Pre-solo quiz.. Can't find FAR for documents a pilot is required to carry?

charleszink

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Charles
This is driving me nuts.. I know the three documents (medical, endorsements, log book) but I can't find the FAR that states that anywhere. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Also, who's writing this stuff?! Do we really need 8 paragraphs on how and when to use seatbelts? :mad2:

61.3 gives the general eligibility requirements while the student pilot specifics starts with 61.87.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp&r=PART&n=14y2.0.1.1.2

BTW the way you also need an official photo ID in addition to your certificate and medical (which I guess as a student are one and the same). It's been a while, I don't recall a requirement to actually physically have your logbook with you when you fly even though you still have to have the appropriate endorsements.

Last edited:
Logbook isn't one of them, except for student pilots on cross country flights (and recreational and sport pilots).

Recommendation on the FAR: start by looking at the table of contents. The whole thing is surprisingly well-organized. When you do you'll find that just about everything dealing with pilot certification, requirements, currency and limitations is in Part 61. And, strangely enough, you'll see in the table of contents to Part 61, a section entitled , "Requirement for certificates, ratings, and authorizations." That will deal with the basic stuff.

And the requirement for carrying a logbook? Check out the section the table of contents calls, "Pilot Logbooks."

If you don't already have it, the FAR/AIM app by ASA (https://appsto.re/us/YvgKv.i) is very worth the cost.

Easily searched, and every update to the regs is free. Save money not buying trees.

Also free on faa.gov, as are all FAA regs and handbooks, etc.

Last edited:
True, but there are some added items to the app (and paper book) that make spending the simoleans worth it.

This is from several months ago, but here's my hack at trying to chart the source of each requirement:

FAA_Required_Docs.jpg

This is from several months ago, but here's my hack at trying to chart the source of each requirement:

FAA_Required_Docs.jpg

Weight and Balance doesn't need to be specifically called out, the 'w' is just convenient to make the acronym. Weight and Balance information is covered in 'Operating Limitations'

FAR 23.1519 Weight and center of gravity.
The weight and center of gravity limitations determined under §23.23 must be established as operating limitations.

Weight and Balance doesn't need to be specifically called out, the 'w' is just convenient to make the acronym. Weight and Balance information is covered in 'Operating Limitations'

FAR 23.1519 Weight and center of gravity.
The weight and center of gravity limitations determined under §23.23 must be established as operating limitations.

Thanks!:)

For what it's worth, I always took the "W" to mean I need to look for a separate weight and balance report that gives me the basic empty weight and associated CG so that I could determine if my intended loading keeps me within those operating limitations.

While they always seem to be there, my notes were referring to my inability to find anything that required the weight and balance report to actually be in the airplane.

Thanks!:)

For what it's worth, I always took the "W" to mean I need to look for a separate weight and balance report that gives me the basic empty weight and associated CG so that I could determine if my intended loading keeps me within those operating limitations.

While they always seem to be there, my notes were referring to my inability to find anything that required the weight and balance report to actually be in the airplane.

AFAIK, there is nothing that outright says "you must have weight and balance information in the plane", but it's a required part of the flight manual and the manual is required (for planes where the manual is required).

23.1519 refers to the weight and balance limits of the plane. These are what are listed in section 2 of the standard POH format. It should include max weight, landing weight, zero fuel weight, etc... plus the forward and aft CG limits. I agree with the previous poster that this is covered under the O in ARROW.

As you note, that's not the same as the weight and balance report with empty weight and CG. I think the closest to a requirement for that is 23.1589 which requires the AFM to have, in part, "Appropriate loading instructions for each possible loading condition between the maximum and minimum weights established under § 23.25, to facilitate the center of gravity remaining within the limits established under § 23.23." Basically, instructions on how to remain within the CG limits at all weights. I'm not sure it's possible to have that without including the actual empty weight and CG of the plane. So that's my best guess as to the requirement for the W.

That's still redundant with the inclusion of the AFM. It may be the case that AR(R)OW was first used before an AFM was required. At the time, perhaps weight and balance was a separate item that needed to be checked. If so, maybe AR(R)OW is getting a bit outdated?

FAA_Required_Docs.jpg
Arguably is right. How does having something ON BOARD the aircraft make for "preflight" planning?

Note that your graphic is the STARTING point. STCs indeed also modify the paperwork requirements. In fact, I have a dozen or so flight manual supplements that I must carry to supplement the nonexistent flight manual. Some of the supplements also require additional documentation to be carried.

Arguably is right. How does having something ON BOARD the aircraft make for "preflight" planning?

OK. You convinced me. If there's a requirement for GA pilots to carry current charts, it's probably not 91.103. I'm crossing it off now. Delete, delete.

Note that your graphic is the STARTING point. STCs indeed also modify the paperwork requirements. In fact, I have a dozen or so flight manual supplements that I must carry to supplement the nonexistent flight manual. Some of the supplements also require additional documentation to be carried.

I bet there are other more specific sections about STC's and flight manual supplements, but aren't those additional materials already covered by 91.9(a) ("... as otherwise prescribed...").

Back