PPL oral - weak subject areas

Arob16

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Arob16
Hey folks - I wanted to see what everyone's thoughts are on private pilot oral preparedness and weakness areas. Either as a CFI, examiner, or student - what do you feel the biggest gaps are or "weakness areas" are when it comes to student readiness for the oral exam? Multiple topics if needed. I'm interested to see what others' responses are to this.

My observations: Deeper understanding of air worthiness (i.e. how to look up AD's, 91.213 etc), physics/aerodynamics, weather theory

Thanks all
Adam

I was weak on weather. So that is the area I studied a ton before my oral. It helped that my CFI sat down and did a mock oral exam a couple of weeks prior to my actual test. I did ok on weather, but he wanted me to be able to really go deep on the prog charts and what was really happening with weather systems that affect us as pilots. I studied like crazy and two things happened - 1. I aced the oral and impressed the hell out of the DPE with knowledge of weather tools, theory and how to use it all to be a safe pilot and 2. I became a weather junkie and will review weather products even if not flying just because it is so damn interesting.

Highly recommend students getting your CFI to do a mock oral with you. You will realize the areas where you need to brush up or go deeper.

All the above + remember it's open book. Mark up your AIM with areas that are very dense or procedural. My DPE hit my strong stuff first. What is your XC plan, why this particular routing, is the weather OK? He started looking for something to trip me up on, so he asked me what would change if we went at 14k msl, instead of the 6 in my plan. Went through wind, he then went "What else?". Stumped for a sec, then Oxygen! What I could not remember was the nuances of 30 minutes vs longer. Went to the AIM and answered in detail.

Reason for the long story, there will be something you don't know, regardless of well you prepare. Learn what is where in the FAR/AIM and show you know that as part of answering.

Just demonstrate reasonable knowledge base and decision making capability and you’ll be fine.

Been a few years but my DPE asked what “the five P’s” of decision making, or some such current FAA nonsense. I told him I had no idea but had spent my entire professional career making life altering decisions and didn’t need some mnemonic for that......he was OK w that.
Be reasonable, don’t BS, don’t be confrontational - this too will pass

as @jordane93 said, Systems.

Don't roll through mnemonics. They already know that A TOMATO FLAMES. My DPE stopped me at the first O. Fortunately the room we were in had a "pseudo-panel" built from a bunch of in-op instruments so I could point at it and describe it all. The visual helped me talk him through it.

A few common weak areas pop up for me - basic aerodynamics is a big one. A private pilot should be able to discuss induced drag and correlate the knowledge with flight portion tasks (slow flight, stalls, etc.)

Not being able to read (any) of the RMKs on a METAR is another. There are quite a few which are hard to memorize, but even a private pilot ought to know the difference between A01 and A02, temperature/dewpoint in tenths per degree of celsius, that sort of thing. And if unable to recall, know where the find the "decoder."

One of the things which tend to grind the ground portion to a halt is an inability on the part of the applicant to find the correct FAA publication reference if they're unable to recall the correct answer. Good idea for instructors and students to spend time finding "the right answer."

I did my private through a part 61 school and am in the instrument course at a 141 where some friends are taking the private stage checks. I would say that in both environments the students struggled with maintenance the most. It isn't really knowing the required inspections because they can shoot off acronyms quick. The main thing is reading and understanding the maintenance logs.

Can't recommend enough to a hire a different highly experienced CFI for a mock oral. Took all the jitters out for me and breezed through the actual oral exam.

That CFI gave me precious advice. Met the DPE several days in advance to review your records! Most will do this for free following a check ride of another student. In my case there is an issue with my IACRA record and slight log book issue that would have driven a discountenance and another DPE fee.

Last edited:
Back