PPR Clearances (Permission To Park On The Ramp)

kimberlyanne546

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kimberly
So finally, after starting my research around June or July 2012, then attending two monthly meetings (one 2.5 hours away by car), filling out paperwork and fingerprints, paying two years of dues, and taking multiple choice examinations and attending PR events - it came in the mail today....

My temporary / applicant status to USCG AUX.

So now they do some unknown background check that might take as long as 9 months or could be a lot quicker.

After that, I can then get a military ID card and buy uniforms etc.

And to top it all off, like icing on a cake, I added this to

http://www.IFLYLIKEAGIRL.com

Just got off the phone with the real USCG Air Station regarding a PPR (permission to park on the ramp). How cool it will be if the day that I booked the plane ends up being VFR and I fly on my very first solo cross country as a private pilot to a military air station! Chances are, however, at 7 in the morning (winter) it will totally be IFR and I’ll have to drive. Fingers crossed.

Oh, and in case you are wondering – by “first solo cross country” I mean “first flight all alone.” I love to fly with pilot and non pilot passengers, and I do fly cross countries often (just not alone).

If I do fly on this 60-70nm XC, I get a secret password or something (not sure yet, they need to call me tomorrow). Then I go off frequency from the CTAF and onto some kind of military frequency to call up the USCG. If they aren’t in the middle of some ops, they will give me instructions and then marshall me in to park amongst the GI-NORMOUS C130′s.

That. Will. Be. Epic.

Woo hoo!

Last edited:
If I fly, I can't wait to take a picture of my tiny 172 parked next to some huge C130. Maybe some of the people there (in flight suits) can even be in the pictures. I think the others at the meeting will be in trops (tropical blues) which are NOT the same as flight suits.

usa_air_force_pilot_sticker.jpg

BTW, PPR means "Prior Permission Required," not "Permission to Park on the Ramp." Generally speaking, you need permission even to touch down at military bases, not just to park. The acronym PPR might be applied to many other situations, too, even at nonmilitary fields, say "Air carriers over 30 seats 24 hrs PPR fm arpt mgr."

Cool. I looked a bit into the coast guard auxillary, but there is no airwing close to me. Probably for the best, anyway. My wife would probably think I have lost my mind. I probably have. . . .

Let us know when you get to land on a carrier. :)

PPR is case by case, and base by base as well. It is not a blanket clearance.

Generally you will also need to be on orders to get that permission. It is not just granted to any ole GA flight

Scott
ADSO-AV
9th Western District USCG Aux.

Let us know when you get to land on a carrier. :)
After pilot training, the Coasties wouldn't normally do that unless they're on an exchange tour with the Navy or Marines, but I don't think they do such exchanges. And the USCG fixed-wing aircraft aren't carrier-capable at all. But they do land their helos on some very small decks, in really terrible conditions, and that always awes me.

Thats correct. Also, you dont get some "secret password" but rather you are on an arrival manifest, unless that has changed. You have to have a purpose for landing as well. You won't be able to fly into LAS Lemoore just because. You will have to be on USCG Aux business.

I doubt any active operation will prevent your landing Kim, unless the search area is McClellan itself. :D Not much happens there except take offs and landings. Wake turbulence might be a factor. And I hate to dash your hopes, but transient civilian A/C won't be parked next to ready service A/C on the ramp. It's not because you won't be welcome, it's because there are no tie downs on the 130 ramp. If a Herc were to start up and taxi away you might return to find your 172 blown someplace other than where you left it. :yikes:
I hope you have a blast.

Oh shes going to KMCC? Thats no longer a military base anyway. Its a public use airport....

Correct. I was there last month. Public but to taxi / park in certain areas you need permission.

I'm attending a once per year pilot / air crew training, so I do have reason to be there.

The air force base may be gone but it is a real Coast Guard Air Station.

They monitor CTAF, have C130s in hangars etc.

As opposed to a fake CGAS?

Coast Guard isn't a branch of the military, my comment still stands that it is no longer a military base.

It would almost be safer to park at MJS on the south end of the east ramp. I don't remember there being tie downs on the guard ramp.

Hey, I want a secret de-coder ring too! :)

That's great news Kim! Have fun!

Coast Guard isn't a branch of the military, my comment still stands that it is no longer a military base.

It would almost be safer to park at MJS on the south end of the east ramp. I don't remember there being tie downs on the guard ramp.

We were trained and tested on this. Apparently many think Coast Guard isn't a branch of the military. I will pull up the legal stuff etc to show you it is.

Umm... wat?

"The United States Coast Guard (USCG) is a branch of the United States Armed Forces and one of the seven U.S. uniformed services."

:dunno:

Correct. I was there last month. Public but to taxi / park in certain areas you need permission.

I'm attending a once per year pilot / air crew training, so I do have reason to be there.

Coast guard is a lot less formal that USAF. Talk to your AuxLo and/or your DSO-AV and they will get you the local procedures and if there is a training even that day my guess is that they will have part of the ramp for the Aux planes to park.

AS Traverse City is pretty easy, we have a part of the ramp for the planes away from the helos, no C130s to deal with. AS Detroit is on an ANGB and their procedures are little more formal and follow the USAF local procedures. So YMMV with what I tell you other than talk to the DSO-AV and AuxLo

If it is over 10,000 feet long and I need to be in class at 9 sharp I'm going to want to park as close as possible and was told by the Commander to request this permission if I'm flying in.

Umm... wat?

"The United States Coast Guard (USCG) is a branch of the United States Armed Forces and one of the seven U.S. uniformed services."

:dunno:

Yeah the guys I met get pretty upset when people say Coast Guard isn't military. They're real and have even been deployed to all recent overseas wars.

pretty sure the coast guard is a branch of the military

The legal basis for the Coast Guard is Title 14 of the United States Code, which states: "The Coast Guard as established January 28, 1915, shall be a military service and a branch of the armed forces of the United States at all times." Upon the declaration of war or when the President directs, the Coast Guard operates under the authority of the Department of the Navy.

As members of a military service, Guardians on active duty and in the Reserve are subject to the Uniform Code of Military Justice and receive the same pay and allowances as members of the same pay grades in the other four armed services.

Ok well to be more specific, it is not a part of the DOD.

True, they report to DHS instead of DOD, but that does not make them any less "military".

The five uniformed services that make up the Armed Forces are defined in 10 U.S.C. § 101(a)(4):
The term "armed forces" means the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard.
The Coast Guard is further defined by 14 U.S.C. § 1:
The Coast Guard as established 28 January 1915, shall be a military service and a branch of the armed forces of the United States at all times. The Coast Guard shall be a service in the Department of Homeland Security, except when operating as a service in the Navy.

I don't want to be in the same room if you tell a Coastie that they aren't military. :D

BTW, PPR means "Prior Permission Required," not "Permission to Park on the Ramp." Generally speaking, you need permission even to touch down at military bases, not just to park. The acronym PPR might be applied to many other situations, too, even at nonmilitary fields, say "Air carriers over 30 seats 24 hrs PPR fm arpt mgr."

It's also generally required for ALL Federal airfields, not just military ones. NASA, USFS, and DoE all have nonmilitary airfields.

I don't want to be in the same room if you tell a Coastie that they aren't military. :D

Lol, been there done that. They just shrug their shoulders and get back to their puddle pirating. JK.

KMCC is still not a military base, the USCG is a part of the military but does not report to DOD. There :p

Ok well to be more specific, it is not a part of the DOD.

I don't care who your boss is.

If you can be deployed to war you're in the military.

I will find out on Saturday what it is that Coasties do when people say stuff like that.

Kimberly

We were trained and tested on this. Apparently many think Coast Guard isn't a branch of the military. I will pull up the legal stuff etc to show you it is.

They are Department of Homeland Security (formerly Dept of Transportation before the 9/11 event)... As opposed to Dept of Defense...

They get military ID's and they give and get salutes. Coasties accompany the navy into many environments, since in SOME ways they are NOT considered military, yet in other ways they ARE.

In reality its semantics. A 50 cal bullet doesn't care what branch of the uniformed service pulled the trigger. Neither does its target.

Puddle pirates?

Why so much hate?

I was excited to start and maybe one day help in a search and rescue or other mission.

Kimberly

I don't care who your boss is.

If you can be deployed to war you're in the military.

I will find out on Saturday what it is that Coasties do when people say stuff like that.

Kimberly

They do nothing. I love the USCG, but just like any branch, you gotta give the other branches some crap.

Puddle pirates?

Why so much hate?

I was excited to start and maybe one day help in a search and rescue or other mission.

Kimberly

USSG = puddle pirate
USN = squid
USMC = trees
USAF = chair force
Army= ?? tree works again.

No hate, just some fun.

Odd. I could have sworn that when I was in uniform I had guys from other branches saluting me. (I retired as an O-5) Must have been mistaken. Actually you get used to this type of ignorance when serving in the USCG. No biggie. (Just a side note, when you see the pictures from WWII of the Marines huddling in the well of a landing craft headed for a beach? That guy standing up in back driving was USCG.) :D PS: I was going to join the Navy...but they found out my parents were married.

You show love in strange ways.

I like the Coast Guard so far.

Like the Air Force volunteer branch (CAP) we still have to wear uniforms and all that but it hasn't been too bad.

Then again my squadron is one of a kind (no boats).

So for the entire district (spans several states) we're the only one which makes us VERY different than your typical boat meeting.

People who have never served in the active duty military think as you do. Those of us who have served know this is just love. Enjoy being an Auxiliary puddle pirate, a step even lower than active duty PP! But even so, still better and higher up on the evolutionary ladder than the dogies! :D:D

You are in a flotilla, not a squadron and yours is exactly like mine, all aviators and no boats. Up until a couple of months ago we met at Chicago O'Hare. But with the redesign of the FBO due to runway construction we now meet at 06C, Schaumburg airfield, easier to fly in for meetings.

I like the Coast Guard so far.

Like the Air Force volunteer branch (CAP) we still have to wear uniforms and all that but it hasn't been too bad.

So for the entire district (spans several states) we're the only one which makes us VERY different than your typical boat meeting.

As I said earlier Kim..have a blast. And don't take this inter-service kidding too seriously. It is a way of life and actually rooted in mutual respect. (Except for the Navy of course, who deserved no respect because they are jealous that we could land on helo decks a third the size of a carrier elevator in any weather.)

Odd. I could have sworn that when I was in uniform I had guys from other branches saluting me. (I retired as an O-5) Must have been mistaken. Actually you get used to this type of ignorance when serving in the USCG. No biggie. (Just a side note, when you see the pictures from WWII of the Marines huddling in the well of a landing craft headed for a beach? That guy standing up in back driving was USCG.) :D PS: I was going to join the Navy...but they found out my parents were married.
I was active duty and reserve USAF, I had all my chromosomes so could not get into the Army or the Navy, we had lots of Coasties on base so I knew to whom to salute. I spent some time at Pensacola NAS a few years back and was in uniform (USCG AUX) and would get saluted from the Navy.

People who have never served in the active duty military think as you do. Those of us who have served know this is just love. Enjoy being an Auxiliary puddle pirate, a step even lower than active duty PP! But even so, still better and higher up on the evolutionary ladder than the dogies! :D:D

You are in a flotilla, not a squadron and yours is exactly like mine, all aviators and no boats. Up until a couple of months ago we met at Chicago O'Hare. But with the redesign of the FBO due to runway construction we now meet at 06C, Schaumburg airfield, easier to fly in for meetings.

No I'm talking about the squadron. We meet every other month. Yes I'm in a flotilla of course.

EDIT - I'm new so I may be rough on the terminology.

The Coast Guard may call their facility on the field a "Coast Guard Air Station," but the field itself is a publicly owned, public use airport run by the local government, and the USCG are merely tenants with no authority beyond their own ramp. However, to enter that ramp legally in a private aircraft, I'm sure you need their prior permission.

Back