PPL with Private Pilot Student?

G-Man

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
AirmanG
Asking for a friend of Anymouse...

Alvin has a PPL, no Commercial or CFI.
Theodore has a glider certificate with motor glider add on, but is a preSolo PPL student. And has a motor glider. No Commercial or CFI for gliders.

Can Alvin fly the motor glider if Theodore is aboard?

Can Theodore fly an SEP with Alvin aboard?

Can your idiot brother in law manipulate the controls of purd near anything as long as someone in an appropriate seat is legal as PIC?

Happens every freaking day.

Can said IBIL log the time if he is not rated (catagory / class)?

Nope.

Can your idiot brother in law manipulate the controls of purd near anything as long as someone in an appropriate seat is legal as PIC?
Play nice now Geoffrey.

As long as the PIC is appropriately rated for the craft they’re flying, than it doesn’t matter who they take along or who manipulates the controls as long as the PIC is willing.

Asking for a friend of Anymouse...

Alvin has a PPL, no Commercial or CFI.
Theodore has a glider certificate with motor glider add on, but is a preSolo PPL student. And has a motor glider. No Commercial or CFI for gliders.

Can Alvin fly the motor glider if Theodore is aboard?

Can Theodore fly an SEP with Alvin aboard?

So when you say that Theo has a glider certificate but is presolo PPL, what the heck do you mean??

So when you say that Theo has a glider certificate but is presolo PPL, what the heck do you mean??
I believe he’s meaning that Theo is rated to fly gliders, but is currently still in the Pre-Solo phase of his PPL training, thus he’s working toward a PPL certificate.

Not 100% but I'd say a PPL SEL can fly a motor glider, they come in all flavore but I've seen a few that basically are just a normal plane with a normal engine and a huge wing. Guess you'd have to get into the definition of when it's a SEL and when it's a glider.

I believe he’s meaning that Theo is rated to fly gliders, but is currently still in the Pre-Solo phase of his PPL training, thus he’s working toward a PPL certificate.

I think people mean Theo *has* a PP-Glider, but is working on his PP-Airplane. In which case, yes, he can act as PIC in the glider, but not in the airplane. Just like Alvin (with his PP-Airplane) can act as PIC in the airplane but not in the glider.

If people mean Theo *is working on* his PP-Glider, then no, he can't.

As long as someone is legally acting as PIC, the passenger can manipulate the controls.

A train leaves Los Angeles at 9am with 37 passengers, while an airplane leaves Muleshoe, Tx at 11am with one passenger......

Not 100% but I'd say a PPL SEL can fly a motor glider, they come in all flavore but I've seen a few that basically are just a normal plane with a normal engine and a huge wing. Guess you'd have to get into the definition of when it's a SEL and when it's a glider.
The aircraft's type certificate defines what it is. If it says motorglider, you need a glider certificate with self-launch privileges. If it says airplane, you need ppl, airplane. What the aircraft "looks like" isn't the determining factor. What it's certified as, is.

I think people mean Theo *has* a PP-Glider, but is working on his PP-Airplane. In which case, yes, he can act as PIC in the glider, but not in the airplane. Just like Alvin (with his PP-Airplane) can act as PIC in the airplane but not in the glider.
Could be. The original post was poorly written imo, hence why it’s difficult to provide a better answer.

Thread number 5,682 about something tenuously related to PIC that I bang my head against the wall upon opening.

The aircraft's type certificate defines what it is. If it says motorglider, you need a glider certificate with self-launch privileges. If it says airplane, you need ppl, airplane. What the aircraft "looks like" isn't the determining factor. What it's certified as, is.

Agreed, so the best way to answer the question would be to run the N number and see who's going to be PICing or not.

Ryan is correct in post #6, and sorry for the confusing wording.
Mostly wanted to know if a student pilot can manipulate controls without a CFI aboard.
Sounds like yes, since PIC is still PIC.

Back