preflight question from The Wife

Don't forget to have her kiss the prop spinner before embarking!

Don’t forget to wash the bugs off the spinner when you put the plane to bed, so she kisses a clean spinner. :)

"Do the children know where the will and the insurance papers are?" ;)

“Why is this passenger seat belt adjusted for a skinnier person?”

To which the wise husband replies, "I set it to what I thought was your size, dear."
“That’s the size you were when we got married” the wrong answer?

And the wise husband always let's his wife figure out the W&B numbers....

my CFI was more sensitive about her weight that I thought (but she had absolutely no reason to think she was overweight). I was doing a W&B, and she said 127lb. I wrote 135 to account for clothing etc. She said 127lb. And I said I'm just making sure to account for... she said 127lb. Ok, I was a little slow... so I wrote 127lb for her weight (and then added 8 pounds to mine).

Anyone think that 135lbs is too heavy for a women that is 5' 9"?

:) Well clearly she did, and that's probably all that matters. I don't quite understand the theory, but a friend of mine said that "all women are either overweight, or think they are."

Mine looked at all the little green arrows on my ADS-b feed and thought they were all headed towards us. It didn't seem to help even after I explained that A - they were miles away (she had it zoomed out to see our destination) and B - green is good, the red ones are the ones to worry about and it wasn't even a worry because we were on flight following. The straw that broke the camel's back was when I stupidly pointed out the plane flying next to us inbound to the parallel runway as something I thought was cool. She hasn't flown with me since. :(

So "let's see if we can find the airport?" Is the wrong thing to say at night?

So "let's see if we can find the airport?" Is the wrong thing to say at night?

that's probably better than "where the heck is the airport?"

Just one thus far...your wife.

There are truly touchy subjects...

clarification - I'm single. It was my CFI that was apparently touchy about her weight.

What ever you do, never say " Oh Sh#t " during the flight.
Ask me how I know this. :)

I think my wife's top 3 preflight question are:

3. Who is doing the pre-flight?
2. Who is flying?
1. Who is buying fuel?

Anyone think that 135lbs is too heavy for a women that is 5' 9"?

Since you are single, then you must know the 4 questions to NEVER ask a woman.

1. How old are you.??

2. How much do you weigh.??

3. Is that your natural hair color.??

4. (and this is VERY important, trust me on this one) Are those real.??

Well, since she was my CFI, I'm quite confident that she knew we needed to document the W&B, including her weight.

I don't get this sensitivity about weight and age among women, and I say that even though I've been overweight from time to time. It would never occur to me to lie about my weight to a pilot, just as it would never occur to me to lie about my age. (Of course, unlike some women, I spent much of my early life looking older than I was and most of my life looking younger, so telling people my age always gets a satisfyingly surprised reaction). I also don't dye my gray hair and wouldn't consider a facelift--I've earned every gray hair and wrinkle!!

Any time this subject comes up, I remember a hilarious (to me) incident I observed in Alaska. I was staying at a park facility on a lake, and people had to be brought in and out by seaplane. One of the regular runs was a single-engine Otter that could carry about 8 people, IIRC, but of course the pilot had to be careful of the W&B. There was a big scale (the kind with a big platform and an upright dial) at the landing place, and he made all the pax get on the scale. One woman absolutely refused to get on the scale. She kicked up such a fuss that pretty soon everyone was watching. She finally got on the scale because it came down to her or the pilot, and you know who's going to win that one. But now everyone knew her weight, whereas if she'd just done it, no one would have noticed (she wasn't overweight). It was quite entertaining.

It does bug me, however, when a man refers to his wife as "the wife". Which wife, I ask?

My wife reluctantly revealed her weight but only after some coaxing with me explaining the importance. Just when I thought the worst part was over, she couldn't buckle in! It was an agonizingly awkward moment before I remembered that in this plane, if the seat is too far forward, the straps are not long enough to allow the buckle to latch :)

It does bug me, however, when a man refers to his wife as "the wife". Which wife, I ask?

Well, in English, usually the definite article proceeds a singular object and an indefinite proceeds a plural. I think being "the wife" of my husband is much more preferable than being "a wife" of his. I'm not experienced with being one of many wives, but being the only one is pretty awesome, and I don't think it'd be so great to share. ;) :D

How about "my wife" or even better, "Sarah (or whatever her name is), my wife". But I won't belabor the point.

Well, in English, usually the definite article proceeds a singular object and an indefinite proceeds a plural.

It depends. Sometimes it's short for "the wife who.....", as opposed to "the wife who....(something else)"

It depends. Sometimes it's short for "the wife who.....", as opposed to "the wife who....(something else)"

On technical grounds, my point still stands. Even if it's short for "the wife who wears a pink mink coat in July" as opposed to "the wife who goes skinny dipping in Alaska in February", it is still referring to a singular object.

I actually don't know why I'm bothering to belabor my point. LOL I'm pretty sure the only person who'd ever have to worry about this question is your husband! :)

ETA: There's also the point to be made that the OP capitalized "The Wife", which means it designates a name or proper noun...

I think I should go to bed now. :cool:

Last edited:
For W&B purposes I THINK I know about what my wife weighs, but she sure as heck doesn't let me see the scale at the doctor's office. Given that it is typically only the two of us in the plane and the plane is several hundred pounds under max gross, even with full tanks, regardless of which plane in the club we take, I really don't care.

As far as my wife being the co-pilot is concerned, I bought her the AOPA tape (yep, that old) when I first got my certificate and she hasn't blown the shrink wrap on it yet. Due to medical issues she would be unable to get a 3rd class medical, so that has never come up. Now, when it comes to navigating across the state, GPS couldn't do a better job. She'll have the sectional in her lap and if I ask where we are she'll point to a place that is exactly where we are. Even if she hadn't been paying attention. And it will agree with my own navigation just fine.

Back