Preventing a Gear-up Landing

TexasPilot71

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff
Two months ago I formally entered the world of the complex aircraft and received a sign off in the F-33 Bonanza; a truly wonderful airplane and a very proud accomplishment for me. I learned some really great tips and techniques from a pilot with thousands of hours in type. The most noteworthy (to this thread) was aircraft handling and characteristics on final approach with gear down and then also with the gear up. Certain MP nets a certain airspeed and rate of decent with gear down...if the speed is higher, good chance the gear is up. Cool, I thought. Even a silver bullet, maybe?

So a few weeks later I still can't stop talking about the Bonanza. I was having a conversation with my father, a non-pilot, but with a very procedurally-driven personality. We got on the subject of gear-up landings. I told him of all the ways we combat the dreaded gear-up landing which got us discussing why and how they continue to happen. That's when he asked me the question which has somewhat stumped me.

That question was: "WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO DIFFERENTLY IN ORDER TO FURTHER REDUCE AND POSSIBLY PREVENT A GEAR-UP LANDING?"

Good question, I thought. So I would like to ask this online community the same question. What are you doing differently? Acknowledging that there are "those who have and those who will" isn't in my vocabulary. My feeling is if you have that attitude then you most certainly will commit that sin.

You are going to deploy the gear per checklist in a sequence when you have not just deployed flaps. Fortunately your gearspeed is quite a bit higher and more usefull than flap speeds. You'll get quite used to the "whirrrrrr thunk" and the SOUND the air makes in your wheelwells.

Then of course, the ultimate recheck early on final, looking down at the decal on the floor tube.....as well as looking at the light...

1st maintain the gear system. That includes all the various switches that provide gear up warnings.

Once you touch the gear lever, you do not release your grip until you have confirmed the gear is down/locked. Gear down is always checked a 2nd time coming over the fence on short final.

Add sterile cockpit to your procedure before you have entered the pattern/approach.

Last edited:
Once you touch the gear lever, you do not release your grip until you have confirmed the gear is down/locked. Gear down is always checked over the fence a second time on short final.

Agreed, and I definitely do both. But I think most gear-ups happen because the pilot got somehow distracted and forgot to put his hand on the lever in the first place. Those kind of errors are what I think I'm trying to avoid. And yes, I can hear others chiming in about the gear horn. But I also see videos online where the horn is blaring away and the pilot (even two or three pilots) blissfully continue the flare and screeching.

Agreed, and I definitely do both. But I think most gear-ups happen because the pilot got somehow distracted and forgot to put his hand on the lever in the first place. Those kind of errors are what I think I'm trying to avoid. And yes, I can hear others chiming in about the gear horn. But I also see videos online where the horn is blaring away and the pilot (even two or three pilots) blissfully continue the flare and screeching.

I added a 3rd item while you sere posting.

I don't fly a retract, but if I did, I'd give this type gizmo some serious thought:
http://www.p2inc.com/audioadvisory.asp

Another thought: does anybody make a gps that would announce "1000 feet, check landing gear" on the intercom? That could be a lot less costly than the p2.

A buddy of mine was in the Navy. He heard a recording of a pilot screaming that he could barely hear the tower (which was trying to warn him his gear was up) because of the damn buzzer (which was the gear warning)... apparently this sort of problem is going to be with us (to one extent, or another) until they invent a perfect human.

Go thought the GUMPS (Gas on appropriate tank, Under carriage down and locked, Mixture set, Prop set, Safety) check verbally every time regardless of what plane you are flying at. Then verify that you have good lights. If there is any doubt, go around.

1st maintain the gear system. That includes all the various switches that provide gear up warnings.

Once you touch the gear lever, you do not release your grip until you have confirmed the gear is down/locked. Gear down is always checked a 2nd time coming over the fence on short final.

Add sterile cockpit to your procedure before you have entered the pattern/approach.
That's what I do. When flying the company's jets our SOP also requires us to do the same, additionally the PF also points at the gear handle in confirmation after the PNF has made the "Gear - DOWN, 3 GREEN, NO RED" call.

Go thought the GUMPS (Gas on appropriate tank, Under carriage down and locked, Mixture set, Prop set, Safety) check verbally every time regardless of what plane you are flying at. Then verify that you have good lights. If there is any doubt, go around.
You lost me at "regardless of what plane you are flying". Proper use of checklists is the key, but I'm not a fan or proponent of using any checklist - mnemonic or otherwise - on any airplane that it doesn't fit 100%. The problem is that if you're using GUMPS in a fixed gear airplane, you get used to blowing right past the "Gear" part of the check; after all, the gear is "down and welded" on fixed gear airplanes so there’s nothing to do and no response or action is required. Most guys take a couple of hundred hours or more and a few hundred landings before they get their hands on something with retractable gear. That's a long time to be reinforcing that type of “do nothing” response. You don't want to get used to blowing past it in a simple airplane then accidentally blow by it when things start to get busy in the pattern when you’re in a retract. It has happened many times. Nearly 100% of the pilots involved in gear up accidents swear that they put the gear down. I'm sure they probably did say "Gear - Down" and blew through it without checking for the lights and or other indications - a habit that was reinforced by using an inappropriate checklist for hundreds of hours in "simple" airplanes.

Last edited:
He heard a recording of a pilot screaming that he could barely hear the tower (which was trying to warn him his gear was up) because of the damn buzzer (which was the gear warning)... apparently this sort of problem is going to be with us (to one extent, or another) until they invent a perfect human.

I always wondered if it takes the same type of person who drives down the highway for 10 miles (or more) with their turn signal flashing.

"Gear down to go down".

In my airplane, I use the same power settings prior to entering the pattern, or prior to final approach Fix.

When it is time to descend, I lower the gear and touch nothing else. The drag from the extended gear puts me on a perfect slope towards the runway.

Power is not reduced, and flaps not deployed until runway is made.

Because I AM mentally incompetent the gear is checked over and over - on down wind, base leg, final, and again just as I close the throttle to begin rounding out.

Obsessive compulsive?
Yup!

Doesn't mean I can't mess up, but I am trying hard not to.
The absolute best thing for the OP is to make up a check list and follow it like it is a religion.
Go to youtube and watch the UND AEROCAST videos from the University of North Dakota

I think accidental gear ups happen for two reasons. A checklist wasn't followed and we are so used to hearing a warning horn at altitude when practising certain maneuvers that we continue to ignore it on final and dont even question it.

How to change that? Besides absolutely doing a good checklist every time, beats me.

Study the circumstances surrounding gear-up landings by other pilots for a better understanding of how you can get trapped into doing it yourself. You'll see that an inordinate amount occur when a pilot gets "out of sequence" relative to the normal flows. The resulting distractions often lead to some subsequent screw-up that can include the wheels.

A prime example is an unexpected rejected landing due to conflicting traffic or other outside influence. The ensuing go-around isn't an oft-practiced maneuver, and with all the other associated distractions the pilot may or may not retract the gear, and then may or may not extend it for the subsequent landing.

Or the pilot may become confused and mistakenly move the lever from down to up because things are jumbled and he's over his head. In many cases the $$$ pressure of the hobbs meter causes the pilot to want to hurry and stop the bleeding, so that factor must also be recognized.

The obvious answer to most of these situations is to take the necessary time to re-group, take a deep breath and think it through. Then re-enter the pattern or downwind in a normal sequence and follow the checklist with extra care based on the knowledge he's in a highly vulnerable situation.

I'm still new at the retract thing, but I've seen the videos as well, where the gear horn blasts all the way down. My rule for that is, if the horn sounds, the gear goes down. It seems to me to be a truly bad idea to train to ignore an alarm. It can go back up after reviewing why it sounded, if not in the pattern.

I don't see the point of practicing power off stalls with the gear up.

Of course, this is a backup. GUMPS, flow and checklist (yes, all three) is primary.

Last edited:
I GUMP check the heck out my plane. I must do it 3 or 4 times in the pattern. IMO, a lot of gear ups seem to be involved with distractions that disrupt your checklist while in the pattern--just like Jeff stated above.

To add to his comment, I saw a video on youtube of someone landing with the horn blaring and the pilot/passenger being totally oblivious. So, I put no faith in depending on it.

Last edited:
Excellent points, everybody. Thank you! Yes, the GUMPS check...I do it at least on downwind, then again on final. I agree with the suggestions against training to ignore the horn and keeping the warning system maintained. Unfortunately, renting makes that a little more difficult. In my 10+ hours of checkout time, I have yet to hear the horn despite attempts to activate it in flight. Seems there was a problem with it and it wouldn't even activate at 12-13 inches of MP. So I am actually learning NOT to trust the horn and I think that's a pretty good habit. Of course it was squawked and reportedly fixed.

Under what circumstances will the horn activate?
Will the sound and pattern always be the same?
Other than extending the gear, what other action might silence the horn?
What is your sequence for extending flaps and gear, and why?
If you're curious about horn operation, how do you test the various modes in flight?
If you're on short final and hear a horn chirp, is it the gear horn or the stall horn? What might make you suspect either possibility?

I'm still new at the retract thing, but I've seen the videos as well, where the gear horn blasts all the way down. My rule for that is, if the horn sounds, the gear goes down. It seems to me to be a truly bad idea to train to ignore an alarm. It can go back up after reviewing why it sounded, if not in the pattern.

I don't see the point of practicing power off stalls with the gear up.

Since I did my Complex endorsement, when flying a fixed, it's "Gear: Down and welded"

If you're curious about horn operation, how do you test the various modes in flight?
If you're on short final and hear a horn chirp, is it the gear horn or the stall horn? What might make you suspect either possibility?

On the plane I rent, the horn sounds at low throttle only and sounds very different from the stall horn. And the response to either on short final is pretty much the same. Full throttle, nose down, flaps to 20, clean up with positive rate of climb, gear up at 100 AGL if it ever went down.

Gear, then flaps, are used to slow the descent entering the pattern mainly to ensure the gear is down.

This isn't a Bo. it's a Cardinal. It's not all that slippery, and can slow down fairly easily without gear and flaps.

In many airplanes, the gear horn makes the same sound as the stall horn. So you get used to hearing it, and might ignore it at an inopportune time.

I'd like to see the verbal warnings in place. That would be the biggest help in my mind.

Otherwise, having a good procedure/flow and sticking with it are the big ones.

I'd like to see the verbal warnings in place. That would be the biggest help in my mind.

Otherwise, having a good procedure/flow and sticking with it are the big ones.

I curse the member who decided a verbal warning system was needed in one of our mooneys. Imagine being three seconds from greasing it on and this ***** starts yelling STALL!!! STALL!!! STALL!!!

For the gear its not such a bad idea though :)

GUMPS
GUMPS GUMPS
GUMPS GUMPS GUMPS

Gear down
Undercarriage down
Make sure the gear is down
Put the gear down
STUPID!

If the horn sounds and you increase power will the noise stop?

What are the VLO/VLE AND VFO/VFE speeds for the Cardinal?

Can a case be made for use of a single procedure/sequence that works for (almost) all planes?

What speed (+/-) will a "bottom of the green" power setting produce in no-flap level-flight?

On the plane I rent, the horn sounds at low throttle only and sounds very different from the stall horn. And the response to either on short final is pretty much the same. Full throttle, nose down, flaps to 20, clean up with positive rate of climb, gear up at 100 AGL if it ever went down.

Gear, then flaps, are used to slow the descent entering the pattern mainly to ensure the gear is down.

This isn't a Bo. it's a Cardinal. It's not all that slippery, and can slow down fairly easily without gear and flaps.

I curse the member who decided a verbal warning system was needed in one of our mooneys. Imagine being three seconds from greasing it on and this ***** starts yelling STALL!!! STALL!!! STALL!!!

For the gear its not such a bad idea though :)

All depends - the system that we've looked at for the 310 (AoA indicator with verbal warnings) starts out at "getting slow" followed by "too slow." I think it'll be a nice feature to have added.

If you heard her screaming when you were maneuvering in the pattern (ie not 3 seconds from greasing it) you'd probably get concerned and push the nose down.

Because I AM mentally incompetent the gear is checked over and over - on down wind, base leg, final, and again just as I close the throttle to begin rounding out.

Obsessive compulsive?
Yup!

Doesn't mean I can't mess up, but I am trying hard not to.
The absolute best thing for the OP is to make up a check list and follow it like it is a religion.
Go to youtube and watch the UND AEROCAST videos from the University of North Dakota
Rod Machado talks about how a gear up takes the same mental lapse as tuning in the wrong frequency on the radio and recommends paranoia as a solution.

In addition to the multiple checks, etc, IMO the #1 solution is to have a SOP. I have two, one for visual approaches and one for instrument. Within each of those two categories I recommend always put the gear down at exactly the same point on a flight. And it's the same point for all of the retracts I fly.

The #2 solution is, once you find a SOP that works for you, don't mess with it. The idea is to make it a habit.

If you heard her screaming when you were maneuvering in the pattern (ie not 3 seconds from greasing it) you'd probably get concerned and push the nose down.

The system you describe sounds like a better one, but be careful what you wish for. The yelling is really annoying. Frankly the first time I heard it, took awhile to figure out WTF was going on. You know climbing out on a gusty, bumpy summer day when you are getting slammed around and the stall horn goes off occasionally? Combine passengers who are already scared of light planes, turbulence and then throw in someone yelling STALL STALL and see what you get. I'll take the beep from the horn, thanks.

Rod Machado talks about how a gear up takes the same mental lapse as tuning in the wrong frequency on the radio and recommends paranoia as a solution.

In addition to the multiple checks, etc, IMO the #1 solution is to have a SOP. I have two, one for visual approaches and one for instrument. Within each of those two categories I recommend always put the gear down at exactly the same point on a flight. And it's the same point for all of the retracts I fly.

The #2 solution is, once you find a SOP that works for you, don't mess with it. The idea is to make it a habit.
Making a habit of multiple checks might help with a distraction but by definition SOP and significant distractions are pretty much mutually exclusive so I doubt that having one or two SOPs will go far to prevent inadvertent gear ups under abnormal circumstances. That said, I do subscribe to the "gear down to go down" (i.e. to leave the pattern altitude or the published altitude prior your final descent on an approach but I suspect this concept is better at preventing a gear-up under routine conditions (which does account for a significant number of these incidents).

I have equipped my airplane with a verbal gear warning which works three ways, if the existing gear warning is activated a voice continuously screams "Check Gear Down!, Check Gear Down!...") and provided you set the field elevation of your landing airport it prompts you with "Check GUMPS" regardless of the gear position when you drop below 800 AGL (user settable) and goes into the "check gear down" warning if you get below 400 AGL without three green lights. The main downside is that if you are landing somewhere unplanned (there's a distraction right there) and the field elevation is different you might not get any extra warning beyond the verbal callout for original horn circuit.

I do firmly believe that a verbal warning in the headset is far less likely to be ignored than the typical GA gear horn.

The system you describe sounds like a better one, but be careful what you wish for. The yelling is really annoying. Frankly the first time I heard it, took awhile to figure out WTF was going on. You know climbing out on a gusty, bumpy summer day when you are getting slammed around and the stall horn goes off occasionally? Combine passengers who are already scared of light planes, turbulence and then throw in someone yelling STALL STALL and see what you get. I'll take the beep from the horn, thanks.

I've flown with the system Ted described (the manufacturer is nearby and a friend of mine) and even when the air is turbulent enough to blip the stall horn fairly often it's not much of a distraction. For one thing, unlike the switch, it doesn't cry wolf the instant a briefly high AoA exists as there's a delay that's somewhat a function of how close to stall you're getting. In addition, while the voice gets fairly insistent when you get to the "Too Slow" announcement, the "Getting Slow" isn't as annoying as a stall horn both from an intensity and a connotation perspective.

BTW, I've been trying to convince the manufacturer to add a verbal gear warning feature but he's been reluctant to do so out of a fear that this might require a STC.

In the pattern:

Midfield downwind: Put gear down, check gear light, verbalize, "gear down."
Abeam the numbers: One notch of flaps, check gear light, verbalize, "gear down."
Base Turn: Second notch of flaps, check gear light, verbalize, "gear down."
Final: Third notch of flaps, check gear light, verbalize, "gear down."
Over the fence: Final trim setting, check gear light, verbalize, "gear down."
Over the numbers: Check gear light, verbalize, "gear down, gear down, gear down."

Visiual straight in approach:
TPA: Slow to 130ish, put gear down, check gear light, verbalize, "gear down."
Slow to 100ish, one notch of flaps, check gear light, verbalize, "gear down."
Two notches flaps, check gear light, verbalize, "gear down."
Third notch of flaps, check gear light, verbalize, "gear down."
Remainder is as above.

Instrument approach:
FAF: Put gear down, check gear light, verbalize, "gear down."
One notch flaps when speed appropriate, check gear light, verbalize, "gear down."
Second notch flaps, check gear light, verbalize, "gear down."
Break out, check gear light, verbalize, "gear down."
Final notch of flaps, check gear light, verbalize, "gear down."
Remainder as above.

Good advise above. GUMPS isn't really appropriate on many planes. I don't change mixture/prop and can't put on lights until gear is down, but used it for years in the 58P.
I use gear down to go down in a pattern and gear down at FAF on instruments. The ony time I've ever almost errored was when keeping speed up for jet traffic behind me. Didn't lower the gear when I normally do, and didn't keep it on the check list. I also check again on short final with completion being: the plane is ready to land, or XXX what ever to go (like full flaps to go).

Best,

Dave

That sounds to me like a human factors failure, namely a lack of training on the new system. So of course that will be annoying and confusing if you don't know it's there or when to expect it.

As far as the scaring passengers bit, that's another human factors question. Sterile cockpit is beneficial, especially with non-pilot passengers.

Any verbal warning can have negatives. The GPWS in the Commander would always compalin "sink rate" because we would routinely descend at 1,000-2,000 FPM. But it would've caught my attention if I'd not been expecting it. I'd imagine that in my aforementioned scenario (too slow in the pattern) you'd probably pay attention and be glad it was there.

I've never liked the horn, especially on a retract. Gear and stall horns sound pretty much identical, and that can have some confusion during a time when one should not be confused. A loud horn isn't comforting to passengers, either.

I have equipped my airplane with a verbal gear warning which works three ways, if the existing gear warning is activated a voice continuously screams "Check Gear Down!, Check Gear Down!...") and provided you set the field elevation of your landing airport it prompts you with "Check GUMPS" regardless of the gear position when you drop below 800 AGL (user settable) and goes into the "check gear down" warning if you get below 400 AGL without three green lights. The main downside is that if you are landing somewhere unplanned (there's a distraction right there) and the field elevation is different you might not get any extra warning beyond the verbal callout for original horn circuit.

I do firmly believe that a verbal warning in the headset is far less likely to be ignored than the typical GA gear horn.

Lance, do you have a link to this system? I'd be interested.

For one thing, unlike the switch, it doesn't cry wolf the instant a briefly high AoA exists as there's a delay that's somewhat a function of how close to stall you're getting.

Sounds like a much better system. The one in the mooney is basically just a recording wired to the stall switch.

In my Cessna, a 182RG, the horn will activate when below a certain MP (about 15 IIRC), if more than 25* of flaps are extended with the gear being UP, or if you put the handle in the up position while on the ground.
Silencing the horn would occur either by increasing the MP, or reducing the flaps if it's that slow.
My sequence is put gear down abeam the numbers on downwind or depending on the approach the FAF or IAF, normally the IAF, and the first notch of flaps go with it. The gear and flaps balance each other out and don't require a trim change, also the speed is 140 for both.
Press the light.
They're different horns.

I have noticed though that if you let it honk for a long time (Steep spiral long) it gets "tired" and goes from a very fast beep to a much slower one eventually going to a horrible static noise. The reason I typed all that out is because all of those things play a part in me putting the gear down. Also, the fact I have a Cessna makes a glance out the window a great reminder. Heck, I'll look out the window as I'm crossing the numbers just to make sure one more time. I'm surprised the Cardinal isn't more "slippery" per this thread, because I can't do less than 110 without the horn going off for MP. I was always afraid of leaving it up on power off 180's so after I pulled the power my hand went to the gear lever.

Stated differently, is it true that with more than approach flaps extended the horn on your plane cannot be silenced without extending the gear?

In my Cessna, a 182RG, the horn will activate when below a certain MP (about 15 IIRC), if more than 25* of flaps are extended with the gear being UP, or if you put the handle in the up position while on the ground.
Silencing the horn would occur either by increasing the MP, or reducing the flaps if it's that slow.
My sequence is put gear down abeam the numbers on downwind or depending on the approach the FAF or IAF, normally the IAF, and the first notch of flaps go with it. The gear and flaps balance each other out and don't require a trim change, also the speed is 140 for both.
Press the light.
They're different horns.

I have noticed though that if you let it honk for a long time (Steep spiral long) it gets "tired" and goes from a very fast beep to a much slower one eventually going to a horrible static noise. The reason I typed all that out is because all of those things play a part in me putting the gear down. Also, the fact I have a Cessna makes a glance out the window a great reminder. Heck, I'll look out the window as I'm crossing the numbers just to make sure one more time. I'm surprised the Cardinal isn't more "slippery" per this thread, because I can't do less than 110 without the horn going off for MP. I was always afraid of leaving it up on power off 180's so after I pulled the power my hand went to the gear lever.

I've heard discussions - no cites, just hearsay - that a significant number of gear ups are from a disruption in your normal procedures or flow - like in go-arounds for a number of reasons. Biggest takeaway point I got from those is if there's not a good reason for retracting the gear on a go-around, then don't.

I'm surprised the Cardinal isn't more "slippery" per this thread, because I can't do less than 110 without the horn going off for MP. I was always afraid of leaving it up on power off 180's so after I pulled the power my hand went to the gear lever.

I have 45 fewer horses than you do. And the gear warning goes off at 12 inches in the Cardinal.

It's a mechanical throttle position switch, so the warning silences as soon as the throttle goes in, regardless of whether or not the engine responds.

If I'm descending slow enough where the gear warning is a factor, I have a reason for it. Generally flying below Class B several miles from the airport, with a lot of 172 traffic in the flyway. In which case, putting the gear down early really doesn't hurt. It will waste a bit of fuel, but that's a whole lot better than a gear-up from training away the warning.

You are going to deploy the gear per checklist in a sequence when you have not just deployed flaps. Fortunately your gearspeed is quite a bit higher and more usefull than flap speeds. You'll get quite used to the "whirrrrrr thunk" and the SOUND the air makes in your wheelwells.

Then of course, the ultimate recheck early on final, looking down at the decal on the floor tube.....as well as looking at the light...

That's exactly what I do. I consider lowering the gear to be the deployment of the first set of flaps.

Back