Private Pilots License

Derek Cook

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Derek Cook
Hello,

I am new to the Forum, and I am interested in getting my Private Pilots License. I was wondering if anyone has gone through the process in Phoenix, Arizona? If so, are there any schools that you would recommend I contact to get started? Thank you.

Welcome to POA Derek. I'm sure someone from the Phoenix area will post about the area's flight schools.

Welcome to PoA, Derek.
Open the Yellow Pages book (or use an app if you're half my age), call the local schools and inquire about their rates, airplanes, instructors, policies, rules and requirements. Also find out whether they push for part 141 training.
And yes, hoping that someone from the Phoenix area will chime in. (but take all feedback, including mine, with a huge grain of salt, this is the Ynterweb afterall)

Most importantly: have fun flying!

Welcome to PoA, Derek.
Open the Yellow Pages book (or use an app if you're half my age), call the local schools and inquire about their rates, airplanes, instructors, policies, rules and requirements. Also find out whether they push for part 141 training.
And yes, hoping that someone from the Phoenix area will chime in. (but take all feedback, including mine, with a huge grain of salt, this is the Ynterweb afterall)

Most importantly: have fun flying!

Thank you, Sir. If I may ask, what is the importance of part 141 training? I apologize, I am very new to all of this.

Thank you, sir.

Don't call me Sir Derek, I don't work for a living no more. :D

BTW read this, go down to post #7 by that Aggie fella.

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/order-of-training.109548/#post-2481438

As for CFAR Part 141 that is an approved flight school, set up like a formal flight course w/ ground lessons and progress checks during your training. The other method is CFAR Part 61, which is less formal but gets the job done. There are some other minor differences but either way is fine.

You are just starting out. Lots to learn. First two items come to mind:

1) Do not buy flight time in advance. Some schools offer a discount if you pay in advance and although this has worked out for many, a substantial number of schools are financially hanging by a thread and some students are left holding an empty bag when the school folds. Pay as you go.

2) Very early in your flight career you should visit with an Aviation Medical Examiner ("AME") and take your flight physical. The biggest trip wires today seem to be Alcohol infractions (DWI arrests, etc) and taking one or more drugs a called SSRIs. If you trip over these wires you can usually still get your certificate but to do so can cost a lot of money and time. If this applies to you, report back here and many here will advise you how to proceed.

So welcome to the Ancient and Royal Order of Airman, Hatchling division!

-Skip

What do you do in the AF? Are you at a base that has an Aero Club?

Coincidently enough, I am an aircraft mechanic, lol. Unfortunately the base I am at does not have an Aero Club, that would have been too convenient.

Coincidently enough, I am an aircraft mechanic, lol. Unfortunately the base I am at does not have an Aero Club, that would have been too convenient.

I was in CE and went to look at fields to cross train and asked about C130 engine mechanic. The advisor looked at me and said, "are you ****ing crazy?" He had been in maintenance and talked me out of it. I was learning to fly at McGuire Aero Club and told him well I want something aviation related. He said how about ATC, and I said that sounds cool. So I did that. Wish I had stuck with engine mechanic though. You can never know enough in aviation. What base are you at, and what plane you on?

Welcome! And thanks for serving! What planes do you wrench upon?

You’ll find lots of excellent advice here. Also lots of deadly advice. The sport is in having enough luck to survive until you figure out which is which.

Are you interested in flying just for fun, or are you looking for a second career after you retire from the AF?

Welcome Derek! I salute you (well, a stock photo stunt-me does)!

air-force-airman-saluting-picture-id472595056

I was in CE and went to look at fields to cross train and asked about C130 engine mechanic. The advisor looked at me and said, "are you ****ing crazy?" He had been in maintenance and talked me out of it. I was learning to fly at McGuire Aero Club and told him well I want something aviation related. He said how about ATC, and I said that sounds cool. So I did that. Wish I had stuck with engine mechanic though. You can never know enough in aviation. What base are you at, and what plane you on?

Haha, yea, theres a big love hate relationship with working on the flightline. You can definitely make more money as an ATC than as a mechanic though. Im currently at Luke AFB.

Welcome! And thanks for serving! What planes do you wrench upon?

You’ll find lots of excellent advice here. Also lots of deadly advice. The sport is in having enough luck to survive until you figure out which is which.

Are you interested in flying just for fun, or are you looking for a second career after you retire from the AF?

Thank you, Sir. I have worked F-16's, F-15's, F-35's, and A-10's. For now, I am just interested in flying for fun, however, I may decide to move into the commercial field one day in the future.

Haha, yea, theres a big love hate relationship with working on the flightline. You can definitely make more money as an ATC than as a mechanic though. Im currently at Luke AFB.
Talk to the folks at Gendale....your airspace is a neighbor.

Welcome, Derek. I learned to fly at the Vandenberg AFB Aero Club, but had a PCS to Hill AFB before I got my private license, so I had to finish up at the local Ogden, UT FBO since Hill had just shut down their Aero Club. That was in 1964. :D

My AFSC was 31350, avionics tech. I got out after four years as an E-4.

Looking at Phoenix area flight schools, Westwind at Deer Valley is a Cessna Pilot Center and is Part 141. https://www.westwindaviation.com/private-pilot-training

It might be worthwhile to check it out.

Last edited:
Welcome, and thanks for your service. Aircraft mechanic? Please chime in the threads in maintenance section.

You can definitely make more money as an ATC than as a mechanic though. Im currently at Luke AFB.

Not if you retire from the AF as a controller, as then you'd be over the hire age. Think it's 30. But make it to the FAA as a controller and they definitely make more bucks than AF ATC. Just look at @Radar Contact, flying around in a C310! ;)

I knew a married couple who were both controllers years ago, each pulling in $200K.

Luke, so where else have been stationed?

Last edited:
Welcome, Derek. I learned to fly at the Vandenberg AFB Aero Club, but had a PCS to Hill AFB before I got my private license, so I had to finish up at the local Ogden, UT FBO since Hill had just shut down their Aero Club. That was in 1964. :D

My AFSC was 31350, avionics tech. I got out after four years as an E-4.

Looking at Phoenix area flight schools, Westwind at Deer Valley is a Cessna Pilot Center and is Part 141. https://www.westwindaviation.com/private-pilot-training

It might be worthwhile to check it out.

Thank you. I will definitely check out Westwind. I was stationed at Eglin for 5 years, but I unfortunately never took advantage of their aero club. Ah, a fellow flightliner, I am a weapons guy by trade.

Not if you retire from the AF as a controller, as then you'd be over the hire age. Think it's 30. But make it to the FAA as a controller and they definitely make more bucks than AF ATC. Just look at @Radar Contact, flying around in a C310! ;)

I knew a married couple who were both controllers years ago, each pulling in $200K.

Luke, so where else have been stationed?

That is very true, I forgot they had an age cutoff for civilian Controllers.

I have been stationed at Osan South Korea, Kunsan South Korea, and Eglin.

Thank you. I will definitely check out Westwind. I was stationed at Eglin for 5 years, but I unfortunately never took advantage of their aero club. Ah, a fellow flightliner, I am a weapons guy by trade.

I was at Eglin Derek, 81-85, worked in the tower. Were you in the 33rd or the Test side?
I also did a year at Osan, 73-74.

I was at Eglin Derek, 81-85, worked in the tower. Were you in the 33rd or the Test side?
I also did a year at Osan, 73-74.

Awesome, small world. I was on the Test side all 5 years that I was there. Osan was probably my favorite assignment, though im sure it was quite different in 08-09 than in 73-74, lol.

I have an appointment scheduled with a local AME next tuesday, im excited to get this ball rolling!

Awesome, small world. I was on the Test side all 5 years that I was there. Osan was probably my favorite assignment, though im sure it was quite different in 08-09 than in 73-74, lol.

We used to love taking the bus down to Osan to shop, and have Chilis:) I was in Yongson in Seoul when I was in the Army.

We used to love taking the bus down to Osan to shop, and have Chilis:) I was in Youngson in Seoul when I was in the Army.

Yea, Osan is a good place to end up spending a ton of money.

Back