PPR Clearances (Permission To Park On The Ramp)

I was active duty and reserve USAF, I had all my chromosomes so could not get into the Army or the Navy, we had lots of Coasties on base so I knew to whom to salute. I spent some time at Pensacola NAS a few years back and was in uniform (USCG AUX) and would get saluted from the Navy.

No surprise...the Navy salutes anything that moves, it is a manifestation of their deep seated inferiority which stems from the fact they are just the second oldest continuous sea going service the US has.

The Coast Guard may call their facility on the field a "Coast Guard Air Station," but the field itself is a publicly owned, public use airport run by the local government, and the USCG are merely tenants with no authority beyond their own ramp. However, to enter that ramp legally in a private aircraft, I'm sure you need their prior permission.

Correct in every respect. Sac was chosen when the fixed wing assets on the West Coast were reduced due to budget cut backs. It is central and can serve the 11th, 12th, and 13th Districts respectively. (the 11th is Southern Cal, 12th, Northern Cal, and 13th is Oregon and Washington.)

Having to wear the uniform is the biggest reason I haven't gotten more involved with one of those civilian auxiliary groups.

As I said earlier Kim..have a blast. And don't take this inter-service kidding too seriously. It is a way of life and actually rooted in mutual respect. (Except for the Navy of course, who deserved no respect because they are jealous that we could land on helo decks a third the size of a carrier elevator in any weather.)

Totally true. I respect all branches. I give the USCG the most crap because being in the Navy, our ranking and uniforms were the most similar. That, and they get such a kick out of patrolling puddles! I still think of the men and woman patrolling our puddles every time it rains. :p

Have fun Kim. You will be in my backyard. It is only a 5 minute flight from LHM, my home base.

Totally true. I respect all branches. I give the USCG the most crap because being in the Navy, our ranking and uniforms were the most similar. That, and they get such a kick out of patrolling puddles! I still think of the men and woman patrolling our puddles every time it rains. :p

:rofl: Being a fighter jock you were probably too short to join the USCG. Ya gotta be at least 6 feet tall you know. :D

I was active duty and reserve USAF, I had all my chromosomes so could not get into the Army or the Navy, we had lots of Coasties on base so I knew to whom to salute. I spent some time at Pensacola NAS a few years back and was in uniform (USCG AUX) and would get saluted from the Navy.

Thats because for most USN, USAF, and USMC, Pensacola is the step right after basic for most of the aviation jobs. They don't know that you dont have to salute anyone you dont feel like saluting. :p

No surprise...the Navy salutes anything that moves, it is a manifestation of their deep seated inferiority which stems from the fact they are just the second oldest continuous sea going service the US has.
When I was going through AOC School at P'cola, we saluted cars with officer markings -- even if nobody was in them. Sometimes the Admiral's driver would be taking the Admiral's car to the gas station, and we'd salute it as it passed. The PO1 driving it seemed to get a kick out of returning our salute.

"If it moves, salute it; if it doesn't, paint it gray."

Walking around Cola could be really funny. You see one O-2 walk near 50 enlisted guys and panic seems to erupt lol.

When I was going through AOC School at P'cola, we saluted cars with officer markings -- even if nobody was in them. Sometimes the Admiral's driver would be taking the Admiral's car to the gas station, and we'd salute it as it passed. The PO1 driving it seemed to get a kick out of returning our salute.

"If it moves, salute it; if it doesn't, paint it gray."

As a plebe we were taught: "If it moves salute it. If it doesn't move pick it up, if you can't pick it up paint it white."

My secret FRZ password is . . . . [numbers and letters deleted by the black helicopters]

Having to wear the uniform is the biggest reason I haven't gotten more involved with one of those civilian auxiliary groups.

I rarely ever see the CG Aux guys in a uniform, but they always have their PFDs on when on a boat, ugg.

That depends on the status of the nation, USCG goes between DOT and DOD depending on war.
I believe peacetime USCG got moved from Transportation to Homeland Security several years ago, although I remember when it was part of Treasury.

BTW, while not technically "military," USCG is still considered a "uniformed service." So is Public Health, IIRC.

I believe peacetime USCG got moved from Transportation to Homeland Security several years ago, although I remember when it was part of Treasury.

BTW, while not technically "military," USCG is still considered a "uniformed service." So is Public Health, IIRC.

The CG went from Treasury to Transportation in the late 60s. Transportation to DHS right after DHS was created. And it is a bit of a hybrid, authorized under both Title 10 as a Federal Law Enforcement agency and under Title 14 as a military service. It is the only branch exempt from posse comitatus, and the only law enforcement agency that does not need probable cause to effect a search.

Last edited:

I got over wearing a uniform a long time ago. I wear my flight suit on missions because it is required and I never wear a uniform for regular meetings. There are usually a couple of wannabes who never served in uniform who are now in CAP or USCG Aux that like to wear their uniform all the time, with all their ribbons and badges. The former military guys just sort of snicker at them.

People who have never served in the active duty military think as you do. Those of us who have served know this is just love.
Haha. This is something that dawned on me working with some former military pilots (especially one). They wouldn't constantly rib you if they didn't like you or felt uncomfortable with you. Many times people raised in the civilian world don't get that culture and are put off by it.

NOAA as well, yeah, I forgot the Homeland Security takeover. USCG was originally the Revenue Cutter service.

If I recall correctly (it was 1958, after all), PPR means Prior Permission Required. When I was on active duty I chose to rent a 150 and fly to a Coast Guard Air Station to perform an inspection. In spite of the fact that I was a real, honest-to-goodness USCG officer, I had to get permission from the Commanding Officer to land there. When I did, I was met by the same contingent of fire-extinguisher bearers and baton-wielders that met real USCG flights. Same thing when I left.

Bob Gardner

As opposed to a fake CGAS?

Coast Guard isn't a branch of the military, my comment still stands that it is no longer a military base.

It would almost be safer to park at MJS on the south end of the east ramp. I don't remember there being tie downs on the guard ramp.

Refer to uscode.house.gov/download/pls/14C1.txt, especially the place where it says "...and a military service at all times."

Bob Gardner, LCDR, USCG (Ret)

uscode.house.gov/download/pls/14C1.txt

Bob Gardner

Re: PPR Clearances (Prior Permission Required)

Kimberly, I love your "go-getter" approach to all things aviation!

Last edited:
I started to get involved with CAP several years ago. I thought it was a cool mission, and I wanted to help. I expected it to be a well-trained, technically proficient organization. That wasn't really the case. It was more of a flying club than anything. There were some really good guys there, and some skilled pilots, but it wasn't the SAR operation I thought it was.

I would consider getting involved if I knew that my local wing took the entire mission seriously (not just the flying) and had a strong training program.

I got over wearing a uniform a long time ago. I wear my flight suit on missions because it is required and I never wear a uniform for regular meetings. There are usually a couple of wannabes who never served in uniform who are now in CAP or USCG Aux that like to wear their uniform all the time, with all their ribbons and badges. The former military guys just sort of snicker at them.

Yea :) seeing people mount up in a 182 wearing flight suits was kind of funny to watch.

I just don't like the idea of wearing a uniform derived from the service, while in a completely civilian capacity. Jeans and an embroidered polo would work just fine. Save the pretend-military stuff for the cadets.

Lol, been there done that. They just shrug their shoulders and get back to their puddle pirating. JK.

KMCC is still not a military base, the USCG is a part of the military but does not report to DOD. There :p

When I was an enlisted man on a ship patrolling the Atlantic puddle, I had no responsibility for the ship's navigation. Still, with the puddle being about 3000 feet deep I felt safe. Later in my career, when I patrolled the Pacific puddle as an officer, I was directly responsible for the operation of the ship...thank goodness, the puddle was 6000 feet deep and more forgiving of any mistakes I might make.

Bob Gardner

Last edited:

I would love that but from day one they have drilled into me that "we aren't like the others" and they are huge on uniforms. Money is an issue though so I hope I can get away with just buying trops and then I think the green flight suit is assigned to me (worth about $180 and it sounds like I don't have to pay for it).

Trops for me to attend the monthly meeting would look like this:

tbl1Female.gif

I think there is a skirt option and I think the "cover" (they don't like it when I say "hat") is different.

They say to plan to spend, in total, up to $500 all said and done in uniforms. Which sucks.

When I enlisted in 1946, the USCG was under the Treasury Department, which was notoriously cheap. We did not get paychecks for the first month of my enlistment because the appropriation got lost in the shuffle (of course, when you are in boot camp there is nowhere to go and nothing to spend money on). They did catch up, eventually.

I recall another instance during my white-hat days...the radiobeacon on Diamond Shoals Lightship went on the blink and I couldn't get out to fix it because there was no fuel money for the 83-footer that normally ferried me to the lightship.

Now, anything that is remotely connected to Homeland Security gets funded ASAP.

Bob Gardner

Inferiority has nothing to do with it.....it is about simplicity. Must remember that the blue jacket's mantra is 'If it moves, salute it, if it doesn't....paint it'.

Well this might be all for not.

Today, around 7am, skies were clear.

Tomorrow, forecast (closest TAF) at 7am is 1 mile viz, mist, and O/C at 100 feet.

Looks like I'm driving.

Ever the optimist, I'm picking up the keys late tonight from the school then taking them home tonight.

Tomorrow, I drive to the airport, arrive at 7am, look UP at the sky, and either drive or fly. Which means tonight I get to flight plan!

I do like flight planning.

Kimberly

The KSTS TAF looks like hell, but the KSFO TAF is fine. Scattered at 1500 after 10AM, few at FL200 otherwise.

In the absence of other information, I'd suspect the North Bay is problematic, but STS is just as far from you as SFO.

But the NWS Monterey forecast isn't showing fog anywhere in its region. It shows 60% sky cover over the northern Peninsula at 8AM, and ~20% elsewhere. NWS does not produce a ceiling forecast with this product, but <50% sky coverage should indicate no ceiling (> 50% may or may not mean a ceiling, depending on how high it is).

TAF confidence is reported as "low." If you haven't found the TAF discussions on ADDS, I find them to be among the most useful forecast products. But note that it is (currently) more than 5 hours old with low confidence.

AS OF 10:30 AM FRIDAY...VFR CONDITIONS WILL PREVAIL THROUGH THE FORECAST. HIGH PRESSURE WILL CONTINUE TO BUILD OVER THE REGION THIS AFTERNOON INTO THE EVENING HOURS...KEEPING SKIES MOSTLY CLEAR. LIGHT TO MODERATE ONSHORE WINDS WILL DEVELOP LATER THIS AFTERNOON AND CONTINUE INTO THE EARLY EVENING HOURS. OTHERWISE...SHORT TERM MODELS ARE IN AGREEMENT THAT STRATUS SHOULD DEVELOP OVERNIGHT AND IMPACT A FEW TERMINALS INTO SATURDAY MORNING. LOW CONFIDENCE.

VICINITY OF KSFO...VFR CONDITIONS WILL PREVAIL THROUGH THE FORECAST. MODERATE ONSHORE WINDS THIS AFTERNOON WITH A POSSIBLE RETURN OF STRATUS EARLY SATURDAY MORNING...LOW CONFIDENCE.

Things look really good at your destination
VFR CONDITIONS WILL PREVAIL ACROSS THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA INTERIOR THROUGH 00Z SUNDAY.

Last edited:
Thank you!

Since it would be silly not to at least attempt to fly, I will see how it goes.

However, since I have an APPOINTMENT, I cannot wait for takeoff. I have to make my go / no go decision at a time when driving would still get me there on time.

At 80 knots an online tool says it will take me 1 hour to fly (I should go much faster). It is about 60 - 65nm.

Google says it will take 2 hours to drive.

There is my problem.

Oh well, it is what it is.

Back