• Other

Votes: 5 13.5%

• Total voters

Challenged

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Challenged
What's your preferred control mechanism for throttle, etc..., if you have one?

Quadrant 100%. I feel like a mad scientists when I'm turning those little knobs. I've heard people complain about it being more difficult to set man press, fuel flow, leaning, etc. with a quadrant vs vernier, and I guess there is some truth to that.. but I still prefer an actual throttle

Doesn't matter at all. I feel like I have a little more control with vernier controls, but it doesn't even occur to me to care either way.

Quadrants in AG5Bs interfere w leg/knee room. Vernier in AA5Bs don’t.

Why would you assume people would want the same for all three? Vernier throttles are awkward.

Why would you assume people would want the same for all three? Vernier throttles are awkward.
I thought I was the only one who ever wondered why we don't have vernier for mixture / prop but standard quadrant for throttle. I kind of assumed it was for the whole CRAM go around thing to make it easy to jam all 3 in at once

Quadrant. With "push/pull" types, prefer a vernier over the friction lock type though some types will tell you a vernier on a throttle is a no-no. Never had any issue with mine.

As long as it doesn’t have the old style ‘push-pull’ type mixture. Always hated those.

Quadrant. With "push/pull" types, prefer a vernier over the friction lock type though some types will tell you a vernier on a throttle is a no-no. Never had any issue with mine.
I’m one of those types.

I hate vernier throttles in tailwheel airplanes.

I hate vernier throttles, quardrants are second worst. Plain old push/pull throttles for me.

Quadrant hands down. For that brief moment on touch and goes when i get to push the levers forward I feel like a fighter pilot turning on the AB.

That reverie is quickly broken by a sputtering 160hp 4 cylinder and my student vearing off to the side of the runway.

My favorite arrangement is the Beech 18/DC-3 quadrant. Fits my hand perfectly and I can apply differential thrust during taxi just by twisting my wrist.

In singles, if it doesn’t have a stick with throttle quadrant on the left side I prefer the early Cessna style push pull with the big ball that fits in the palm of your hand for the throttle.

I’m one of those types.

I hate vernier throttles in tailwheel airplanes.
I think it just depends on the type of aircraft for that one. American Champion series are very comfortable to fly having that throttle lever right next to you. In a Cessna 180 or something of that flavor, the vernier style just makes sense, but I can see where you’re coming from.

I don't care, as long as the plane responds how I want it to I'm good.

I do have students who prefer one over the other, just like some prefer low wing vs high wing. Whatever. :dunno:

Depends on the plane

For a sporty little acro plane or a tandem I'll take a quadrant

For a side by side plane that's not going to be doing loops or anything knobs are fine too and take up less space.

I thought I was the only one who ever wondered why we don't have vernier for mixture / prop but standard quadrant for throttle. I kind of assumed it was for the whole CRAM go around thing to make it easy to jam all 3 in at once
I'm building an RV-14 and I am leaning toward this arrangement. Vernier mixture so I can lean precisely even in turbulence (the long slow pull to find the leanest cylinder is nearly impossible to do smoothly if you have a quadrant and the air is not perfectly smooth). Vernier prop because it's mostly a set-and-forget thing, with occasional adjustments that I don't mind reaching forward for. And a lever for the throttle because that's the one you need to keep your hand on during takeoff and landing, adjust constantly while flying formation, and so on.

Although there is the problem of having something too much like a stick in the right hand, being used to flying with a stick instead of a yoke meaning you are in a J-3 Cub, and getting your brain switched around so you jam forward on the stick instead of the throttle when you want to go around. It's almost enough to want the right seat of the RV to be designated the pilot's seat.

Left sidewall slider.

Preferably with an afterburner range. :)

Only thing I've ever flown with an arrangement like that is a J-3 Cub.

Not much kick to the afterburner though. :p

Depends for me too. In the Mooney and Grumman, knee room is taken away by the quadrant. In the DA40, the levers are in the center console and nothing is taken away. However, I'm not a fan of the ratcheting mixture action.

Depends on the plane.. In the debonair i fly, i love the vernier TPM, in others, i prefer a quadrant.. Pipers especially, since quadrant usually means ramshorn yokes

Back