Pre flight

frfly172

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
ron keating
Just wondering after reading about crash of aircraft because of gust lock left in place,how many pilots do a thorough preflight as opposed to a quick walk around.and on the subject how many do a complete run up before take of check ?

So do I. Better to find a problem on the ground than in the air.

I do a complete preflight before every flight, and a complete post flight after every flight, every time. My preflights are done through a flow, and I then pull out the checklist to make sure I have not missed anything and double check the items I consider real important. While waiting to take the runway, I go through everything in my mind again, and then check my settings one last time. Unfortunately, I am not infallible, and even with my routine I have occasionally missed something(such as transposed numbers in Xponder code, or radio frequency, misspelled a waypoint, and once my cowl flaps were not fully open), and caught it before taking off.I use the same routine everytime, it may be boring, but so far it seems to work.

Too many stories where a 15 minute preflight could have prevented a whole lotta of heartache.

Last edited:
Gotta make sure you have the right magazines along Ed!!!

I preflight before every flight. It is just a good habit to have.

For my Arrow, the only way to move the rudder is to watch it move with the nose gear when pulling the aircraft out of the hangar and to then make sure you can steer it when in taxi mode. It can't be moved on the ground.

I have had other pilots and instructors along for a ride that will tell me that they preflighted this or that. I just say Well, Thank you and check it myself anyway.

Gotta watch those airplanes like a hawk. One that I borrowed frequently last year never knew there was a locking device (snap ring) on the disptick and I found it loose or cocked in a direction that wasn't "locked" often.

After flying with a Dumb S*** pilot who never checked the oil and we later had oil all on the windscreen because the oil filler cap was not screwed in, I never flew with him again.

The only thing I found personally to date is the rudder nose wheel interconnect link on a Cherokee was busted.

Always preflight and run up using a check list. Takes a few minutes but worth every second.

Cheers

Preflight at the start of the day, fluids, general condition etc.

Runup (including control check!) before the first flight of the day, I'll also do a preflight and run up if I leave the plane unattended for a few hours.

To me the most important part of a preflight is after you think you've looked at all the details, step back from the plane several yards and look at it from a distance. That's when you see the fuel cap off or the key still in the baggage door or the wheel chocks still in place or the suitcase on the ground that you forgot to load.

Personally I always do a full preflight using the check sheet, even after a short hop for a $100 hamburger run ill go through the routine again before launching for the return trip home.
Maybe because I'm still a newbie I edge more on the cautious side than I need too be, but its a habit I'm happy to get used to doing.

This topic reminds me of a few weeks back, sat in a ramp side restaurant having lunch, a guy in there finished up his lunch and then walked out onto the ramp, straight up onto the wing and climbed aboard, canopy down fired up the motor and began to taxi out to the runway. Once there he was straight out onto the runway and launched no delay with a run up or anything....:rolleyes2:

To me the most important part of a preflight is after you think you've looked at all the details, step back from the plane several yards and look at it from a distance. That's when you see the fuel cap off or the key still in the baggage door or the wheel chocks still in place or the suitcase on the ground that you forgot to load.

Same here, always do one last walk around to take in the whole picture.

This topic reminds me of a few weeks back, sat in a ramp side restaurant having lunch, a guy in there finished up his lunch and then walked out onto the ramp, straight up onto the wing and climbed aboard, canopy down fired up the motor and began to taxi out to the runway. Once there he was straight out onto the runway and launched no delay with a run up or anything....:rolleyes2:

You really don't need to do a walkaround and run up after every shutdown. If I grab a burger for 30min I'll probably just get in and go. Things are a little diffrent between the flight school training and working planes.

You really don't need to do a walkaround and run up after every shutdown. If I grab a burger for 30min I'll probably just get in and go. Things are a little diffrent between the flight school training and working planes.

Hmmm, almost always do at least a quick walk around with visual check of fuel. Also look under the nose to see if it's spewed any precious fluid (oil). The rolling mag check is an easy and good thing to do. Sometimes will do it at idle.

Have had inflight oil leaks and mag failure so know a little bit about them...

Hmmm, almost always do at least a quick walk around with visual check of fuel. Also look under the nose to see if it's spewed any precious fluid (oil). The rolling mag check is an easy and good thing to do. Sometimes will do it at idle.

Have had inflight oil leaks and mag failure so know a little bit about them...

We shutdown for our next round of pax all the time, 30min to a hour, on the piston plane we don't re check everything, just doesn't make sense for a hr or so shutdown.

I'd say I'm pretty thorough, but still learning... things like the fact that you must never trust anyone else's word that a thorough preflight was done, no matter how much you trust their judgement. Also, I've learned that sharing preflight duties with one or more other people is not necessarily more efficient, even though it might seem to be. You're better off having each person do a full walkaround, if they feel like it. Two passes, if you will.
Obviously, when a glider is being flown 20 minutes to an hour or so, several times in one day by multiple pilots, we don't do a complete walkaround for each flight. But re-staging provides some opportunity to look closely at some things, and before every launch we do a proper control check.
On a power flight with multiple stops, I won't do a complete preflight at each stop, but certain things will be checked: oil, fuel, lights maybe, tire pressure and condition, and checking for leaks or damage. If I'm not the PIC or even flying on that trip at all, I will do at least a cursory walkaround on my own. So far I haven't offended anyone doing that, but if and when I do, they can go cry for all I care. "Pride goeth before a fall"... if anyone wants to do their own preflight before they fly with me, I'd welcome that.

Runup: first flight of the day, any time fuel has just been added, or if the airplane's been sitting unattended for a while.

Last edited:
We shutdown for our next round of pax all the time, 30min to a hour, on the piston plane we don't re check everything, just doesn't make sense for a hr or so shutdown.

Just about any part can fail at any time, however unlikely the possibility.

I at least do a quick walkaround even if only stopped somewhere for fuel for a half hour.

The first time I found (a small amount of) water in my fuel sample, it cured me of ever considering skipping preflight.

A benefit of using a power-tow on a tail-dragger. You get a good look at things whether or not you planned it.
get to,QUOTE=JHW;1242843]To me the most important part of a preflight is after you think you've looked at all the details, step back from the plane several yards and look at it from a distance. That's when you see the fuel cap off or the key still in the baggage door or the wheel chocks still in place or the suitcase on the ground that you forgot to load.[/QUOTE]

Its your arse....... you would be surprised at how much of a nest a bird can build in less than an hour.Mud daubers can completely block the pitot in just a few minutes. Ever consider that someone dinged the plane and just walked/taxied away ? Are you absolutely sure no one messed/swiped a gas cap(s)? Are you sure the tires are still properly inflated? No runup? I learned my lesson the hard way once on takeoff after not doing one post ~30 min.fuel stop. The(attempted) climb after liftoff was anemic on one mag; .....................:nono::nono:

I learned the birds' nest fast-build lesson at Shawnee, OK in the spring of 1984. Stopped by to see the folks for an hour or so, had to stop in Guthrie to clean out the stinking smoking mess.

Its your arse....... you would be surprised at how much of a nest a bird can build in less than an hour.Mud daubers can completely block the pitot in just a few minutes. Ever consider that someone dinged the plane and just walked/taxied away ? Are you absolutely sure no one messed/swiped a gas cap(s)? Are you sure the tires are still properly inflated? No runup? I learned my lesson the hard way once on takeoff after not doing one post ~30 min.fuel stop. The(attempted) climb after liftoff was anemic on one mag; .....................:nono::nono:

Our aircraft are on our ramp, we have next to no risk of hits, fuel issues etc. for commercial ops a runup for each takeoff is a rookie move

Even checking the mags? ;)

Technically I'm checking the mags while it's still on the ground, that could be considered pre-flight as it's not flying yet.

If I've let the plane sit for a while I always do a runup, it may be abbreviated (doesn't take much time to check mags, heat, alt, vacuum, idle, T&P) and it can let you know when something's all jacked up, like your primer not being latched in (oops).

Last edited:
Our aircraft are on our ramp, we have next to no risk of hits, fuel issues etc. for commercial ops a runup for each takeoff is a rookie move

BS.gif

Not every pilot who has had an engine failure was a rookie.

color me rookie then. Even when i was a college student with college student immortality, it was still the same routine every takeoff of every night. Position and hold on the runway, throttles partway up, cycle through mags, generators, vacuum pumps. Then throttles rest of the way up and go. Checking things through with a "run up" delayed the delivery of those boxes of cancelled checks by at least 10 seconds.

Full pre-flight 1st flight of the day and anytime the plane is out of my sight longer than a WC break.

Full runup after any shutdown.

Doesn't take long, could save the day.

As several of the aircraft seem to like to foul plugs even with aggressive leaning for ground ops, I've gotten in the habit of mag-checking after every start. Usually, they are OK after the first, but not always.

I also stick the tanks prior to every start.

Thorough preflight for the first hop. Workflow confirmed with checklist, including a big picture check. Few things are more embarrassing than turns around a tiedown or taxiing with the baggage door open (that last one I've done a few times -- the aviation equivalent of leaving your fly open).

Few things are more embarrassing than turns around a tiedown or taxiing with the baggage door open (that last one I've done a few times -- the aviation equivalent of leaving your fly open).

Try taxiing over the nose wheel chock.:lol:

Cheers

I do a full preflight everytime. I still use my checklist for the cockpit. I may do a walk around on the outside if I just landed and am leaving right away, but I always go through the runup procedures 100%.

Not only does the FULL AND CORRECT control check appear on my checklist, it'd be impossible to do the autopilot tests with a control lock in place, and it begs a further question. Unless the day is dead calm on a flat smooth surface, how do they even taxi without attempting to move the controls?

This pilot does a careful preflight every time using a checklist.

Add me to the list. Every time, no exceptions (well, a certain scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark comes to mind, but... :D )

So do I. Better to find a problem on the ground than in the air.

Amen to that.

I'm glad TWA didn't think that way. I remember a flight years ago because the plane, safely parked at the gate, got hit by a truck. TWA was obviously thinking properly when they decided to fix the hole in the skin before flying it again.

Couldn't agree more. See above.

Student here. What did you do after finding the water in the sample?

After a bunch of debris in the samples I called the maintenance officer for the plane. It was grounded until the fuel system was drained and cleaned. We certainly didn't take it flying.

Now, if I found some water and it cleared up after a few samples (not much water in the tanks) and subsequent samples were clean, I'd fly. Maybe just in the pattern for a few circuits to make sure, but I would be careful.

Unless a mag has failed since the last check, in which case you might like to know.

I preflight everytime and do a limited if landing on a fast turn around. If plane is on the ground more than an hour or so, I'll do a pretty quick full pre-flight again.

Have found lots of things on rental pre-flights, but only a couple on my own bird. funniest pre-flight was a rental 152, went to preflight and it was GONE (I guess the 152 keys are interchangeable for ignition). The other 152 was there, but I had "the book" and keys for the other.

Watched a guy try to taxi with the right wing still tied to the ground. Not a pretty ending.
I do a complete pre-flight every morning, and a visual check before every take off during the day.
On one of the planes, I'm so paranoid, I count the rivets in the wings. Twice I've gone out to the plane found anywhere from a few to whole rows of rivets were missing. Whomever is doing it is going to get the surprise of their life some day (soon).

color me rookie then. Even when i was a college student with college student immortality, it was still the same routine every takeoff of every night. Position and hold on the runway, throttles partway up, cycle through mags, generators, vacuum pumps. Then throttles rest of the way up and go. Checking things through with a "run up" delayed the delivery of those boxes of cancelled checks by at least 10 seconds.

Me three. When I'm not instructing, I fly a 182 for a private owner and perform atleast an abbreviated run up after every shut down (unless we're at the USFS dirt strip I take him to from time to time, I'll do a rolling mag check, but forget doing a static run up on an unimproved private strip littered with stones.) As for a pre flight, I do a full pre flight prior to the first flight of the day followed by an abbreviated walk around for subsequent flights.

Watched a guy try to taxi with the right wing still tied to the ground. Not a pretty ending.
I do a complete pre-flight every morning, and a visual check before every take off during the day.
On one of the planes, I'm so paranoid, I count the rivets in the wings. Twice I've gone out to the plane found anywhere from a few to whole rows of rivets were missing. Whomever is doing it is going to get the surprise of their life some day (soon).

I'm making this up as I go along, but for me (various rentals):
Daily: everything, including rivets, bolts, hinges, control rods and cables
After it leaves my sight: external walk-around (without rivet-by-rivet look), oil, air intakes & ports
After refueling or rain: fuel sump
If I've exited the plane: controls free and correct, lights if night
If the engine has been off: avionics, runup and mag check

Student here. What did you do after finding the water in the sample?

Discarded that sample, pulled another one, and the second one was clear.

As long as the plane has been sitting for a little while, the water will all collect at the bottom of the tank. You can simply keep draining until you get fuel instead of water. In my case, it was a bubble of water about the size of a marble, then 100LL on top. Since it was only the first draw that had water in it, I proceeded to finish preflight and fly, though I was very careful to inspect the samples closely from each of the remaining drain points.

If you routinely get a lot of water in the samples, then you should see if water is getting into the tanks somewhere, though it's unlikely to have a hole in the tank without you knowing about it. Small amounts of water can be the result of condensation, getting fuel while it's raining, etc. Nothing to worry about, AFAIK.

I had an engine failure (lost one cylinder) after landing, taxiing back to take off. Engine began running rough when my ASI was at 50kts. I didn't do a run up check after landing. Should I have? One can always second guess oneself. I pulled power and taxied off the runway in time. Perhaps I might have caught it on the run-up, perhaps not. Engine failures can occur any time, but most likely under high-power conditions.

Back