Prescription sunglasses

1. See an opthamologist next time, or at least sometimes.

2. For single vision, buy anywhere.

3. For astigmatism, multi-focal, or a more complex prescription, get a referral to a non-chain optician, a mom and pop that's been around a while, and might actually fit them properly. Most people's heads, faces, and eyes ain't symmetrical. Depending on the state you live in, the dispensing optician may be trained and licensed (states where the opthamologist lobby is stronger), or the dispensing optician can be anyone off the street (states where the optometrists have sway)

4. You can have an old pair of lenses dyed to 11% grey, save a few $$$.

5. Multi focals can impede peripheral vision acutity a bit; not a big deal, but you gotta learn to move your head a bit more.

6. You can but slip-overs, but the polarization can render some displays invisible, or at least difficult to perceive, as can any polarized lense.

I have a number of issues with my eyes, and I go to an optometrist. He's approaching his 70th birthday, and is one of those rare people who has a lifetime of experience but a forward looking attitude. He fitted me with contact lenses and I'm seen better than I have in years. I've been to plenty of opthamologists, and none of them ever put as much effort into an eye exam as this man did. Most of them are too busy to spend the amount of time with a patient as I needed.

I discovered at my recent medical exam that I have to wear glasses while flying. It caught me by surprise because I don't normally wear them for anything. But luckily I went to see an optometrist last year and got glasses to help me with target shooting, so that saved me some hassle in the exam :)

I haven't tried flying with my plain glasses, but I imagine not having sunglasses would be a huge problem. So I'm going to get prescription sunglasses. Anyone have any recommendations on where to buy them online? I did some searching here and someone mentioned zennioptical.com. They seem reasonable enough, but I just wanted to see what other suggestions people have. Thanks!

PS. Not sure if it makes any difference but my prescription is for moderate astigmatism only so I only need single vision.

I wear prescription bifocals, tinted on top with the bifocals clear. Polarized is a problem for me using an Avidyne 540. I also carry a pliable tinted spot plastic shield that adheres to the plexiglas windows to place over the sun either early or late in the day when flying directly at it. Sometimes pretty handy.

AOPA used to give out those "sunspots" (transparent colorform sunshades) at the shows. It was a more useful giveaway than the stupid hats (which never fit anyhow).

Looks li
I knew someone was going to repeat this claim. I call bullpoop on it. The glint thing has never been shown to be true. It's clear what gives you the best shot at seeing traffic is CONTRAST and polarized lenses indeed help with that.

Contrast is important. I got a color, brownish sort of, that definitely helps. Still won't use polarized for reason mentioned.

My LCD screens turn black with polarization.
Go buy an 'anti-glare' (NOT clear or HD) screen protector for a large tablet, cut it to the size of your lcd and stick it on. You may have to order one online, it seems most of the traditional stores only carry clear.

So far this has always cured the polarization problem on my lcd when using polarized lenses.

I thought about this thread a few days ago while at my local avionics shop. I played with Dynon, Garmin, Aspen, and JPI instrument displays while wearing polarized glasses. Not a hint of a problem.

I've had non polarized Scheydens for many years, but non prescription. They do offer them in prescription lenses.

Back