Practicing Approaches in IMC

petrolero

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
petrolero
Another thread got me thinking... If I want to go shoot some approaches on a day with nice medium IMC minimums:

• Is that something that ATC will accommodate?
  • How would I file that assuming all approaches to the same airport? Just put it in as direct to the starting point?

In Denver I'd likely get be cleared to KAPA via Denver Six, radar vectors.

If I am current IFR then I should be able to do these solo, no?

It's been awhile, but unless something has changed in last few years, I can't see why they'd have heartache over it. I've never done it at APA, but at the few Class D and C airports where I have, I just gave clearance a call, told them what I wanted to do, and they put me in the system and gave me an IFR clearance right there. No need to file.

Perhaps someone with more recent experience with this sort of thing can elaborate.

File a round robin to a local VOR or other legally navigable fix and back to the airport, particularly if it is the start of a feeder route to an approach at the airport in question. Filing has to do with how to proceed under lost comm. Once you are in the air, you can request vectors or whatever you like.

File a round robin to a local VOR or other legally navigable fix and back to the airport, particularly if it is the start of a feeder route to an approach at the airport in question. Filing has to do with how to proceed under lost comm. Once you are in the air, you can request vectors or whatever you like.

That's why I suspect they might use the Denver Six (even though I can't file it) - it has specific Lost Comm procedures listed. IFR out of Denver virtually always gets a DP and the Denver Six is kinda the catch all one with vectors.

You can do what's called an abreviated IFR flight plan or what is commonly referred to as a local IFR. Usually it's done while in the air but it can be requested on the ground as well. Depends on how busy your airport is also. It might be a little while before they can clear you.

Or, you can just file the old fashion way with your departure field, NAVAID / FAF and then your arrival field. Remarks "practice approaches" if you desire.

• How would I file that assuming all approaches to the same airport? Just put it in as direct to the starting point?
  • If I am current IFR then I should be able to do these solo, no?

1. Shouldn't be a problem
  2. Same as any other flight plan with the airport you're doing approaches at being the final destination, just tell approach as you are coming in to the airport that you are gonna be doing practice approaches.
  3. Correct, you can be solo

One catch is that "medium IMC" which is low enough to need an approach is hard to find in the Denver area so when it happens many people try to take advantage of it. Centennial is also a busy airport and I'm not sure how they would feel about multiple approaches on a real IMC day.

I used to file IFR into MDW just for practice. However, I usually limited myself to one approach and one departure, then onto another airport (like ARR) for multiple approaches.

It's been awhile, but unless something has changed in last few years, I can't see why they'd have heartache over it. I've never done it at APA, but at the few Class D and C airports where I have, I just gave clearance a call, told them what I wanted to do, and they put me in the system and gave me an IFR clearance right there. No need to file.

Perhaps someone with more recent experience with this sort of thing can elaborate.
What you did is very specific to Southern California and a few other parts if the country. Denver will expect a flight plan on file or a pop-up clearance with Approach if they are not busy.

Yes, petrolero. They will accommodate you with no problem. And if course you can do it alone, so long as you are not wearing a view-limiting device (but good luck finding fly able IMC there).

One catch is that "medium IMC" which is low enough to need an approach is hard to find in the Denver area so when it happens many people try to take advantage of it. Centennial is also a busy airport and I'm not sure how they would feel about multiple approaches on a real IMC day.
I don't think there would be a problem with multiple approaches unless it's during one of the times of day that tend to generate a lot of corporate jet traffic. One would think when there is fly able IMC there, everyone and his grand-nephew would be flying to take advantage of it, but it just doesn't happen that way. Tends to be pretty quiet.

Did it with an instrument student a few years ago and we were the only ones up there.

BTW, just so it's clear to everyone, Everskyward and I are specifically talking about the Denver area and KAPA in particular (since that's what the OP asked about).

Last edited:
Should be no problem. Gives the tower a little practice. Only place I've seen it busy ,with practice approach's is in Florida.

Should be no problem. Gives the tower a little practice. Only place I've seen it busy ,with practice approach's is in Florida.

They usually just kick it back to you, they don't want practice despite IMC being relatively rare here

I don't think there would be a problem with multiple approaches unless it's during one of the times of day that tend to generate a lot of corporate jet traffic. One would think when there is fly able IMC there, everyone and his grand-nephew would be flying to take advantage of it, but it just doesn't happen that way. Tends to be pretty quiet.

Did it with an instrument student a few years ago and we were the only ones up there.

BTW, just so it's clear to everyone, Everskyward and I are specifically talking about the Denver area and KAPA in particular (since that's what the OP asked about).

True statement. We get so little IMC that I thought it would be nice to get on up and make use of it when it happens. I listen to KAPA especially on solid IFR days (that's the kind of nerd i am) and have maybe once heard of someone practicing approaches in it. So few that I had to ask about it.

Another thread got me thinking... If I want to go shoot some approaches on a day with nice medium IMC minimums:

If I am current IFR then I should be able to do these solo, no?
To answer your three questions, yes, yes, and yes.

The only place I've had this declined is at my home field KRHV in San Jose. The missed encroaches on San Jose Intl. so at Reid NorCal wants a full stop with another clearance before taking off for another lap. Because of this I usually don't bother, just head over to the coast where the the marine layer will not usually burn off before I'm finished with my tune up.

Last edited:
I've heard airplanes being denied practice ILS approaches into Centennial, particularly when opposite direction traffic is in effect or when they are busy.

Last edited:
While on the ground, I radio the nearby Class C clearance delivery and request a "local IFR" specifying only the destination, which is either my home field or another nearby airport. Don't need to file anything, just get in the plane and call 'em. Always works.

It might be different near a Class B.

While on the ground, I radio the nearby Class C clearance delivery and request a "local IFR" specifying only the destination, which is either my home field or another nearby airport. Don't need to file anything, just get in the plane and call 'em. Always works.

It might be different near a Class B.
Nah, just there's no uniform procedure and it's different in different geographic areas.

I've done that, and I explain what I'm wanting when I call clearance.

I've heard airplanes being denied practice ILS approaches into Centennial, particularly when opposite direction traffic is in effect or when they are busy.

Yep they deny opposite direction practice approaches in VMC all the time when it gets busy. I can't say I've ever heard a request like that in IMC. Workload permitting, perhaps they'd do it.

It was so smoky with rain sprinkles yesterday, so visibility was way low. I thought about doing some real approaches at my non-towered airport. Then, I got out on the road and I could barely see the mountains at probably at least 10 miles out. Rain clouds were above the tops, equivalent to 5K AGL. I then thought, so that is what 10 mile visibility looks like. Weather not poor enough for any real approaches...

I did 3 approaches yesterday in actual IMC. Had a flight plan to one airport. Had ATC vector me to another, loaded the airport into the 430 and selected the approach on the miss, picked up another flight plan in air back to my home base

Petrolero,
When Denver gets some "flyable IFR" file over to FTG and on the way tell the controller you want multiple approaches. BJC usually has more traffic than FTG but you can do an approach there then go onto Longmont and do one there. The big problem is having an airplane available and flexible enough schedule to race to the airport and file before the weather goes away.

It was so smoky with rain sprinkles yesterday, so visibility was way low. I thought about doing some real approaches at my non-towered airport. Then, I got out on the road and I could barely see the mountains at probably at least 10 miles out. Rain clouds were above the tops, equivalent to 5K AGL. I then thought, so that is what 10 mile visibility looks like. Weather not poor enough for any real approaches...
Although I learned to fly in New England, 20 years in Colorado spoiled me. My most common refrain when flying in the East again now is, "you call this VFR?"

Back