Prescription sunglasses

injb

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
jb
I discovered at my recent medical exam that I have to wear glasses while flying. It caught me by surprise because I don't normally wear them for anything. But luckily I went to see an optometrist last year and got glasses to help me with target shooting, so that saved me some hassle in the exam :)

I haven't tried flying with my plain glasses, but I imagine not having sunglasses would be a huge problem. So I'm going to get prescription sunglasses. Anyone have any recommendations on where to buy them online? I did some searching here and someone mentioned zennioptical.com. They seem reasonable enough, but I just wanted to see what other suggestions people have. Thanks!

PS. Not sure if it makes any difference but my prescription is for moderate astigmatism only so I only need single vision.

Be careful about polarized glasses. Some people have issues seeing avionics with them. I had a big problem with this but they were really cheap ~$25 polarized glasses, but expensive ones might be better.

Be careful about polarized glasses. Some people have issues seeing avionics with them. I had a big problem with this but they were really cheap ~$25 polarized glasses, but expensive ones might be better.

Good point...I discovered that myself a few weeks ago. I have been wearing a cheap pair of sunglasses that I assumed were just tinted. During the final checks before takeoff one day I asked my instructor why the transponder was turned off. He replied, it's not - you have polarized glasses. I took them off and looked at the fine print along the edge, and sure enough he was right. I literally could not see anything on the transponder display with those glasses on.

I have gradually tinted sunglasses so I can see the panel. I wish someone would make bifocal sunglasses with the reading part totally clear. But this is the best I can find. I have the expensive metal frames. Pretty indistructable. I sat on a pair and totally squashed them, lenses came out. They were able to bend them back. Some kind of unobtainium.

The lenses that change tint with sunlight didnt work very well inside a car or airplane. There may be new ones that do work better. Not sure about that one.

I converted to Zenni and have been very satisfied. My G430W and G327 transponder are clearly readable through my brown polarized lenses, from both my previous eye doctor and from Zenni. If your avionics aren't compatible, then don't get them. Transition lenses don't change at all in the car, but do some in the plane.

If you really need glasses, keep a spare set in the plane for those times you takeoff after work with your sunglasses on, then it gets dark and your glasses are in your car . . . Ask me how I know. :eek:

Scheyden flip-ups. Not cheap but very well made. I only need them for distance and I can angle them almost closed so that I can see the panel under them and still spot traffic outside.

1. See an opthamologist next time, or at least sometimes.

2. For single vision, buy anywhere.

3. For astigmatism, multi-focal, or a more complex prescription, get a referral to a non-chain optician, a mom and pop that's been around a while, and might actually fit them properly. Most people's heads, faces, and eyes ain't symmetrical. Depending on the state you live in, the dispensing optician may be trained and licensed (states where the opthamologist lobby is stronger), or the dispensing optician can be anyone off the street (states where the optometrists have sway)

4. You can have an old pair of lenses dyed to 11% grey, save a few $$$.

5. Multi focals can impede peripheral vision acutity a bit; not a big deal, but you gotta learn to move your head a bit more.

6. You can but slip-overs, but the polarization can render some displays invisible, or at least difficult to perceive, as can any polarized lense.

No ! Save your money to give to your flight instructor instead. Just get those big oversized sunglasses that you wear over your regular glasses. You see seniors wearing these down here in Florida all the time. Chics dig em ! Throw in a metal detector and a pair of Bermuda shorts and you're all set !!!

Photochromatic prescription glasses from costco, working very well here

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I use polarized progressive leses in my Transitions everyday glass and dark sunglasses. No problem with current glass screens or water landings on floats. I buy mine from my eye doc.

I have gradually tinted sunglasses so I can see the panel. ...
This. Especially in something like a 182 with a high panel, looking at instruments through a tinted lens is not optimum.

I was not very successful hunting for gradual tints a few years ago, but I stumbled across this: Most plastic lenses are tinted by immersing them in tinted near-boiling water. There is also a product called a "neutralizer" that is a bleach for the tints. So I got some neutralizer (a little hard to find) and I bleached out the bottom half of a couple of pairs of standard sunglass lenses, leaving a gradient towards the center. It's a bit of a PITA since you have to hold the lenses half-immersed in hot neutralizer for 10 minutes or more and move them up and down a bit to create the gradient, but the result is really great. A completely clear view of the instruments and sunglasses for looking outside.

I went to the local Pearle Vision and bought a cheapo pair. Make sure you get non polarized lenses as they have a tendency to mess up your view of the instruments.

I got prescription sunglasses that were polarized by mistake, and have had no trouble with GNS430, GTN650, or 496, but I have had issues with a GNS530. I was actually surprised when I got in that airplane. My next set will be unpolarized.

It's all a matter of the polarization direction. I had some that seemed to be on a 45-degree angle or something once. The displays were dim but I could cock my head slightly to read them.

I second Zinni. I keep a dedicated pair in the plane, a 414812 frame ($9.95) with a bifocal prescription with line ($46), Gradient Lens Tint Amber ($7.95), Oleophobic (oil and fingerprint resistant) premium anti-reflective coating ($14.95), for an out the door price of $76.

I converted to Zenni and have been very satisfied. My G430W and G327 transponder are clearly readable through my brown polarized lenses, from both my previous eye doctor and from Zenni. If your avionics aren't compatible, then don't get them. Transition lenses don't change at all in the car, but do some in the plane.

If you really need glasses, keep a spare set in the plane for those times you takeoff after work with your sunglasses on, then it gets dark and your glasses are in your car . . . Ask me how I know. :eek:

I used sunglasses with reading lenses built in. When I had to switch to real glasses I got transitions and like them. I have lined bifocals. I do my work on a laptop so my reading lenses are set for about a 2' distance which looks out well for my yoke mounted ipad and the panel is clear as well.

Gary

I second Zinni. I keep a dedicated pair in the plane, a 414812 frame ($9.95) with a bifocal prescription with line ($46), Gradient Lens Tint Amber ($7.95), Oleophobic (oil and fingerprint resistant) premium anti-reflective coating ($14.95), for an out the door price of $76.

Quite a few votes for Zenni it seems. I think I will go with them - since I probably won't know what's ideal until I have a bit more experience, and they're a pretty small investment all things considered.

Does "gradient lens" mean that it's less tinted at the bottom of the lens? Is that a compromise when it comes to the glare of the sun? My near vision is good, even uncorrected, so I'm really more worried about being blinded by a low sun than not being able to read the instruments.

I bought 2 pair of single vision brown sunglasses, and one pair of transition lenses that get dark outside (also in brown) with the oleophobic coating for $200 (half my cost of the last pair of glasses I bought from the eye doctor after insurance paid their part). And they are pretty good, too. Good quality, great optics.

No ! Save your money to give to your flight instructor instead. Just get those big oversized sunglasses that you wear over your regular glasses. You see seniors wearing these down here in Florida all the time. Chics dig em ! Throw in a metal detector and a pair of Bermuda shorts and you're all set !!!

The shorts are only allowed if worn with black socks. Extra points for sandles with them.

Bob

My last prescription sunglasses were gradient. I had no prior experience with gradient and found them annoying.

Another vote for non-polarized because sometimes the first indication of traffic is when the brief glint of sunlight off their windscreen catches your eye.

Another vote for non-polarized because sometimes the first indication of traffic is when the brief glint of sunlight off their windscreen catches your eye.
I understand the concern, but without polarization it's just as likely that the brief glint of reflected sunlight will be obscured by the glare and reflection in your own windshield.

I much prefer polarized sunglasses for both driving and flying. I wear prescription specs, and while clip-ons over them look cheesy, they're quicker and less distracting to use, than changing from one pair of glasses to another.

The issue with instruments with polarized lenses is a valid point. I have no problem with the ancient steam gauges and avionics in my airplane. The iPhone (my primary Foreflight tool) is unaffected in any direction, and the iPad is only affected when turned horizontal.

I wanted glass lenses cause I scratch plastic so bad. Found Hidalgo'so and they could get a prescription glass for Randolph Engineering Aviators. Hope I never loose them.

I understand the concern, but without polarization it's just as likely that the brief glint of reflected sunlight will be obscured by the glare and reflection in your own windshield.

I much prefer polarized sunglasses for both driving and flying. I wear prescription specs, and while clip-ons over them look cheesy, they're quicker and less distracting to use, than changing from one pair of glasses to another.

The issue with instruments with polarized lenses is a valid point. I have no problem with my ancient steam gauges. The iPhone (my primary Foreflight tool) is unaffected in any direction, and the iPad is only affected when turned horizontal.

My LCD screens turn black with polarization.

Photochromatic prescription glasses from costco, working very well here

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Except Costco can't do non-polarized. My clear lens are from Costco, but the sunglasses I use for flying had to be done by the local-owned shop that could do non-polarized.

Except Costco can't do non-polarized. My clear lens are from Costco, but the sunglasses I use for flying had to be done by the local-owned shop that could do non-polarized.
I actually don't know if mine in polarized or not, I am guessing it is. nonetheless, no issues looking at avionics or reading what the tell me. I shud say, I don't "need" glass, not required in my medical, but wearing one for as long as I can remember, its more of a comfort now.

You can buy those for $15 at Walgreens. Totally adequate, as long as they aren't polarized.

I actually don't know if mine in polarized or not, I am guessing it is. nonetheless, no issues looking at avionics or reading what the tell me. I shud say, I don't "need" glass, not required in my medical, but wearing one for as long as I can remember, its more of a comfort now.
If you can read that G1000, it's not polarized.

Borrow a nonpilot buddy's pair and you'll see what I mean. Subtle as a sledgehammer to the face.

Zenni sells cheaply made products shipped directly from China as far as I know, but they are good for a backup/emergency pair.

I got a pair of normal brand-name sunglasses with prescription lenses, rather than frames specifically meant for prescriptions. I prefer this greatly because often normal sunglasses have more of a curved shape which helps keep the sun out of the eyes from more angles. Mine came from ezcontactsusa.com. Click the Sunglasses tab and then check the "Prescription Ready" box. My prescription is about 1.75 diopter of cylinder (astigmatism correction) and 1.0 diopter of sphere (nearsightedness correction) and the curved lenses give me no issues whatsoever.

If your prescription is moderately strong you are more limited and will have to stick with flat lenses.

Last edited:
Nowadays Luxottica owns a massive amount of brand names and a huge chunk of the eyeglasses industry.

I prefer to use a very solid eye doc who has his own practice, but frankly, he's trapped in Luxottica land and here's the deal with that.

Get a great doc to do a prescription. Ask specifically for the prescription for the lenses AND your facial measurements. This last part is the "gotcha" if you try to buy online. Most retailers will hand you your prescription and won't even bother to DO the facial measurements until you sit down with a nice technician after seeing the doc to "get fitted" for your chosen frames.

Any good frame and lens lab can do this "fitting" IF you have the facial measurements. Without it, you'll likely have a less than optimal result.

I love my eye doc, but he's making the bucks on the frame and lens lab work markup. And without a frame purchase his staff will get a little cagey about just doing the facial measurements needed.

So... it's a catch-22. Want him doing the work on figuring out the eyeballs because he's figured out some really annoying quirks of my prescription in the past that nobody else took the time to do. But hate being trapped in the frames and lab he uses.

In the end, I just have to be forceful about it. I'll get frames and lenses from him every so often and I want to custom order backup pairs and specialty stuff elsewhere. He and his staff don't argue too much with that.

That said, someone mentioned Scheyden. Their lab work was stellar and the frames are top notch.

The only higher quality frames I have ever had were Oakley before they were sucked into Luxottica as a long time hold-out.

As one old ham radio buddy who worked IN one of the labs told me once, when I asked him how he had like ten pair of glasses, all customized for different activities... he said, "That's easy, I get them at cost. You're paying retail. And then I do my own lab work. I didn't pay more than $200 for all ten of these.

Oh. Polarized. I just say no. More trouble than they're worth unless I'm going boating or fishing.

I do like transitions but ask for them to be darker than normal (slight grey indoors) and the chemistry that changes quicker... not cheap, but they do change a bit more in UV protected environments like cars and airplanes.

I also eschew the anti-fingerprint/anti-smudge coating. I find it just makes them more difficult to clean, personally.

I also like to be slightly overcorrected. Just a smidge. I like reading roadsigns further away than I should by just a touch.

And my daily drivers are the newer progressives that give a larger midrange in the center and are adjusted to my computer monitor distance. It seems to work out well with that and flying. The panel is right, the stuff in my lap is right, and the stuff out the window is right. Traditional progressives bugged me more. The optical distortion out the sides of the ones that push the middle a bit, bothers me less than the traditional gradiation when working at computers, and I never got into the habit of switching to the dedicated computer glasses in single vision and then back to progressives for everything else, even when I hung the single visions from the monitor.

39dollarglasses.com cheap enough that you can play around with lenes and frames till you get it right. Does not matter what deal for second pair free glasses from the mall glasses shops it will always cost you $300 dollars by the time you leave

Agree on the flip-up route, as seen here:

8294451946_156f4dc021.jpg

I get mine at Walmart. Under $10.

I like the fact that on moderately bright days I can adjust them around halfway down, so that the outside view is dimmed, but the panel is not. That also takes care of any polarization issues.

As an aside, those are progressive bifocals, and they work well for me.

Last edited:
I wear a billed hat for direct sun problems and a prescription bifocals that change to a darker tint that I got at my eye doctor's office.

I have never had a problem with seeing the instruments or out of the plane except directly at the sun. I also have a tinted visor overhead that I can adjust as needed.

If you are getting them at your doctor's office, they should be able to understand your needs if you discuss your situation. If not, get another doctor.

I knew someone was going to repeat this claim. I call bullpoop on it. The glint thing has never been shown to be true. It's clear what gives you the best shot at seeing traffic is CONTRAST and polarized lenses indeed help with that.

Something doesn't make sense. My everyday glasses are scrip, progressive correction, Transitions for tinting, and are polarized 100% of the time. I've never met an instrument I couldn't read. I do have a pair of Maui Jims that make a Garmin AERA screen look darker than normal but that goes away if I tilt my head a little.

Something doesn't make sense. My everyday glasses are scrip, progressive correction, Transitions for tinting, and are polarized 100% of the time. I've never met an instrument I couldn't read. I do have a pair of Maui Jims that make a Garmin AERA screen look darker than normal but that goes away if I tilt my head a little.

Same here. All my prescription sunglasses are polarized because I use them for sailing. I don't have a G500 or G1000 equipped plane, but I have never had any trouble with my 530/430 combo, the iPad running FF or my portable Garmin GPS screen.

I have had to tilt my head on occasion to read the GPS screens on some sailboats, so I know the glasses are indeed polarised.

Back