Private Pilot Checkride Aircraft Requirments

Lawson Laslo

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
N2005H
Hello, I own a 1946 Ercoupe with rudder pedals. I am currently a student pilot and was wondering when it come time for my check ride what are the requirements for my aircraft (ie. required equipment etc...)?
Thank You

The required equipment for his aircraft to operate under VFR is covered by FAR 91.205b & c.
Isn't he asking what additional equipment is required to take a Private Pilot checkride in his plane?

91.205 only addresses the minimum equipment required for any aircraft to be airworthy for flight.
Appendix 7 of the Private Pilot ACS refers to 61.45, Practical tests: Required aircraft and equipment. But that doesn't specifically address the question, it just says equipment necessary to demonstrate the required tasks. I assume your Ercoupe with rudder pedals would be capable of this, I'm not sure, though. For crosswind t/o and landing, the ACS just says proper control manipulation and directional control, which could be maintained even with the Ercoupe without separate rudder control. But, another question, can you Forward Slip an Ercoupe without the rudder control?
Probably the bottom line, if in doubt, ask the examiner which you intend to employ for your checkride.

91.205 only addresses the minimum equipment required for any aircraft to be airworthy for flight.
Appendix 7 of the Private Pilot ACS refers to 61.45, Practical tests: Required aircraft and equipment. But that doesn't specifically address the question
It doesn’t specifically address it, because there’s nothing to address. An airworthy aircraft that meets the requirements prescribed in 91.205(b)&(c) is all that’s needed.

It doesn’t specifically address it, because there’s nothing to address. An airworthy aircraft that meets the requirements prescribed in 91.205(b)&(c) is all that’s needed.

Agree but also talk to the DPE. Just spoke to a DPE I know last weekend to inquire if our basic VFR panel was sufficient for the guy I partner with on the plane to take the test. No VOR, no transponder, handheld radio and he said as long as you can perform all the things in the ACS you are good. He also mentioned that he has given check rides in cubs. He can test you on anything during the oral part of the exam so you better know basic instruments you may not have in the plane.

do you have a enough instruments to perform the Flight by Ref to instrument maneuvers?

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Most important beyond the part 91 regs is checking with your DPE. Many of them have minimums exceeding the regs. He's the one who needs to be consulted. Also ask the DPE for a preliminary check of plane and records. Most will do this for free a day or two before your checkride. If there are records issues, you will be disqualified the day of and have to pay for that privileged.

I did this and DPE found a slight inaccuracy in my IACRA record quickly fixed overnight.

If the plane looks half as good as the panel it must be a sight to see. I love Ercoupe and hope you fly it for your private and checkride. Good luck and fly well.

Hello, I own a 1946 Ercoupe with rudder pedals. I am currently a student pilot and was wondering when it come time for my check ride what are the requirements for my aircraft (ie. required equipment etc...)?
Thank You

I am in a similar situation, only no rudder pedals. I asked my CFI, he didn't think it would be an issue. On the other hand, I asked another CFI, and he said it depends on the examiner. Some examiners might limit my license to 2 axis control aircraft (of which the Ercoupe is the only one). Ask a CFI, one with years of experience and has seen it all. I would be interested in other opinions.

There's no provision in the regulations (or practice) for an Ercoupe-only limitation. In addition to slips, it may be hard to conduct the stall tasks.

Ercoupe is a good student plane. It's one of the few aircraft your CFI wont yell at you for trying to taxi steer with the yoke. :thumbsup:

I hope to fly an Ercoupe next week before the flight school sells it. I can't wait!

Not this one....just da yoke! I'm not sure if it has heat...

Back