Gleim "Private Pilot Kit", and studying for the exam that way, instead of going to a "traditional" ground school. I apologize, I may have the order of events wrong, kind of learning as I go. I appreciate all of the help.
There is an expiration date on the written exams.... 2 years. If you take the written, and then do not do the practical before the expiration date, you must re-take the written.

For many, studying for the written after some flight training has occurred can be the better way. After 3-8 hours in the left seat, many of the knowledge items are much easier to grok because you understand the context.

But that doesn't mean you cannot do all of the written test study before you start any actual flight training. If you get stuck on a concept, asking us here at PoA about it might help fill in the blanks.

Flight first, then written? Or pass written then fly? Either works and there is no drastic downside to which you choose.

Formal Classroom ground school or home study? Again, either works. There are pros/cons to both and it's to you to figure out what fits your style. I personally have done both and found that a mix works for me. Classroom allows for some good discussions that deepen the knowledge on a topic. Home study allows you to take bites out of the elephant anytime you want.

What flavor of home study product? Sportys, Gleim, ASA, King Schools....? All are good and will get you to the desired end. Discussing which is best can be it's on 500+ reply discussion thread.

There is an expiration date on the written exams.... 2 years. If you take the written, and then do not do the practical before the expiration date, you must re-take the written.

For many, studying for the written after some flight training has occurred can be the better way. After 3-8 hours in the left seat, many of the knowledge items are much easier to grok because you understand the context.

But that doesn't mean you cannot do all of the written test study before you start any actual flight training. If you get stuck on a concept, asking us here at PoA about it might help fill in the blanks.

Flight first, then written? Or pass written then fly? Either works and there is no drastic downside to which you choose.

Formal Classroom ground school or home study? Again, either works. There are pros/cons to both and it's to you to figure out what fits your style. I personally have done both and found that a mix works for me. Classroom allows for some good discussions that deepen the knowledge on a topic. Home study allows you to take bites out of the elephant anytime you want.

What flavor of home study product? Sportys, Gleim, ASA, King Schools....? All are good and will get you to the desired end. Discussing which is best can be it's on 500+ reply discussion thread.

Thank you, Sir. I did not know that you could start the flying lessons prior to finishing the ground school. I might just start working up some flying hours, and then knock out the written exam when I get close to completion. Thank you again, this was great information.

Thank you, Sir. I did not know that you could start the flying lessons prior to finishing the ground school. I might just start working up some flying hours, and then knock out the written exam when I get close to completion. Thank you again, this was great information.
Glad to help....

There may be a few schools out there who say "must pass written before you fly", but they are very rare.

Something else you can do as you home study.... Get a copy the Private Pilot Airman Certification Standards (link will take you to Amazon). This is the "open book summary" of what you need to know and understand to be ready for your exams. So as you study, you can cross check against the ACS to make sure you're gaining all of the required knowledge, and not "feature creeping" into topics that aren't needed at this time. And ensuring you're not leaving a required item out.

41yWfg2-sXL._SX382_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Next is a reminder to focus first on the basics before adding the frills.... and by frills, I mean electronic gadgetry such as tablets and electronic flight bags. Yes, the tablets and EFB's will play a role in training. But you need to know the what's and why's behind what these do first. This means learning to do it old skool with paper, pencil, plotter, and E6B calculator.

Part of this reminder is because, for the written exam, you cannot bring in a tablet with an EFB. So you need to know how to do it old skool. The other part is to gain the knowledge and confidence to execute the flight when the tablet goes offline while in flight and cannot be brought back to life.

You also should become well versed at basic pilotage. This is the ability to plan your flight from landmark to landmark and execute that flight from that plan without the use of electronic whizmo's. A frequent discussion amongst local CFI's is how pilotage isn't emphasized enough and both students and post PPL owner/operators are really lost (pun intended) without their magenta lines.

Another item that can help with training is to develop a good plan to train at least twice a week.

The skills that you are going to pick up are very perishable. Starting and stopping, and not flying often enough will cause you to lose your edge on items recently learned. That will require repeating lessons, causing delays in the long term plan, and increasing training costs.

And arrive at each lesson well prepared. Complete any assigned homework and be ready to properly brief/review with your CFI. A good objective is the ability to answer his question of "So, what are we going to do today?" with both the highlights of today's lesson plan and what you read about how to do the maneuvers.

Another item that can help with training is to develop a good plan to train at least twice a week.

The skills that you are going to pick up are very perishable. Starting and stopping, and not flying often enough will cause you to lose your edge on items recently learned. That will require repeating lessons, causing delays in the long term plan, and increasing training costs.

And arrive at each lesson well prepared. Complete any assigned homework and be ready to properly brief/review with your CFI. A good objective is the ability to answer his question of "So, what are we going to do today?" with both the highlights of today's lesson plan and what you read about how to do the maneuvers.

Thank you so much. All of this information has been very helpful, I will need to find a way to work my budget into allowing me to fly as much as possible.

Haha, yea, theres a big love hate relationship with working on the flightline. You can definitely make more money as an ATC than as a mechanic though. Im currently at Luke AFB.
In the vicinity of Luke, I've flown into Deer Valley and Glendale Airports a number of times, and one thing I can tell you is that the student traffic at Deer Valley is crazy busy. Glendale is much less busy, and consequently less stressful to fly in and out of. The AOPA airport directory lists several places to get flight instruction at Glendale:

https://www.aopa.org/destinations/airports/KGEU/details#fbos

Actually, the yellow pages (or google) is about the worst way to find a flight school. Getting references, especially from people you trust is the key in any personal service like this. Failing that, a good recommendation from a neutral party (like POA member) is a close second.
None of us are neutral parties. Altho all of us like a rousing good party!

There's no rush on the knowledge exam (aka The Written) altho you must have passed it before solo. There is a time limit of 24 calendar months. So study, pass the written the day before solo, then you have 24 months to checkride before you need to pass it again.

I will need to find a way to work my budget into allowing me to fly as much as possible.
One suggestion I like to make regarding the financials. Following this plan will ensure that lack of funds isn't the reason that keeps you from training. And this plan also works to avoid getting you into any debt.
  • Plan for ~$9000.00, plus or minus for regionality. This can include aircraft rental, supplies, testing fees, books, etc.
  • Do what is necessary to fill up your money bucket to at least 60% to 66% of the total funds required or budgeted.
    • This includes taking on additional hours at work, part time jobs, neighborhood handyperson jobs, mowing dogs, walking lawns, house sitting, etc.
    • Hold a garage sale. You might be able to get as much as 10% of your funding uncluttering your house.
    • Do anything legal that increases your income
  • Once you have 60% to 66% of the money, open the tap at the bottom of your bucket and start training.
  • As you deplete money from the bottom of your bucket, continue to work the extra income jobs to add to the top of the bucket.
  • If you finish with money left over in the bucket, plan for a celebratory flight with your sweetie to a really nice dinner.

altho you must have passed it before solo. There is a time limit of 24 calendar months. So study, pass the written the day before solo, then you have 24 months to checkride before you need to pass it again.

Negative ghostrider. He only has to have the written passed before he can take the practical test (the check ride). The only test before solo is a Pre-Solo test, nothing like the written, and usually open book and gone over with the CFI.

@Derek Cook when you start flight lessons your CFI will explain the entire process to you

. Here's a good overview of what's involved:

http://www.goldsealgroundschool.com/library/learn-to-fly-2017.pdf

One suggestion I like to make regarding the financials. Following this plan will ensure that lack of funds isn't the reason that keeps you from training. And this plan also works to avoid getting you into any debt.
  • Plan for ~$9000.00, plus or minus for regionality. This can include aircraft rental, supplies, testing fees, books, etc.
  • Do what is necessary to fill up your money bucket to at least 60% to 66% of the total funds required or budgeted.
    • This includes taking on additional hours at work, part time jobs, neighborhood handyperson jobs, mowing dogs, walking lawns, house sitting, etc.
    • Hold a garage sale. You might be able to get as much as 10% of your funding uncluttering your house.
    • Do anything legal that increases your income
  • Once you have 60% to 66% of the money, open the tap at the bottom of your bucket and start training.
  • As you deplete money from the bottom of your bucket, continue to work the extra income jobs to add to the top of the bucket.
  • If you finish with money left over in the bucket, plan for a celebratory flight with your sweetie to a really nice dinner.

That actually sounds pretty reasonable. I am going to give this a try, and delay the training for now.

Hello,

I am new to the Forum, and I am interested in getting my Private Pilots License. I was wondering if anyone has gone through the process in Phoenix, Arizona? If so, are there any schools that you would recommend I contact to get started? Thank you.
Welcome to the board and thanks for your service! Good luck on your private pilot quest.

Can't help you much with the Phoenix training request other than when I got out of the AF (Eglin AFB), I worked at a contract tower for a bit at Williams-Gateway (IWA) and they have multiple flight schools there you can look into.

Too bad you weren't able to start at Eglin...when I was there I flight instructed at the Aero Club and could have possibly trained you...depending on the years you were there. Keep us posted on your journey.

Negative ghostrider. He only has to have the written passed before he can take the practical test (the check ride). The only test before solo is a Pre-Solo test, nothing like the written, and usually open book and gone over with the CFI.

@Derek Cook when you start flight lessons your CFI will explain the entire process to you

. Here's a good overview of what's involved:

http://www.goldsealgroundschool.com/library/learn-to-fly-2017.pdf
aaarrrrggggghhhhh! my bad. medical before solo, not written.

@Derek Cook --- one area that, for now, you shouldn't overspend on.... Headset.

The top of the line models are $700 and higher, but for training, you don't need that. You might want it later, but for now, you can wait.

What you want to do is scout for a good brand that hopefully features Active Noise Reduction, or ANR. Budget about $300-$350 and you'll find many to choose from.

But your hearing is valuable and easily damaged. The very low end $150 and lower PNR headsets will work for short flights for the occasional passenger, but I don't recommend them for someone who is about to embark on a long term program of usage.

The top of the line models are $700 and higher, but for training, you don't need that. You might want it later, but for now, you can wait.

What you want to do is scout for a good brand that hopefully features Active Noise Reduction, or ANR. Budget about $300-$350 and you'll find many to choose from.

But your hearing is valuable and easily damaged. The very low end $150 and lower PNR headsets will work for short flights for the occasional passenger, but I don't recommend them for someone who is about to embark on a long term program of usage.

Oh, I dunno; my ASA headset has sufficient noise reduction for the LSAs I fly and it’s quite comfortable (I added cloth ear covers). I have been using it for almost 2 years and it’s still in perfect shape. Only $100 and has a lifetime warranty. Hard to beat for a PNR headset.

How will you pay for your flying after you have the license? Just pay for your lessons the same way.

After I get my license, I plan on saving and paying for flights as I want to take them. No immediate plan to make flying a career, just an enjoyable hobby. I was planning on doing the same for flight training, but it makes sense that dragging it out would cost more money, and I might forget some of the instruction.

Another good point. Do you have a recommendation for a good mid-level headset?

Another good point. Do you have a recommendation for a good mid-level headset?

http://www.headsetsinc.com/

I bought their ANR headset already put together, in 2003. I still have it. I don't think they make the model I have, but I can still get parts for it. It has seen temperatures from -48f to 116f. Or you can get a do it yourself kit.

Is Shane and Squawk Shoppe still operating?

After I get my license, I plan on saving and paying for flights as I want to take them. No immediate plan to make flying a career, just an enjoyable hobby. I was planning on doing the same for flight training, but it makes sense that dragging it out would cost more money, and I might forget some of the instruction.

I suggest you train at the same frequency you will later fly. This will take more total hours to get your certificate, but your skills will be less likely to atrophy when you finish training and transition to your normal flying pace.

Re: Books, I just took the IR written and I will have to say the faa (free) book was excellent. I think between this book https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/phak/
And the Far/Aim, you would find the answer to every question on the written. There are also study guides and you can find sample test questions online. There is no short cut, you will need to know this stuff.

And another good one. https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/airplane_handbook/

Speaking of the FAR/AIM, look for the app from ASA. One of the best on both major OS’s.

And unlike the paper book, buy it once and it’s free updates forever.

Back