Powered Headsets

Joegoersch

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
JoeGoersch
I love my headsets but occasionally have had the batteries die on approach. Very distracting to have to reach into bag and change batteries. I could change them before every flight and this is clearly the cheapest option to avoid the problems. Or I can get the 6 pin outlet installed into my plane on pilot and copilot side. Now's a good time to do it as plane is in annual. Then I have to spend a couple of hundred bucks more for new cable on A20's.

Any thoughts ?
How much should I have to pay shop to install the 6 pin adapters ? How many hours labor is reasonable ?

What headset do you have? It should still work when the batteries die...you just lose the noise reduction.

I have the Bose A20. It works but not nearly as quiet as when noise cancelling is functioning. I find the louder engine noise distracting and makes communications less easy at a potentially critical flight time.

The Bose gives you plenty of warning about low batteries. I just change them when I notice the indicator start flashing orange. Never had a problem doing it that way.

The ship power headsets are kind of nice though, when that is an option. I don’t like that approach personally however, because it is not a good option for people who change airplanes frequently.

While it's true that the indicator flashes orange, it's not a perfect answer. For one thing, you have to glance at your headset body to notice it, and it's not in your panel -- in your lap at best. For another thing, the A20 manual warns you not to use Lithium batteries.

I flew in an airplane with the 6-pin and found that the connector is surprisingly durable, for a plastic thingie. So I would be all for adding one.

I love my headsets but occasionally have had the batteries die on approach. Very distracting to have to reach into bag and change batteries. I could change them before every flight and this is clearly the cheapest option to avoid the problems. Or I can get the 6 pin outlet installed into my plane on pilot and copilot side. Now's a good time to do it as plane is in annual. Then I have to spend a couple of hundred bucks more for new cable on A20's.

Any thoughts ?
How much should I have to pay shop to install the 6 pin adapters ? How many hours labor is reasonable ?
Not a problem on the David Clark ENC headsets. When the battery is going, you get a little warble. Just switch the noise canceling off and you still have great passive protection and then headset still works!

I made headset battery indicator check a part of my preflight/post-flight routine. Plenty of warning there.

I got some little plastic AA battery holders that hold four of them and shoved them in a little pocket in my flight bag.

I suppose IMC on an approach I wouldn’t bother changing them, but pretty much any other time it’s no big deal to pop the cover, toss the dead ones somewhere they won’t fly around, reach in the bag and get two more, and pop them in.

Then the battery holder in the flight bag gets new ones.

On my lightspeed, there is an amber light, but like @zaitcev alluded to; you have to glance down. I estimated the batteries i use will last about 35-40hrs... I keep four fresh ones in my flight bag at all times. Oh I had mines go out on an approach during training... luckily my instructor was able to get some fresh ones.. it does become quite noisy.

Losing noise cancelling isn't nearly as distracting as getting shocks from the headset...don't ask me how I know, but ears are VERY sensitive to electrical shocks! :eek:

I use rechargeable batteries. I’ve lost power on local flight because it’s not that big a deal, but part of my preflight for a trip is to charge those batteries the night before, just like I charge up other portable flight electronics.

And, like others, I carry a spare set of traditional alkaline for backup.

Back