Private checkride went horribly wrong!

Well, back in the old days, all we had was paper, imagine that. Now I have a G-500, a 430w, and an iPad and guess what? I still have a case in the back seat that has all the paper for the country. Yeah, they're not current, but mountains and VORs don't move very frequently nor do airports. Oh yeah, I also have a Rand McNally trucker's atlas for when I'm scooting low enough to read the highway numbers. Seriously, if you can't work a map in the cockpit, your flying skills are lame.

Seriously, if you can't work a map in the cockpit, your flying skills are lame.
Best thing I learned during instrument training was that, barring turbulence, I can totally fly with my feet.

That's what happens when you rely on an iPad...:rofl:
/spit take

You end up at KJXN instead of KJAC? ;)

I have totally accidentally filed ifr using foreflight with the wrong tail number. iPads require more cross check.

The more you write the more I want to commend the DPE for sparing us having to share airspace with you.

I was about to post the same thing. The OP was taught a valuable lesson - so far he hasn't learned it.

The CFI is going to cringe, though, trying to do the next round of checkride prep.

I'm wondering - did your CFI really think you were ready, or did you pressure him into signing you off?

/spit take

You end up at KJXN instead of KJAC? ;)

I have totally accidentally filed ifr using foreflight with the wrong tail number. iPads require more cross check.

So does a 430. I've plugged in a route and looked at my ETA which was 13 hrs more than it should have been, scrolled up on the 500 and found out I had a way wrong waypoint lol, only took one letter to be wrong.

What does lying face down have to do with anything? :dunno:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/prostrate

The more you write the more I want to commend the DPE for sparing us having to share airspace with you.

Yes, it has been established that my spelling is not quite there. And sometimes iPad's substitute the incorrect spelling.

Apologies for my offense.

Moving on... Sadly, you do share your airspace with me. Just because I don't have my ticket doesn't mean I don't fly. I will continue to practice my flying, and will pass my next oral with flying colors because I have learned from all of you, to basically bend over and take it no matter how painful or wrong, because that is what we do as pilots. Then when we have the certificate, we can fly the way we should fly in the 21st century.

So I will see you up in the sky, my friends. Thanks for your support. No really. I did learn a lot from this experience.

See ya

Yes, it has been established that my spelling is not quite there. And sometimes iPad's substitute the incorrect spelling.

Moving on... Sadly, you do share your airspace with me. Just because I don't have my ticket doesn't mean I don't fly. I will continue to practice my flying, and will pass my next oral with flying colors because I have learned from all of you, to basically bend over and take it no matter how painful or wrong, because that is what we do as pilots. Then when we have the certificate, we can fly the way we should fly in the 21st century.

So I will see you up in the sky, my friends. Thanks for your support. No really. I did learn a lot from this experience.

See ya

Then you learned nothing of value.

See ya

And as others have pointed out, without a change of attitude you're likely to become a statistic sooner rather than later. But thanks for the heads-up in the meantime. We will be extra vigilant until we read your NTSB summary.

The hand you bite that feeds you, is attached to the boots that kick you.

Pete, it sounds like you need to work on diplomacy. Even if you're dead right and the other person is wrong, you have to suck it up and kiss that booty to get what you want. Also, many instructor's and examiner's have a military background, and one thing they cannot stand is insubordination. Keep that in mind.

If you are incapable of acquiescing, you're going to have a tough row to hoe.

The hand you bite that feeds you, is attached to the boots that kick you.

Pete, it sounds like you need to work on diplomacy. Even if you're dead right and the other person is wrong, you have to suck it up and kiss that booty to get what you want. Also, many instructor's and examiner's have a military background, and one thing they cannot stand is insubordination. Keep that in mind.

If you are incapable of acquiescing, you're going to have a tough row to hoe.

The acquiescing is the least of his issues.

okay, I hear what you're saying, but I was right and he was wrong. Nobody flies the BS way he was pushing. Do any of you do that paper crap and haul out 100 square feet of paper in the cockpit? And you call ME dangerous and unsafe? While you're folding and unfolding that junk?
I'm with you, that's why we have smart phones/tablets. Hell we have autopilots, why should you even have to do the flying part. I should be able to program the ipad, toss it in the front seat of the plane, it should interface with the autopilot via bluetooth, and what's up with those VOR thingys, never heard of GPS? Protip, next time use a GoPro, I would have loved to see the expression on the DPE's face.

I can't believe they're still taking the bait. Just goes to show what can happen when somebody forgets to arm the moron detector when they take a coffee break.

Holy post Batman......

A 5 page thread in just 10 hours...:dunno::eek::yikes:

I don't agree, I pay for his time to examine me properly. You even say yourself, I pay for the EXAM SLOT. That slot is 2-4 hours. He should have let me fly.

You don't get to fly when you can't make it out of the oral. Your instructor should have explained that to you. The DPE is limited to two examinations per day. You used up one of his slots. Thus you pay.

That said, go ahead and ask for a refund from him when you go up for your retest, and let us know how that goes.

okay, I hear what you're saying, but I was right and he was wrong.

Nobody flies the BS way he was pushing. Do any of you do that paper crap

Ding-Dong, you're wrong. Almost everybody does "that paper crap" to varying extents.

Do I whip out a plotter & whiz wheel to plan XCs? Hell no! :no:. I go on SkyVector or Foreflight and let the computers calculate the distances and headings- and then... I CHECK IT MYSELF.

In Flight? I have an GPS loaded with my flight plan... and every 15 min or so I: check it, cross-check with my mental reckoning, verify against the paper sectional and view out the window and then update position, heading, & time.

Why? Repeat after me: The box is not the one with the Pilot's License.

Computers, iPads, and other gadgets are great- when used properly. And if they don't go on the fritz.

By either not being able to plan a flight without a computer OR not demonstrating sufficient understanding of the underlying concepts and being able to validate/verify the GIGO output (wrong way altitude? *crunch*) from your iPad and plan for electrical problems, YOU have demonstrated an inability to perform adequate preflight preparation as required by the FARs & very poor Aeronautical Decision-Making.

That is why you failed the checkride; not "the DPE failed", YOU failed.

I messed up my cross country flight plan, I had the wrong initial altitude for the direction of flight for the first leg. He said you need to choose the correct altitude based on the initial leg, even though the altitude was correct for the remaining legs. I mean please. I couldn't even climb to my initial altitude anyway before the first way point. Then we had an ongoing fight about retarded paper charts vs iPad's. The old geezer needs to move into the 21st century. And, no, I didn't have this attitude during the exam but right now I'm mad as hell. What kind of idiot uses pencil and paper these days to figure out a crappy inaccurate flight plan, when there are wonderful tools to do all that now?

And his fly was down when he first came in, and I pointed that out. I was doing him a favor. If the prick got all ****y about that, then HE is the one with a problem!
Holy crap. You've got to be a troll. I hope you continue to fail. I don't wish to share the skies with you.

I can't believe they're still taking the bait. Just goes to show what can happen when somebody forgets to arm the moron detector when they take a coffee break.

Think he's a shill?

They don't usually put this much energy into it ... :dunno:

.....But he was so aggressive. I could tell he wanted to fail me right from the beginning. ..?
Dude, YOU were aggressive by recording it.

You doomed yourself to failure from moment zero. He just responded to the attack.

You need to get some help. If you can't tuck your tail down for an exam by a pilot who has 200 times the hours you have.....you need help and not from a CFI.

I messed up my cross country flight plan, I had the wrong initial altitude for the direction of flight for the first leg. He said you need to choose the correct altitude based on the initial leg, even though the altitude was correct for the remaining legs. I mean please. I couldn't even climb to my initial altitude anyway before the first way point. Then we had an ongoing fight about retarded paper charts vs iPad's. The old geezer needs to move into the 21st century. And, no, I didn't have this attitude during the exam but right now I'm mad as hell. What kind of idiot uses pencil and paper these days to figure out a crappy inaccurate flight plan, when there are wonderful tools to do all that now?

And his fly was down when he first came in, and I pointed that out. I was doing him a favor. If the prick got all ****y about that, then HE is the one with a problem!
What was your course when you hit top of climb? That determines the correct hemispheric rule.

Doesn't really matter and no reason to waste energy on him other than in lampoon mode. The only bright spot is that it's hard to find many real-life examples of his level of ignorance to use as an example of all the behavior deficiencies we know about.

Think he's a shill?

They don't usually put this much energy into it ... :dunno:

Doesn't really matter and no reason to waste energy on him other than in lampoon mode. The only bright spot is that it's hard to find many real-life examples of his level of ignorance to use as an example of all the behavior deficiencies we know about.

I'll get laughed at for bringing up Judge Judy, but when you see defiant, disrespectful arrogance by young people to a judge on national TV, it shows a pattern. A disturbing pattern.

My instructor's and examiner's were like God to me. I probably looked like a deer in headlights to them. Coarse, I was only seventeen when I received my ticket. :wink2:

okay, I hear what you're saying, but I was right and he was wrong. Nobody flies the BS way he was pushing. Do any of you do that paper crap and haul out 100 square feet of paper in the cockpit? And you call ME dangerous and unsafe? While you're folding and unfolding that junk?

Probably not 100 square feet, but yes, I always fly with a paper chart and have an iPad as a backup. I also do my planning on paper and use the iPad to confirm my calculations. With your attitude, I hope you are not flying in my neck of the woods. :hairraise:

My charts are folded on the ground for the parts that I will need for that segment.

I'd bet even money that the crusty old DPE could *****-slap him so hard he'd cry and pee down his leg.

I'll get laughed at for bringing up Judge Judy, but when you see defiant, disrespectful arrogance by young people to a judge on national TV, it shows a pattern. A disturbing pattern.

My instructor's and examiner's were like God to me. I probably looked like a deer in headlights to them. Coarse, I was only seventeen when I received my ticket. :wink2:

Ol Pete caught sh-- in this thread, reminds me of the AOPA forums, we all hate.

Smarten up, or this page gets the same rap as the red one got.

Ol Pete brought it all on himself and deserves a lot more than he got. There's a reason mule owners carry 2X4's.

Ol Pete caught sh-- in this thread, reminds me of the AOPA forums, we all hate.

Smarten up, or this page gets the same rap as the red one got.

Best thing I learned during instrument training was that, barring turbulence, I can totally fly with my feet.

Osnap. You've just made me realize that I can arrest with my feet that annoying gradual roll while I'm fumbling with my map with both hands. Thanks! Just in time for my checkride.

For some reason that hadn't occurred to me. I have no idea why, since I know the rudder causes a roll moment.

Osnap. You've just made me realize that I can arrest with my feet that annoying gradual roll while I'm fumbling with my map with both hands. Thanks! Just in time for my checkride.

For some reason that hadn't occurred to me. I have no idea why, since I know the rudder causes a roll moment.

No joke I found this guy who was the yoda of rudder control to fly with me for 3 hours and smack me in the head whenever I reached for the yoke. Worked like a charm.

Whoa!! DANGER Will Robinson!!!

Dude, you have way too much attitude. ALL of my private pilot students must be idiots...because they all learn to do cross country planning using charts, pencils and plotters.

Oh, wait a minute....they've all passed their checkrides. Now who's the idiot??

Somehow I think that word of your attitude was passed along to this DPE long before you ever met him. Could have even been your own CFI. I wouldn't blame him if he did.

JMHO,

Mike
I agree, but what kind of CFI would want to tarnish his record by signing off on this guy for a check ride?

I have read a fair amount of this to have a feel for the waters... I'm surprised that the CFI didn't work with you about the paper/navlog planning issue more clearly.....
You're freaked out and upset and mad. I suggest that now you've vented that you take a week or two to settle down and revisit your concerns including trying to be honest with yourself about what you know you can improve. Then work with your CFI, assuming they haven't been turned off by any attitude you've displayed and are willing to help you finish.

Young men, you're youngish right?, are just full of themselves sometimes... Take a break, step back and try to view the situation through the more experienced eyes of your mentors.

Back