PP flying a student pilot..any benefits?

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
As a private pilot that is planning to take a student pilot flying in a few days.. Are there any benefits for him to fly with me other than to learn by watching me? There isn't anything he could log could he?

As a private pilot that is planning to take a student pilot flying in a few days.. Are there any benefits for him to fly with me other than to learn by watching me? There isn't anything he could log could he?

I hope you don't have any bad habits his CFI will have to break later:lol:

I hope you don't have any bad habits his CFI will have to break later:lol:

I don't think 1 flight will make habits that are difficult to break. He could also see what not to do on the flight depending on the pilots skill level.

Hopefully he wont learn any bad tricks ;) just kidding! I was just wondering if he could log anything from the flight. I don't believe he can, but was just wondering. Thx

No. He can log nothing worth logging. He's not PIC, and it's not dual.

A student can gain some insights from a private pilot. For instance, what the point of training for the private pilot certificate is. What you do for fun flying, how the VFR real world works, etc. Maybe some bad habits…gotta watch that.

He can practice stuff while you're PIC, but it's better to do this with an instructor in the correct seat. You're responsible for everything he does, as PIC.

Let me first say that I do not have the FARs memorized but I feel safe in saying, No he cannot log anything. As a student pilot he can log time that he flies with his CFI as dual and he can log solo time as authorized by his instructor. Flying with another pilot is not solo flight and since you are not his CFI he cannot log any time if he is flying with you. You would be the pilot in command and as such you would be responsible for all aspects of the flight. So if he were to crash your airplane because you were unable to recover from his mistake you would be responsible. My best recommendation would be to leave the training to the students CFI.

This is what I thought. I'm not gonna be "instructing" him, we're just gonna be joyride flying. I was just curious about it, thanks!

I wouldn't let the student land or practice any stalls/spins/stuff like that but working on navigation skills, holding headings/altitudes, generally seeing how it's done in the real world could be beneficial.

Not sure if it's worthwhile but if you both just want the excuse it sounds like fun.

I dont plan to do any of that hea basically just gonna be riding along with me

Well then, have fun and show him why you're a pilot.

I've had a few student pilots on CAP cadet "orientation rides." In that case, the syllabus may or may not be appropriate for that student. I'll try to teach them something they don't know, but would learn real soon anyway.

The last one, just post-solo, got a circle around the biggest local mountain (Diablo) 500 feet below the summit. I pointed out the upwind lift (modest, but he saw the uncommanded climb) and downwind turbulence (a couple of mild thumps). And we switched cadet seats (one back seat, one right seat) at Oakland so he could see a VFR Class C landing and departure, and how it really wasn't that different from Class D except for an additional frequency change.

For a pre solo student, just demonstrating flight following can be useful. The "ATC is your friend" message is a good one, that often needs a little help with students. Especially when you get a traffic call for 3 o'clock high in a 172.

On nice days, there are several really nice scenic flights that can be done around here. Especially a trip to Half Moon Bay if the weather supports it. There has to be something like that around you, right?

Something student pilots can appreciate is a flight over an undercast, provided there is a good way out. That's legal for private pilots, but not student pilots. It works very nicely with marine layer.

Lots of potential benefits, no logging.

Last edited:
Take him up, let him fly a bit if you feel comfy with it, nothing goes in his logbook.

If he was under the hood, could he log sole-manipulator with the PP acting as safety?

I put a non-pilot friend in the left seat, as he was considering taking the plunge, but not being a CFI, he couldn't log the time. . .

If he was under the hood, could he log sole-manipulator with the PP acting as safety?

If he is a "Pilot" then you are a passenger.
And he can't be a "Pilot" with passengers unless he is minimally rated for that plane.

Take him flying. Have fun.

Slightly minority opinion here.

Agree with all that has been said regarding logging time toward any FAA requirement for experience, training, or currency.

When my student pilot son with 50+ hrs flies with me, he files left seat and has the controls the whole flight. He logs that total time, but 0 for PIC and 0 for dual and 0 for X/C. However, we do include that time in the experience we put on the insurance form each year.

When I was training a few times I was invited go up for an hour or 2 with other pilots who were going to drill holes in the sky. I couldnt log it but for the most part it was quite valuable. We would work on navigation exercises and general pilotage with me at the controls. There wasnt much I could do to screw up or learn bad habits in mostly straight and level flight, but it was good experience on situational awareness and keeping my head looking out of the plane and keeping track of where we were without the magenta line.

So my vote is let them take the controls and turn the GPS off (or put it where only you can easily see if if its portable) and let them practice some less utilized pilotage.

Get a CFI to sit in the back seat then he can log sole manipulator. Hell I'll do it. Where do you live?

Slightly minority opinion here.

Agree with all that has been said regarding logging time toward any FAA requirement for experience, training, or currency.

When my student pilot son with 50+ hrs flies with me, he files left seat and has the controls the whole flight. He logs that total time, but 0 for PIC and 0 for dual and 0 for X/C. However, we do include that time in the experience we put on the insurance form each year.

IMHO, that's going to lead to nothing but confusion down the road. As to the insurance application, hopefully there's never an accident where anyone ever looks at his logbook, as that's borderline insurance fraud. You're fooling yourself if you don't think that's exactly how the insurance company will look at it.

Get a CFI to sit in the back seat then he can log sole manipulator. Hell I'll do it. Where do you live?

There is no such thing as "sole manipulator" time. One can log PIC time when acting as the sole manipulator of the controls in an aircraft for which that person is rated (category/class/type). Also, I don't think all that many CFIs buy into the whole "dual from the back seat" nonsense.

There is no such thing as "sole manipulator" time. One can log PIC time when acting as the sole manipulator of the controls in an aircraft for which that person is rated (category/class/type).
Specifically it's not allowed for student pilots. That reg starts "A sport, recreational, private, commercial, or airline transport pilot may log pilot in command flight..."

Frankly, even if it's entirely intangible, never hurts to get some time in the air. I can't tell you the number of times Margy's instructor turned to me when doing an IPC or some other advanced instruction and told me to ride along in the back "You'll learn something." Although, on one flight with a student trying to get checked out in the club Cessna 180, the lesson was (confided to me out of earshot of the student) was "See what you have to put up with when you're an instructor." The student seemed bent on disagreeing and otherwise disregarding what the instructor was trying to tell him.

Last edited:
Back