Practice IFR Clearance Understanding

Edgefly

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Edgefly
Is there an online source for Audio clearances to practice understanding and copying IFR clearances. I am aware of LiveATC but everything there seems to require an application purchase.

It is well worth the $3.99 for the LiveATC app.

During my PPL training I would have the app open anytime I was driving in my car set to the Delta airport frequency I was training at to get more comfortable with radio procedures.

You can listen online for free. Just click on the green "Listen" box once you search for your airport of choice.

Never used their live services but there is also Pilotedge.net for live simulated ATC interaction if you have a SIM program.

They have a great webinar workshop archive for pilots that are great.

http://www.pilotedge.net/

Last edited:
Is there an online source for Audio clearances to practice understanding and copying IFR clearances. I am aware of LiveATC but everything there seems to require an application purchase.
Only if you want to listen on a tablet. The LiveATC feed is free if on a PC.

You can also find YouTube channels with clearances and a few from instructors who do a pretty good job of describing ways to copy them.

You can also do a ground lesson where you CFI just reads clearances to you and you can write them back and read them back.

You can also do a ground lesson where you CFI just reads clearances to you and you can write them back and read them back.
Downside is that there aren't many CFIs who do a good job with creating realistic complex clearances unless they are in an area where complex is standard. And even then, hard to create ones involving areas other than your own.

Listening even on a tablet or phone is free. As Shawn pointed out, you have to use the web browser and open the live feed from there.

Hmm. Must be new. I've tried in the past and the tablet's browser was blocked. Kind of like the way Hulu does (did?) it.

Back