Private checkride went horribly wrong!

See post 234. That should give you the answer to your question.

To quote Yosemite Sam..."I got you outnumbered...One to One."

Thought you had me on ignore? Who's the stupid one now?

Last edited:
Wow, keep digging a hole there buddy. Let me know how China is, because you're more than halfway

No offense, I know you're in aviation for a living too. I respect that. Other people like to drive buses. I respect that too. They will never get rich, and probably get sick of driving that bus day after day after day after day. But someone has to do it.

Thank you.

"I'm not actually reading your stuff. I'm just following along in your thread that you started, trying to see everything you're saying and being quoted by others."

Give me a friggin' break.

Pathetic.

He is reading every word. Glued to his monitor. Fascinated. I am fascinating. It is true.

Thanks fans! But please let's lock this thread now.

I feel like Bruce Lee in one of those old movies. Countless waves of lesser mortals coming at me, and I deftly dispatch them one by one.

Calling me stupid, etc, really very childish. I have an advanced college degree. Yes, shock and horror.

I am actually reasonable. Most of you have made good points. I hear what you're saying and filing it away. Some of it in useful places, and some of it in "who gives a flying f-k". Don't be offended if I don't listen to everything you have to say.

Now back to my "event". You were not there. I know my stuff. My CFI agrees that he was overly harsh on me but blames that on my bonehead "record the session" move. Yes, contrary to what many of you are saying, I know and admit my mess up.

As for the comment about all the friggin' aviation geniuses reading this forum... They're not doing that BS inkpot and papyrus flight planning my idiot DPE kept pressing me on. I showed him a perfect flight plan in foreflight the way MOST OF YOU do it, or one of the other websites like fltplan.com. Stop lying when you defend that paper crap. It is indefensible.

Murphy, thanks for your comments. I promise not to scare you if I fly in your airspace, honey cakes.

Wayne... You've got me on ignore yet you're posting in this thread. Yeah, right. Being old and childish must be interesting. At least I've got youth as my excuse.

The saga will continue. I will pass my checkride next week. I guarantee it. I succeed at everything I do. Sometimes I hit a speedbump or some idiot in my way, but it is a temporary setback.

No, you are stupid, advanced degrees hold no preclusion to stupidity. Funniest thing is, you are so prideful you will never learn from your mistakes, and that is the definition of stupid. You may pass your check ride, you may succeed at everything you do, it makes you no less stupid. I don't personally care, I believe in the 'big sky' theory and fly VFR for the most part so I can see what's around me. I fly a pretty fast plane so until you can afford better than a rental or a single engine piston plane, I'm pretty safe from you rear ending me. When you kill yourself and your family, I will let out a sigh of relief that your genealogy has been terminated from humanity.

The "EE" *snort* evidently doesn't understand some forms of electronic communications very well.

Thought you had me on ignore? Who's the stupid one now?

In other words Pete, having someone on ignore prevents you from seeing their direct posts but it does not prevent you from seeing your posts as a quote in some other person's post. Your continued insistence that there can be no other explanation for things beyond what you wish to see is the reason you failed your checkride. The recording aspect just made it more likely for the DPE to dig and uncover that.

I will let out a sigh of relief that your genealogy has been terminated from humanity.

You're german right? hmmm.... Some habits die hard, eh?

The scum they let into the country... Just awful.

Not that I have any duty to have to defend myself to you, but for the sake of trying to bring this thread back down to sane level I'm in my late 20s. EE.

I'm guessing that your advanced EE degree required a fair amount of math and various calculations that, in the real world, are done by computer. Do you also feel that the various tests you had along the way were a stupid waste of time?

In other words Pete, having someone on ignore prevents you from seeing their direct posts but it does not prevent you from seeing your posts as a quote in some other person's post. Your continued insistence that there can be no other explanation for things beyond what you wish to see is the reason you failed your checkride. The recording aspect just made it more likely for the DPE to dig and uncover that.

Looking at a reflection is the same as looking at the original text, idiot. The fact that he is reading everything I am saying from inside "quotes" does not take away from the fact that he is reading what I'm saying.

I know this is difficult for your feeble mind to grasp.

Well, he doesn't actually have a degree on paper, it's on his iPad.

No offense, I know you're in aviation for a living too. I respect that. Other people like to drive buses. I respect that too. They will never get rich, and probably get sick of driving that bus day after day after day after day. But someone has to do it.

Thank you.

**** off, you made it very clear you don't respect anyone who flies for a living a few posts back. So remember that, the DPE probably isn't in the game for fun, he's making a living. So are most CFI's. Remember, you just made it clear you have no respect for anyone who got you to where you're at.

You are a danger to yourself, your friends and quite frankly, every one of us that flies. You will be the kind of pilot everyone hates. Walks into an FBO, demands the world, makes sure they treat your PA-38 bugsmasher like a jet, then complain what it costs.

Do us all a favor, fly solo, over uninhabited lands.

Calling me stupid, etc, really very childish. I have an advanced college degree. Yes, shock and horror.

Fits well with the picture you are presenting here. Overeducated know-it-alls are who give the rest of educated amateur pilots a bad name (it is where the 'doctors are bonanza killers meme comes from).

I hear what you're saying and filing it away. Some of it in useful places, and some of it in "who gives a flying f-k". Don't be offended if I don't listen to everything you have to say.

If you dont want to listen, why did you ask in the first place ?

cantankerousknowitall said:
Any advice would be great.

You were not there. I know my stuff.

No you dont. You got a fundamental item wrong right in the beginning. Had you not antagonized your DPE already, he may have used that one as a teaching opportunity and moved on in the oral, but the way you set up your checkride, you eliminated that possibility.

As for the comment about all the friggin' aviation geniuses reading this forum... They're not doing that BS inkpot and papyrus flight planning my idiot DPE kept pressing me on.
A lot of them do. My IFR charts have lots of marks with color pencil on them. Takes a second to mark up a re-route, once I am set up on the new course, I put it in the 530 and then the ipad.
But maybe I am not a genious.

I showed him a perfect flight plan in foreflight the way MOST OF YOU do it, or one of the other websites like fltplan.com. Stop lying when you defend that paper crap. It is indefensible.

Did you ask him when you set up the appointment whether you would be allowed to use electronic aids ?

The saga will continue. I will pass my checkride next week. I guarantee it. I succeed at everything I do. Sometimes I hit a speedbump or some idiot in my way, but it is a temporary setback.

Good luck. You'll need it.

Last edited:
Well, I didn't even get to the practical portion! The DPE failed me on the oral. :eek: I had a bad initial interaction with him, and just knew it was going to go south (which it did). I recorded the oral and that also riled him up. Probably a bad move! But in retrospect, I have proof he was overall harsh on me. Do I have any recourse? Or just suck it up, and retest with a different DPE? Any advice would be great.

Good spot to interject this again...

You're german right? hmmm.... Some habits die hard, eh?

The scum they let into the country... Just awful.

Yep, although I have learned I don't have to do anything to eliminate the stupid, they typically manage it on their own. I think the DE should have given you your ticket, once you no longer have someone looking over your shoulder, the responsibility for your life will be on you, and you will screw that up sooner rather than later if you can afford to keep flying. I'm against all these nanny state regulations that protect people from themselves. In the words of Ponticus Pilot, "Die if you want to, I wash my hands of you."

It could be worse. Somebody down in the ranks could have hired this moron and he could be working in your company.

Looking at a reflection is the same as looking at the original text, idiot. The fact that he is reading everything I am saying from inside "quotes" does not take away from the fact that he is reading what I'm saying.

I know this is difficult for your feeble mind to grasp.
You can think I've got a feeble mind if it helps you to overlook your loudly stated shortcomings... But that doesn't change the fact that after accusing another of lying about putting you on ignore, your reason for such accusation has been proven to not be reliable.

Yep, although I have learned I don't have to do anything to eliminate the stupid, they typically manage it on their own. I think the DE should have given you your ticket, once you no longer have someone looking over your shoulder, the responsibility for your life will be on you, and you will screw that up sooner rather than later if you can afford to keep flying. I'm against all these nanny state regulations that protect people from themselves. In the words of Ponticus Pilot, "Die if you want to, I wash my hands of you."

Okay, Henning, thank you. Yes got it. You want me to be dead. i annoy you. I am truly sorry for that. I on the other hand like you. No, really I do. Your posts are amusing. You are I are kindred spirits.

Hey, I've got a party coming up in Boca Raton. A bunch of my buddies and I want to go drinking and need to have someone drive the boat for us. Can you do that? I see you mind boats for a living. I'll drop you an email. That would be great.

Okay, Henning, thank you. Yes got it. You want me to be dead. i annoy you. I am truly sorry for that. I on the other hand like you. No, really I do. Your posts are amusing. You are I are kindred spirits.

Hey, I've got a party coming up in Boca Raton. A bunch of my buddies and I want to go drinking and need to have someone drive the boat for us. Can you do that? I see you mind boats for a living. I'll drop you an email. That would be great.

Sure, pay my rate and I'll run your boat, drop a line anytime. I'll even take you to the Bahamas and show you a good time.

Not my real last name. Think I'm that stupid?

You're a friggin' moron, Henning.

Yep, but I'm not an anonymous troll. Most people who lie about their name do so obviously. I was just checking on the basic state of your moral character.

Is it safe to assume that HR departments are automatically suspicious of EE degrees written in crayon?

We can only go by your posts here, and based on those, the answer is yes.

Okay... Do you really think I would post a request about how to handle a rogue DPE and use my real last name? That would NOT be smart! As Henning pointed out, all someone has to do is look me up and then anonymously let the DPE know all about what I am saying about him.

Plenty of people don't use their real names here I see, in this thread. Nothing wrong with that. I was looking for advice, not some pathetic person who has nothing better to do than to look me up and cause sh@# for me.

Flemming is my middle name. My mother is Danish. You clever boys work it out from there.

Okay... Do you really think I would post a request about how to handle a rogue DPE and use my real last name? That would NOT be smart! As Henning pointed out, all someone has to do is look me up and then anonymously let the DPE know all about what I am saying about him.

Plenty of people don't use their real names here I see, in this thread. Nothing wrong with that. I was looking for advice, not some pathetic person who has nothing better to do than to look me up and cause sh@# for me.

Nobody wants to cause **** for you, nobody has to, you are doing an exceedingly good job on your own. BTW, there is a possibility the DPE who failed you is reading this thread. You also added 'paranoid delusional with persecution complex' to your profile.

Were you looking for advice of affirmation?

Last edited:
It's been my experience the DPE and CFI are friends. The DPE knew before he walked in you weren't ready. But sometimes CFI's and DPE's agree to prove it to the applicant. Yours may have done it to you. Until you can prove to your CFI that you are really capable and your slightly nervous to be taking the test you'll fail. Proud of you for being an EE anyone can study books to pass the dribble college exams. The trick to flying is bringing it all together and prove it. I wish you good luck.

I hope the "newbies" reading this thread (if they were willing to read through 11 pages) will do an introduction like the front page requests. We didn't know you from anything else. When you started this posting last night it was your first posts...we've had several trolls amongst us and it's hard to tell so some of us went that route and so we did attack you. I'm sure if you can really digest the advice you'll pass the test no problem.

I've wondered about that too. And have been willing to bet from the get-go that it wasn't really 20 minutes, probably closer to an hour. I don't think any DPE would ever believe anybody so incredibly inept could ever be recommended for a ride.

After 30 minutes or so he would have been pretty sure he was dealing with an immature, emotionally disturbed and totally unqualified candidate and then have spent another half hour with follow-up questions just to be sure that his initial assessment wasn't overly generous.

Nobody wants to cause **** for you, nobody has to, you are doing an exceedingly good job on your own. BTW, there is a possibility the DPE who failed you is reading this thread. You also added 'paranoid delusional with persecution complex' to your profile.

Allow me to make an stretch here and deduce you signed up to the POA board with the intent of getting "advice" on your "situation"...thought to "cleverly" use a name that didn't 100% identify you and even thought out so far ahead as to think someone may know the "rogue" DPE who handed you your as* and let him in on it?

How is that working out for you?

I've wondered about that too. And have been willing to bet from the get-go that it wasn't really 20 minutes, probably closer to an hour. I don't think any DPE would ever believe anybody so incredibly inept could ever be recommended for a ride.

After 30 minutes or so he would have been pretty sure he was dealing with an immature, emotionally disturbed and totally unqualified candidate and then have spent another half hour with follow-up questions just to be sure that his initial assessment wasn't overly generous.

There is also the possibility that our candidate was pressing his CFI to recommend him for his ride since it's likely he has 100hrs now and it's getting pretty expensive. The CFI acquiesced and called the DPE letting him know the scoop and asking him not to hold this student's lack of preparedness against him.

Back