Preferred sequence for ratings/checkrides?

alfadog

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
alfadog
If I have a PPL now and plan on going all the way to CFII/MEI what is the most cost-effective sequence of ratings/checkrides? For example, I know that I should have my instrument rating before taking my multi engine checkride or else I won't have instrument privileges in the multi. Let's disregard any considerations relative to availability or cost of aircraft or the desirability of building multi engine time earlier in training, I'm just looking at the cost of the checkrides and the dual time required.

Also, if I want commercial privileges in a single engine seaplane, when would that be best?

I'm interested in this as well. I was scheduled for my instrument check ride today, but the weather did not cooperate. I should have the instrument ticket by the end of the week. I want to go all the way to CFII/MEI. Looking forward to the responses.

Private, Instrument, Commercial, ME, CFI, CFII, MEI.

There are variations to that route depending on ones perceived benefits to doing so but that is a traditional route.

Yep, Greg's route is customary. It's great that you're an A&P. That will add a lot of value to you as an instructor.

There are variations to that route depending on ones perceived benefits to doing so but that is a traditional route.
I did this except I did my CFI before ME and I don't have my II and MEI.

Will only one checkride in a multi engine suffice to give me instrument and commercial privileges in the multi provided I already have those privileges in a single?

Also if I take an ASES checkride after having instrument and commercial in ASEL will I have instrument and commercial privileges in the seaplane?

Will only one checkride in a multi engine suffice to give me instrument and commercial privileges in the multi provided I already have those privileges in a single?

Also if I take an ASES checkride after having instrument and commercial in ASEL will I have instrument and commercial privileges in the seaplane?

Yes, provided you perform the added tasks in the PTS. Once you have your Commercial you can add additional aircraft ratings in one check ride. I just did my Multi and added commercial and instrument all in the same ride.

The sequence given above is probably the most common because it's the most bang for the buck. Once you've gotten to Instrument rated commercial those things can be added to new ratings right away rather than individually. Pretty sure the same goes for adding a seaplane rating.

Last edited:
Yes, provided you perform the added tasks in the PTS. Once you have your Commercial you can add additional aircraft ratings in one check ride. I just did my Multi and added commercial and instrument all in the same ride.

The sequence given above is probably the most common because it's the most bang for the buck. Once you've gotten to Instrument rated commercial those things can be added to new ratings right away rather than individually. Pretty sure the same goes for adding a seaplane rating.

Am I correct in that if I take my first commercial check ride in a multi engine, that does not give me commercial privileges in a single? How about instrument rating, if I take my first instrument ride in a multi, do I also have instrument privileges in a single? I know this is not going to happen, I'm just curious.

You can have some of the ratings some of the time, you can have some of the ratings all of the time. You can have all of the ratings some of the time, and with enough time and money you can have all of the ratings all the time.

Am I correct in that if I take my first commercial check ride in a multi engine, that does not give me commercial privileges in a single? How about instrument rating, if I take my first instrument ride in a multi, do I also have instrument privileges in a single? I know this is not going to happen, I'm just curious.
Yes to both certificates are good for category and class. Instrument rating applies to only category. Your commercial is ASEL/AMEL. The instrument rating is only Airplane. However, if you don't do the required multi instrument tasks, you will be limited to VFR in multis. Kinda confusing I know

Last edited:
Yes to both certificates are good for category and class. Instrument rating applies to only category. Your commercial is ASEL/AMEL. The instrument rating is only Airplane. However, if you don't do the required multi instrument tasks, you will be limited to VFR in multis. Kinda confusing I know

Now I'm confused... and I'm not quite sure how to even ask my question.

Another trick, if you're flying a float plane with a CS prop and flaps it counts as a complex.

You can get your initial commercial in a seaplane and use the seaplane for the required compex time, then just do your land add on in any single engine land aircraft.

You could even knock more out of you did all your single engine CPL stuff (land and sea) in a amphib, however not many folks rent them and they are quite expensive.

Last trick, when you take your instrument written, take the CFII written at the same time, basically the same test.

Last edited:
Now I'm confused... and I'm not quite sure how to even ask my question.

Well most people don't do it the way you stated your question...but here's a try

If you get your IR in a single, then take the multi ride, you're good in both (provided you do the additional IR multi tasks)

If you get your single, then your multi, then your IR, your IR is only good in whichever you did the IR checkride in, single OR multi, but not both.

If you somehow got your private in the multi and have an AMEL but not ASEL you could do the IR, then add on the ASEL with IR later, but if you got the IR after adding ASEL the IR would again only apply to the one you tested in.

Clear as mud?

For more clarity, the IR is an add-on to whatever rating you have, and once you have it in one you can add it to a later rating in the same check ride. If you wait on the IR you have to add it to your individual ratings separately.

Make it easy, to do the least amount of checkrides. Private, instrument, commercial single, commercial multi(with the instrument tasks), CFIs.

That is the traditional route - doesn't mean it's always the best. Someone mentioned possible benefits throwing commercial sea plane in there to meet complex requirements.

I personally did it MEI -> CFI -> CFII. I had planned to do the II second and CFI third, but there were scheduling conflicts that screwed that up.

One advantage of MEI first is that you can take the other CFI rides in in a non-complex plane which should save a bunch of money. Not being limited to complex planes means you'll have more plane and instructor options open to you. That was a huge plus for me since I wanted to pick the best instructor I could find rather than being force to pick from the few who had access to complex planes. There happens to be a complex single at the local airport, but their instructor at the time was horrible and they wouldn't let me bring in my own instructor.

Another advantage of MEI first comes from the fact that you're required to have 15 hours multi-PIC to take the exam. Odds are no one's gonna let you rent a twin solo with the 8 or so hours of multi time it took to get you commercial, so you're spending that 15 hours with an instructor anyway. If you go CFI-single first, you're spending a bunch of money learning to teach in a single and then you still have to spend 15 hours in the twin with an instructor before you can take the MEI exam. Instead, spend that 15 hours in the twin learning to teach in the plane and save all the money you would have spent learning to teach in the single.

If you're good, you can check off some or all of the CFII training during the 15 hours of multi-PIC you're doing anyway.

There are some downsides to doing the MEI first:
* It's more money upfront (but less in total).
* Some people get a CFI job and their company pays for their MEI or they find ways to grab free multi-PIC hours to count towards the 15. If you do your MEI first, that's not really an option.
* It may be (much) harder to schedule the checkrides.
In my case, the FSDO here farms out initial instructor rides to DPEs, but they made me take the MEI ride with them since it was an unusual case. Took 2 months to schedule. Up side was exam was free!
Then there was no one in the state qualified to do a single engine CFI add-on exam, so I had to do that with the FAA observing while the DPE got qualified to do single add-on rides. Took 6 weeks to find a time that worked for me, the DPE, the FAA, and the weather. The DPE agreed to a reduced rate given the circumstances, so I came out ahead there too.

Despite the hassles, I would do it this way again and not just for the cost savings. I feel I got better training and I think I earned a lot of respect from the FSDO and examiners in the area for pulling this off.

EDIT: looks like I covered some items the OP said to disregard... oops. For the issues he did care about, I saved the cost of about 1.5 checkrides this way, but that might not be typical. I also avoided virtually all dual for the CFI ride in a single engine plane. That probably is typical.

Last edited:
If you get your single, then your multi, then your IR, your IR is only good in whichever you did the IR checkride in, single OR multi, but not both.

If you somehow got your private in the multi and have an AMEL but not ASEL you could do the IR, then add on the ASEL with IR later, but if you got the IR after adding ASEL the IR would again only apply to the one you tested in.

That is not quite correct.
If you have ASEL and AMEL and take the IR in a single, you have IR privileges in only single and are limited to VFR in multi.
If you have ASEL and AMEL and take the IR in a multi, you have IR privileges in both single and multi.

If you have only AMEL and take the IR, obviously you only have IR privileges in multi. If you add on a ASEL later, I do not know whether you automatically gain IR privileges in ASEL. I would assume so, but if I ever had a pilot in that situation come to me for training, I would make a call to the FSDO to find out for sure.

Back