Private airports, cessnas and iPads

Tablets aren't the most durable way to store and retrieve information.

I think it comes down to being the superior product. If you are the best, your product name will become the generic. Coke, Google, iPad and of course....

Cessna.
It comes down to being the product with the most market penetration, not necessarily quality. (It also comes down to policing one's trademarks, but that's a different issue)

Not surprising. Even on a Google campus you'll see a lot of Googlers carrying MacBooks for work. Hardware doesn't get a whole lot of respect there. I suspect they just treat it as a conduit for their software/data.
It's the foreflight, if they made an Android version i bet you'd see more non iPads than ipads in little airplanes.

I would say foreflight is getting kickbacks but pilots probably don't make much of a dent in ipad sales either way. Not sure why foreflight is loyal. Laziness? Pass the hardware expense on to your customers?

I've never heard anyone use "Hershey bar" to refer a candy bar. And while I've read that in some areas people refer to all soft drinks as "coke", I've never actually heard anyone do that (even after living in many places east of the Mississippi and traveling all over the US).

If I ask for a Coke and they give me Pepsi, they're getting back; depending on my mood, maybe in the glass, maybe not.

It's quite common here for someone to say "I'm gonna get a Coke. You want anything?" When they come back, they may have a Coke, Diet Coke or even a Mt. Dew . . . Been that way my whole life, except for those too-long winters I spent in Ohio [the only place I've ever heard people ask for "soda" without also asking for "Scotch"].

The ones that get me are people who ask for Pop....

I'm from the south(ish) and if I want a Pepsi I ask for a Pepsi, if I want a Mnt. Dew I ask for a Mnt. Dew, If I want a Coke check my pulse cause I would die before asking for that garbage.

It's the foreflight, if they made an Android version i bet you'd see more non iPads than ipads in little airplanes.

I would say foreflight is getting kickbacks but pilots probably don't make much of a dent in ipad sales either way. Not sure why foreflight is loyal. Laziness? Pass the hardware expense on to your customers?
I've heard tablet developers say two things. One is that developing for both OSes is difficult because of the differences between them. The second is that with Android being subject to so many manufacturer variations developing an app that will run well in both is difficult. For the most part, an iPad is an iPad is an iPad.

Look at WingX. Years of promises about Android and never anything better than crippleware. For the flip side, you can look at iFly GPS. Excellent EFB which runs great and petty much identically on Android, iOS, Windows and it's own dedicated hardware. But it's a completely different beast. It started before the iPad and, as far as I can tell, they found a way to let their EFB sit on top of the OS rather than being fully integrated into it, which probably made the multi-platform task easier, but has its own drawbacks.

Foreflight was the first of two EFB apps out there when the iPad was still relatively new and an Android tablet was only a "someday we'll have one" idea. A major head start. They shared the earliest market with WingX and as time went on became the predominant EFB in the market. They have the largest market share and and almost a decade of iOS development. They continue to seek out new markets - corporate aviation and international being the latest.

It's not loyalty to Apple. They simply see no business reason to go beyond iOS.

I've never heard anyone use "Hershey bar" to refer a candy bar. And while I've read that in some areas people refer to all soft drinks as "coke", I've never actually heard anyone do that (even after living in many places east of the Mississippi and traveling all over the US).

You need to travel more. ;) I've heard the "Coke" thing in a lot of places, all down south. Hershey Bar isn't really that common any more, because there's a lot more choices when it comes to candy these days than mere chocolate bars.

Your customers have the hardware expense anyway, so that's no different...

But here's the real reason (unofficial, I neither speak nor work for ForeFlight, this is just my observation, etc): First of all, developing for a single platform allows them to focus on delivering new features, rather than delivering the same features on different platforms. You can't just click a button and have your app use one or the other platform*, it's basically an entirely new development effort to put it on a second platform. ForeFlight will not increase their addressable market significantly by going to both platforms, they'll merely allow a bunch of users to switch to Android and they won't make much (if any) more money... So, they'd be doubling development costs in the long term, much more than doubling them in the short term, for little or no gain.

Second, it's somewhat difficult to support a wide range of OS versions even on the same OS. Each OS comes out with new features for both users and developers, and if you want to take advantage of them, that means either that feature won't work with the older OS, or you have to do it a different (more difficult) way to support it in the older OS. Because of the way iOS and Android work for OS upgrades, where the Android ones have to be adopted by the various manufacturers first, Apple's new OS adoption is WAY ahead of Android's, with generally better than 90% penetration of a new OS version within a month. This also makes things WAY easier on developers.

Finally, the limited number of devices available (the iPad line vs. the entire rest of the tablet universe) also makes it much easier to develop for iOS, because there's a limited number of screen sizes to design for, and a limited number of devices that you need to support and test new versions on.

Really, the reason that ForeFlight is such a great product is that they can focus their resources towards making it better and better rather than supporting a billion different devices. Even Garmin, which is a gigantic company in comparison, lags somewhat behind them and doesn't have feature parity between iOS and Android. Given the limited market that is aviation, I doubt a smaller company like ForeFlight would be able to turn much of a profit supporting both.

* Yes, I'm aware that there are app development platforms that allow you to do this, but that extra layer is resource-intensive and doe not work for apps that already require the level of resources that an EFB does.

Back